Gaff Length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I use a pair of buckingham Replacable gaffs with the 2 1/2 " gaffs . I have heard some climbers use pole gaffs on thin barked trees. Does anyone here have experience with pole gaffs? :blob2:

Mike, Ive wundered a few times if i should go with the shorter length hooks for the reason the longer hooks were wobly unless i really kicked them in and of course that can be painful at times.

What length would you use on a pine tree? I'd assume the long ones. I've thought of getting a set of wraps but since i only use spikes about every 2 weeks I wasnt sure if they would be advantageous for more or not. :blob2:

I too personally use pole gaffs..............

They tend to work great on the thin barked trees, but they certainly do kick out on the thicker ones unless you have your knees so far out that they may as well be behind your head. But they still work. Just make sure that you have your lanyard/flipline in place before you head to high!

However, this aside, they serve their purpose and due to the reletive cost of new ones, I imagine that I will keep using them on all trees for the next while........ I am like you DDM in that the spikes are not used daily, therefore, I happy with what I have.

There is exceptions to all rules . But its pretty darn hard to climb trees w/ tree gaffs hear in So. Cal. Trees dont have very much bark

2 1/4" gaff would be nice but I don`t think anyone makes them.
I think they pretty much go from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2+".

LOL Budroe, Removals Theres no telling how much work i've gained from telling the customer at an estimate To make sure whomever does there pruning to make sure they dont let them use Spikes. Because all the rest of the local services use Gaffs. :cool:

Mike i didnt think you used gaffs Because the got in the way of your toes grasping onto the branches. :D

DDM,
so far i'm hitting all of my palms from the ground w/ my echo
ppt 260 w/ 5' extension. i'm hitting palms over 20' on my 28'
fiberglass ladder and chainsaw. being way safe, tying the ladder into the palm, climbing up w/ the saw on a lanyard and hooking up at the top before prunning.
i've been gaining access to my laurel and live oak w/ the ladder as well. i'm getting up in the trees as far as i can then shooting up a line in the main lead and tying into that. it's working on the tight branched laurels but the lives are more spread out......
just finished up a nice job and looking for some serious climbing gear. i'm making the purchase then heading up north for arbor master training in the fall. i'm taking my time and doing it right.
god i love this sh*t!!!!!!!!!
budroe:cool:

Glad to hear it Budroe, Arbormaster was having some classes in Orlando this year i thought. We were going to have one here in Greenville but there wasnt enough people enrolled. Where are you going to attend? :blob2:

i was up in new hampshiere while the conference
was going on in orlando at the end of june.
i'm trying to swing a trip up to mass. in sept.
they haven't given any specifics as to where but
i've got inlaw in mass. business it totally taking off.
i'm booked thru the end of the month and i haven't
even done any advertising yet!!!!!!
budroe:cool:
p.s. if i don't fly up in the fall, i'll have to swing by on the way up!!!!!:blob2:

I use pole spikes. they are great on pines and other thin bark trees. When I'm taking out a live oak or climbing a tree with thick vines I'll borrow my buddys long gaffs. There is a difference in the fatigue, I like my short gaffs. Single wrap only. I also use no spikes as a selling point on trim jobs. Most guys who spike (which is 99% around here) while trimming now use a ladder so the holes don't start until about 20ft up. I also point this out to customers. In a typically residentail neighborhood you only need to look 1-2 houses away to point out the marks left by gaffs. I sell about 80% of what I bid. But that is not Yellow page traffic, 90% referrals.
Greg

Latest posts

Back