FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Butch
A picture really is worth a thousand words. A digital one must be worth 10 thousand.
Dan

Even though out of stock, I order one today. I have the HF cheapie but this appears to be far superior and although it may take a while to get, at least its still at the $99 sale price.

Luckily, I managed to get 4 of them with my first plowing paycheck when the thread first started. I am impressed but have yet to put one into permanent service. I'm more than happy with my current grinder situation so these will be "extras". Or I might wait till the NH sale is over and they are back to their normal price and make a few bucks to have on of the PRO's fully mod a 7900 or 5100S for my shop Demo unit HaHaHa. Now all of us AS guys have depleted the stock.

Then again, I sold 60 of the 511A grinders on eBay. Right now the best going price of OREGON 511A grinders is $289.00 with free shipping. A long ways from $100.00 for the NH unit. I like both units. I prefer the 511a over the knock-off but the NH grinder is easy to love at the price. It's like buying a Pull-On to use and abuse because 100 bux is a days pay.

I put mine to use today and screwed up one chain to the point that it would only produce dust. This thing has more adjustments than the HF :help: I failed to adjust vise tilt angle to the 10deg angle on a chain that needed it. I thought the grind looked odd, but what the heck, let's go cut wood. All I made was powder and heat. Lucky for me I only sharpened one of my chains and had others to use. When I got back I read the destructions and tried it again. Looks like it should and works great now. Nice chips.

Ian

Haywire Haywood said:
I put mine to use today and screwed up one chain to the point that it would only produce dust. This thing has more adjustments than the HF :help: I failed to adjust vise tilt angle to the 10deg angle on a chain that needed it. I thought the grind looked odd, but what the heck, let's go cut wood. All I made was powder and heat. Lucky for me I only sharpened one of my chains and had others to use. When I got back I read the destructions and tried it again. Looks like it should and works great now. Nice chips.

Ian

Yep, not going to work for you.... you should sell it to me. LOL

Well mine came in yesterday while I was gone....It is missing a couple pieces..

Actually it is missing alot. The base and top piece are there, but there are no gaurds, hardware or grinding wheels with it. How many wheels came with your guy's grinders? I'll have to call them on monday. The box was a little beat up and the mounting holes look like they've had bolts in them once before... I wonder If I got a returned, used grinder???

Anywho, it looks like a nicely made unit, well at least what is there.

So has anyone found out if the motor is reversible yet?

Three wheels, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4. Thats too bad. My shipping box was beat, but everything was there. Sounds like they've had enough returned that they could make up a whole kit for you. Or just send you an Oregon to make up for it.

They will second day air you one

Give them a call as soon as possible Monday. Ask them to open the next unit inspect it and double box it..They did that on my second grinder. My third came just single boxxed but unharmed.
I am going to go use mine..Just to dress up the chain is was trenching with yesterday.. I mean cutting with. LOL

I am amazed at how well these dudes sharpen up a chain. I always said I would rather file one for touch up. But I have found I can just barely skim the tooth with the wheel and put an excellent edge back on it.

Mine came double boxed. It seems they have had alot of shipping problems with these which I think is just being lazy or cheap. By the time they have to pay UPS twice, one would think they have lost anything they have saved.
I guess I got lucky, nothing is broken or missing though I haven't got to use it yet.

my setup

Here is my setup. The grinder is removable by simply pulling the 2x6 out of the slotfor storage..in the off season.. (whenever that is)The grinder is at shoulder height.. I see no reason to bend over to see what I am doing. We have over 600 treetops laying on the ground from recent logging activity..Anyone from Indiana needing some free firewood.. You cut of course.....

ericjeeper said:
Ok fess up who from AS is selling theirs to make 81 bucks?

Not I says I. As any prim and proper AS site member would do mine has allready been modded anyway:chainsaw: I think woods ported/

CaseyForrest said:
I just shot the seller a question.

Me too... ROFL.. I suggested that he wait till the sale is over before he starts selling them.:hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

Thanks for a lot of good info

I had been listening to you guys ideas on the Northern chain sharpener and I ordered one. It came while we were in Duluth Ga last week. (by the way I went to thier store and this model was not in the store). Mine came all ok with nothing broke so I put it together and sharpened a chain with it today. I put the chain on and it cut just fine. I agree with one of the other posts that some of the adjustment surfaces need cleaned up but it does a great job for $100. And this is from a guy that uses about all Snap On tools. Thanks for all of the good input.

olyman said:
freaking--asking us if its reversible--and your the resident electrician???? help man---

I can make it run backwards, that is not the problem. Making the motor last is. If it isn't designed to run backwards, it will be short lived. I took it apart and seems to be fairly easy with the correct base switch, but like I said, I don't want to burn it up running it backwards....

I know three phase motors won't last running backwards. That is where my "expertise" comes in. I know very little about single phase motors. Most DC motors can spin either way based on polarity without negative effects. Not sure on single phase A/C motors....I guess I could try it if they decide to send me another one.... There isn't any kind of diamgram or spec sheet on the motor casing. Makes me wonder. I'm off to do a little searching now......

Latest posts

Back