Game of Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have tried a few different ways......including gol, won't try that again lol...........the best for me here is to gut it. and im speaking of large hardwood, 40 degrees or more and some times partially uprooted.

Nate i had one do that. the fix is simple, valve lapping compound. put some in the fly wheel socket and rock it back n forth a bit until it feels smooth, then clean it off with carb cleaner. use a new key and snug it up good.
see the key only indexes the wheel to the shaft, its the friction that locks it there. your wheel wore a little bit when it happened and now don't quite fit exact. the compound fix only takes a few minutes.

Solid advice. I might just have a thing of Clover lapping compound still from the last time I did a set of heads.

last winter i cut a big tulip like my avatar, 40"+ partial uproot, hard lean. i knew i wouldn't get much face so i thought i would try to gol it. the tension wood started to split vertically in front of my nose way before i could saw out the back. of course it was rocking in the root ball at the same time. i lost about 4' of wood.

I rarely see anything leaning more than about 25 degrees. By the time they are tilted more than that they are on the ground without my help.

Here are pictures of the cutting of the big tree. Maybe you fallers:bowdown: can figure out what went wrong. I think it had something to do with more rot in the tree than estimated.
View attachment 456962 View attachment 456963 View attachment 456965 View attachment 456966
the backcut seems to be way too high in relation to the scarf, maybe thats the norm over there? our training techniques in a rotten or hollow tree would have had a lower backcut with the deepest permissible scarf, a leaner would be bored from the hinge to the rear.
fangst

so hard to say with out being there......and i don't know that wood. with out knowing, probably would block out the holding side for more flex and snipe the top to hold to the stump longer. looked like alot of lean........
i try like hell to not be foolin around with yard trees. i guess ideally, if i had to.......long 3/4 cable and a skidder, cripple it up and break it off with the skidder :D you did ask how i would bro lol.
my typical falling, if i do mess up and the stick don't follow lay, worst i have to do is clean up sticks from an smz or alter my skid trail.

sure hope you ain't gonna be workin on a shed next week.........
Haha .. For sure..you guys are not here so..there really isn't any wrong answer. We can't break the shead over the internet. It's for entertainment value anyways.
OK and the odd bad answer dosen't tip the scale..not even close. I change my answer to agree with you on this thread. You were sharper than I that day...all good. I'm like most Fallers, that we can test fibres to the max on our wood because we don't have obstruction in our way. Some guys only have worked live wire or residential ( res) work and will never learn the capabilities of the lower fibers. This tree had one part of the upper stem offset 5' from the top of base to the low side.
I guess you do what you can to make it 100% or don't do it at all I have learnt. So there would be a place to put your skidder and run a line in the one direction open. You would need a block or you would only pull the tree into the cedar & hemlock.
Don't know how you are getting your line up the tree? Could put the line low but dosen't control it. Also the butt needs to be tied highside '90°' off the direction of fall to the butt so it doesn't spring over the bank and into the shead.

stand on the arch and hook high as i can reach..........like ya say thats sketchy lol. done it in woods on boundary and smz........not like cutting around buildings.

so...........how did you make out with it? bad deal?

I have lived on east and west coast ,out west the people are a lot different than back east ,back east they seemed friendlier than here ,may just been where i ended up here ,but seems like more people like each other on the rh coast than here .
i can't say i agree with ya bro. granted, you live there but the folks i'v met on here seem as friendly as any where. i have to say, about half the population here are truly A holes. don't seem to matter if they are implants or from old family's
seems to be more of a generation thing around here.
besides......you are there, and friendly lol.

Folks out here are mostly just paranoid.

Once you get to know em its not so bad... the lack of sunlight or just being rained on makes everyone feel like your in a really bad horror film with a poor budget and no plot, just plodding. Everyday plodding to work, plodding through work, plodding home, plodding to the crapper, plodding to the bank... plodding through puddles.

Then some wise ass from NEW YORK CITY! comes along ******** about how nice a day it is... kinda makes you wanna punch em in the fun parts.

Not bad ...but a few mistakes and ended up getting dark by the time it was down. My plan was to pull it off the lean 180° with a jack or use my truck from over the fence by hanging
a rope by tying a block and throwing it through the high crotch then pull it plumb then set wedges to hold and redirect to fall in the hole. I went with the bottle jack with the same concept and put a low undercut in. Sounds good right??

I once walked the Seattle waterfont and decided to do a little test. I said "hi" to ten people. ONE said hi back to me. Most wouldn't even look at me.

I think they thought I was some wierdo

70% of the people in this state are not from here. That may be higher in Seattle. But whatever it is, don't move here, too many people are. Chances are they have earbuds going with tunes and didn't hear you.

I am not particularly "friendly". Introverts are not usually going to be slobbering all over you right off. Many of us are of Scandihoovian ancestory, and were taught to keep out of other people's business--leave folks be.

Right Brian, good thing to do but this was not mine,
So..big mistake when you commit to a plan with untested equipment. The jack was dry so I tried to put so fluid in but didn't work and it was getting dark.
Because I took it 180° of the lean it was now the wrong angle to pull from over the fence with my truck as it would break the holding wood. I did end up removing the jack and was able to wedge out sideways from the middle burrying the 12" then throwing a rope up, tied back to a stump on the high side and made a poor mans come-a-long "poor mans") with a boulin on the bite. That's done pushing on the rope sideway with three people in this case.
I wasn't sure a would be able to wedge it but normally I would have backcut first with a small U/C then gone higher and repeated then higher with a redirect. (No rope or jack needed.) I didn't plan for back up plans and used untested equipment.
So mistakes for sure.
BTW ...what kind of fluid would that jack take...Beer???no...

The saga continues....

Back