Gas coming out of muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw2007

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a MS361 which is in great shape. It starts and runs fine. However when i rev the engine not under load about 2/3 throttle i notice gas seeping out of the muffler. What would be causing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It would be #7 in this ipl., it is a disc that covers the orifices, and if loose would cause gas to flow freely into these
ports.
I am not familiar with this particular carb, there may be other causes in this carb, but in my experience, it is usually a loose welch plug and worth a peek.
plug 001.JPG

Out of my 9 operational saws most notably do the exact same thing. Is an argument be made that they all need new carburetors? Raw gas does not exist anyway near the muffler it would some how catch on fire and burn up. The saw maybe running in excess on the rich side, but that does not mean anything is wrong. If the saw starts to clean out well once a load is put on it then leave it alone. What you are seeing is that you have unburnt oil seeping out the muffler. When the saw is at its most rich point the oil will not be very hot so it is going to collect on the muffler. If you want to be sure run the saw hard then check the plug. If it is a tan color then you are very close to perfection or if it is chocolate then lean it out a very small amount and check it again. Thanks

Out of my 9 operational saws most notably do the exact same thing. Is an argument be made that they all need new carburetors? Raw gas does not exist anyway near the muffler it would some how catch on fire and burn up. The saw maybe running in excess on the rich side, but that does not mean anything is wrong. If the saw starts to clean out well once a load is put on it then leave it alone. What you are seeing is that you have unburnt oil seeping out the muffler. When the saw is at its most rich point the oil will not be very hot so it is going to collect on the muffler. If you want to be sure run the saw hard then check the plug. If it is a tan color then you are very close to perfection or if it is chocolate then lean it out a very small amount and check it again. Thanks
Gas "seeping" out of the muffler?

Thanks Ted. It maybe oil not gas as you described. The muffler was hot so did not touch it. I can take some pictures tomorrow to show. You maybe right because the saw seems fine otherwise.

Thanks Ted. It maybe oil not gas as you described. The muffler was hot so did not touch it. I can take some pictures tomorrow to show. You maybe right because the saw seems fine otherwise.

To add to this, maybe it has happened before and i never noticed. Normally i start it, cut wood for a while, stop it and then clean the saw. Today i had done maintenance, new plug, air filter, gas filter, etc. Like i said it runs and sounds great.

To add to this, maybe it has happened before and i never noticed. Normally i start it, cut wood for a while, stop it and then clean the saw. Today i had done maintenance, new plug, air filter, gas filter, etc. Like i said it runs and sounds great.

Will run then look at the plug as well.

Latest posts

Back