Gas cans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what type of gas cans do you guys use when cutting?

right now i've got the POS style where you have the yellow outside of the spout and have to push it down-that part i dont have a problem w/...its the fact that the POS threads (plastic) dont seal up and keep the thing from leaking-i have never cross threaded/striped it when put it on. I am able to put it on the same # of turns every time but bout 1 out of 8 tries it will seal up:chainsaw: -any ideas on how to possibly fix this problem??

Do many of you still use the metal "saftey can"?-we use those in the BOCES program im in at high school for chain saw gas-but i dont seem to be able to find them.

thanks for the help

All of my gas cans are the new EPA cans that we all love.... Spill more gas than with these "spillproof" cans than I ever did with a vented can.

I vote for the steel cans

I use the metal safty cans from EAGLE which I am very happy with. I bought a few different sizes online last year from a company called dawgalog. If i remember correctly they sell all kinds of safty and spill prevention equipment.

www.dawginc.com

We use the red plastic ones with 2 types of spouts; some are push-in and some have solid spouts with yellow caps. We have 4 types and sizes for 4 types of gas: 5 gallons are for diesel. 2 gallon hard necks are for super gas. 2 gallon flexi-push-in spouts are for regular gas. 1 gallon flexi-push-in spouts are all super pre-mix gas-oil mix 45:1.

Works well for us. As for spillage... goes with the territory. Especially filling the diesel in the tractor.

I got this really cool one at Home depot, that has a nozzle that slides in and out with a built in valve. push in the nozzle (when it is in the tank) and it lets the gas out, no spillage it is sweet

mattyb-yea those look pretty close to the ones that we use in class....a bit on the expensive side but if i dont find anything else....i'll bite the bullet

windthrown-would you happen to know the manufacture of those cans? or where they can be acquired at?

thanks for the help:clap:

Lignum-do you use the funnel deal that you can buy for those cans-do they work good for fillin saws?...i was just lookin at those cans on the site mattyb posted

after i got to lookin on some of those cans, they seem like they should last a while to prove the price, some being actually not to bad once i got to diggin LOL

what type of gas cans do you guys use when cutting?

right now i've got the POS style where you have the yellow outside of the spout and have to push it down-that part i dont have a problem w/...its the fact that the POS threads (plastic) dont seal up and keep the thing from leaking-i have never cross threaded/striped it when put it on. I am able to put it on the same # of turns every time but bout 1 out of 8 tries it will seal up:chainsaw: -any ideas on how to possibly fix this problem??

Do many of you still use the metal "saftey can"?-we use those in the BOCES program im in at high school for chain saw gas-but i dont seem to be able to find them.

thanks for the help

The threads don't/ won't seal. There should be a rubber washer. This washer asctually goes between the hose and the thread collar not the thread collar and the threads. Make sense? I like the yellow spouted ones and they don't make them anymore. I use the ones you mentioned for 5 gal but when I fill the saws I pour from a 1 gal container. If I'm on a job and see one I offer to buy it from the customer... no luck as of late.

No I don't use a funnel with those cans. There is a wire screen in the spout section and the way the can is formed, the gas pours out in a distinct shape, the gas when it flows out has a groove shape to it. It retains the same shape pour no matter how full, or empty it is. And there is no burping when the gas is flowing, again, no mater the fuel level in the can. The only real grumble I have is getting the mix in, but that is my own problem, I have a larger mix bottle, and have since acquired a graduated ounce measuring container for adding to the gallon can. I got a deal on those cans, the company I work for was going through a 'spring cleaning' and they were going to toss them out, and I gave them a new home. I have 2 of them and keep one full of mixed fuel, and when it gets low, I mix up he other can. It works wonderful for me, a novice firewood chunker.

Last edited:
goatchin, yea I agree they were a bit pricey but every time I use them It becomes more and more apparent that they were worth the investment. I believe that the website I posted had (at least last year) the best price on the Eagle cans. the only place local to me that carries them was lesco and they wanted quite a bit more $ for the same can. I'm fairly certain that the yellow plastic funnels were included with the gas can.

The threads don't/ won't seal. There should be a rubber washer. This washer asctually goes between the hose and the thread collar not the thread collar and the threads. Make sense? I like the yellow spouted ones and they don't make them anymore. I use the ones you mentioned for 5 gal but when I fill the saws I pour from a 1 gal container. If I'm on a job and see one I offer to buy it from the customer... no luck as of late.

yup the gasket/washer is in the correct spot...before i go buying a new can quite yet im gonna go to our auto parts store and see if they got a gasket that is same size and all but a bit softer... the one that is in it seems to quite hard...not dry cracked yet but hard-thats probally where the problem is???-sound like i might be onto something???

yea i got to thinking that too

the only question i have w/ them is, how long do the "mechanism" (can't think of the word/phrase the website uses) actually will last before goin bad-the pressure seal part and the spout end. have you notice the seal lagging to close when you let go of the handle after it has been used for quite some time??? one of the cans at the class does that but that one is gone now....so its not a problem now

I prefer a 1 gallon windshield washer fluid jug. If it gets crushed by a tree, skidder etc I'm not out anything but what was in the jug :) It gets filled from a Chilton five gallon jug that stays in the truck

Last edited:
well never thought of that route but i'd be concerned about pressure build up from changin temps, etc., and then gettin the liquid gold in my saw-those jugs seem to want to p!ss down the side. i might just have to try it and see how it might work out to my liking

I have a cheapie plastic 1-gallon from wally for mix, end up using an antifreeze jug most of the time. What I'm used to, been doing it for 20 years now. I spill less with the antifreeze jug than with any "real" gas can I've tried. Best gas cans I've ever had I found in a ditch in Maine, musta fallen out, they'd been there a few weeks already. Cleaned up, still have them. One is the type in Lignum's last post, good for bigger stuff.

well never thought of that route but i'd be concerned about pressure build up from changin temps, etc., and then gettin the liquid gold in my saw-those jugs seem to want to p!ss down the side. i might just have to try it and see how it might work out to my liking

I have never had any pressure issues with my cans, even when sitting in the back of my truck in 90 degree weather, no pressure is retained in the can. They even hold the liquid when they are on their sides and bouncing around when driving.

i think that will be my "route of attack" LOL on this-i'll see how it works out when i get time to cut after school this week...school lasts to long for these short winter days LOL

if yall got anymore ideas or comments-keep'm a comin please, the more ideas the better.

Back