Gas Mix In My New Jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks largely to you guys on this site I am collecting my new Jonsered CS2165 on Saturday.
My next question concerns gas for this saw. I haven't read the owners manual yet and no doubt it will guide me but what grade of gas is best used in this saw? I refuse to use premium gas in my truck because I imagine in a few years I will buy another but this saw will be with me a long time after then. Is there any advantage to using premium gas with a quality two stroke air cooled oil?
As ever many thanks for your views
Tack

Hi,
Thanks largely to you guys on this site I am collecting my new Jonsered CS2165 on Saturday.
My next question concerns gas for this saw. I haven't read the owners manual yet and no doubt it will guide me but what grade of gas is best used in this saw? I refuse to use premium gas in my truck because I imagine in a few years I will buy another but this saw will be with me a long time after then. Is there any advantage to using premium gas with a quality two stroke air cooled oil?
As ever many thanks for your views
Tack

i use husky xp or hp oil 50:1 , 98 octane. avoid ethanol blended fuels like the plague, they go stale at the drop of a hat and IMO lean the saw out compared to regular gas.

Premium Fuel. 91-93 Octane, whatever is available. If it has ethanol in it, be more mindful of its expiration.

If you want to go crazy, you can find a small local airport that sells avgas direct to customers.

Otherwise, use a good quality 2 cycle engine oil. Jaso FD certification is the latest standard, but FC seems fine. I like Echo Powerblend X, but a lot of people run STIHL HP ULTRA (fully synthetic).

It seems undecided as to whether or not it's worth richening up the mix closer to 40:1 or 45:1, particularly for the break-in periods. Most manufacturers make a point of saying that the same fuel should be used during break-in. I am generally untrusting of the fact that oil is rather viscous and a fair amount stays within the little oil container. I once took a 10ml graduated cylinder, filled it with 2 cycle oil, and dumped it out. Over the next day or so, the oil that was on the sides of the cylinder poured down, and I realized that only 9 ml were able to be poured out--1 ml remained in the cylinder.

I like to add a few extra drops to be on the safe side.

I'm a believer in the custom tailored responses that are produced when people ask the same question with slightly different minor details, but you definitely should try the search function for this.

MGF

Last edited:
Guess I'll be the smartazz tonight. Read your manual, it would have answered your question faster than logging on here and starting another useless oil/gas thread. Stick around, you will start to get annoyed by them soon enough. Is the 2165 your first saw? Next you will want to "muffler mod" and ask about that (the second most irritating type of thread). Welcome to the site, stick around and read a lot. Use the search function, the best tool on here.

i use husky xp or hp oil 50:1 , 98 octane. avoid ethanol blended fuels like the plague, they go stale at the drop of a hat and IMO lean the saw out compared to regular gas.

Our 98 RON fuel is roughly equal to NA 93 AKI, which is an average of RON and MON numbers.

Steve, what do you use, BP Ultimate, Shell V Power, Caltex Vortex or Mobil or whatever you can get ?
Currently using Ultimate, but it's bloody hard to get (100km away) and the V-Power is in the nearest largish town, 30km away.

The old Shell Optimax had a horrible reputation here in two strokes, and they are phasing out the V-Power Racing 100 (5% ethanol) so we'll only have the straight petrol 98 stuff.

Wow I just bought the same saw. After reading the owners manual
I decided to run diesel at the suggested 43:1 oil mix. The extra 20% torque
that diesel will give will be very welcome.

Our 98 RON fuel is roughly equal to NA 93 AKI, which is an average of RON and MON numbers.

Steve, what do you use, BP Ultimate, Shell V Power, Caltex Vortex or Mobil or whatever you can get ?
Currently using Ultimate, but it's bloody hard to get (100km away) and the V-Power is in the nearest largish town, 30km away.

The old Shell Optimax had a horrible reputation here in two strokes, and they are phasing out the V-Power Racing 100 (5% ethanol) so we'll only have the straight petrol 98 stuff.

lol... whatever gas station is closest, I go for that. at the moment, gull is the only ethenol brand so i dont go there :D

I just saw that BP Ultimate has INVIGORATE
What is Invigorate and is good or bad for 2 cycle engines ?

Last edited:
Guess I'll be the smartazz tonight. Read your manual, it would have answered your question faster than logging on here and starting another useless oil/gas thread. Stick around, you will start to get annoyed by them soon enough. Is the 2165 your first saw? Next you will want to "muffler mod" and ask about that (the second most irritating type of thread). Welcome to the site, stick around and read a lot. Use the search function, the best tool on here.

Wow I just bought the same saw. After reading the owners manual
I decided to run diesel at the suggested 43:1 oil mix. The extra 20% torque
that diesel will give will be very welcome.

Okay, then i will be the one with some common sense. If he hasn't picked up his saw yet how will he be able to read the manual that comes with it?

BP's Invigorate is their gasoline + a very high quality detergent. Most gasoline has detergents to prevent deposits--better gasoline generally has better quality and or more detergents. Shell is a company which has heavily advertised having good quality and effective detergents in their gas.

I really cannot imagine that it is in any way bad for a 2 cycle engine.

Take note, however, that BP invigorate is on a limited trial right now, and that unless the station states that it has invigorate, it most likely does not.

MGF

Hi,

Well, I picked up my new saw today. It is equipped with a Laser Forestry Pro 20 inch bar. The dealer also included free of charge a Jonered box and bar cover, a 6 pack of Echo Powerblend X in 100ml bottles, a 5 litre gas can, 4 litres of Echo bar and chain oil, a file and a spark plug wrench.

I don't suppose that there are many members of this site around Kamloops, BC but I really do have to commend the dealer, B&L Small Motors, for all their help, not to mention the generous discount they gave me on the saw and all the freebies they threw in. They were patient in answering my questions and had the saw run up and ready to go first thing this morning. Excellent service.

I did read the manual and it stated that any gasoline greater than 87 octane is fine.

Finally a big thank you to all who contributed to my two threads so far - even the somewhat sarcastic ones, if nothing else they provided me with a giggle!

Regards
Tack

Latest posts

Back