gas not older than 3 weeks for my husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swede11

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a husky 445. The dealer told me to use only premium gas, and not to use it after 3 weeks time.
For the most part I have stuck by those recomendations. Occasionally I will continue using the gas even if it's a little older than 3 weeks, and I haven't had any real problems with the saw running, or starting or anything.
Have any of you recieved similiar instructions? Do you stick by the 3 week rule???

I think using a stabilizer, especially one such as Marine Sta-Bil, will both help with the ethanol concerns and also give some extended life....

For longer-term straight gas storage, check out a product called
'Pri-G' (diesel version is 'Pri-D' ). Better properties than Sta-Bil, and also advertises that it will rejuvenate stale gas.....

As with the overwhelming majority of things that expire, there is a spectrum of conditions from when it is new and when it is totally expired. 1 week old gas is "better" than three week old gas, and 2 month old gas is clearly worse than 3 week old gas.

It used to be 90 days, now most people (and instruction manuals) are saying use it within a month.

If you have a truck or lawnmower, you can just throw the mix in there without any consequence.

With a good stabilizer the gas should still be good for 2-3 months, but a lot of that depends on the quality of the gas you buy. I would steer clear of the little backwoods gas stations where the gas may be more likely to sit in the tanks for awhile. I have recently starting using the WeedEater brand full synthetic 2 stroke oil, I get it from Wal-Mart in a 19oz bottle for $5.50, and it has a fuel stabilizer already in it.

Yeah...what Mike said....the major problem is with gas at $4
a gallon...not a lot of folks are buying premium gas.
The stations only fill tanks that are depleted down...
and only up to a certain level of what they think they can sell.

not a lot of folks are buying much premium gas
Sooo there's no telling how long that gas has been in the tank??

I store my gas in glass containers...no "breathing moisture"...
likely illegal...except on private property...where I cut mostly.

If stored in plastic...definitely use it as soon as possible!!!!
Even with my "glass precaution"...after a month...into truck tank.

I have one station that every Friday..they sell premium at 10¢ off.
All the big motor jockeys--and H-D riders go there every week...
sooo that's where I go to hopefully get "the fresh' premium gas.

I have read good and bad things about gas stabilizer...I want FRESH !!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
.........and your saw does not benefit from premium fuel...

Yeah... but my truck sure likes it better than regular...for sure!!
Poor old dawg don't knock/ping on premium as it does on regular...
I'm talking uphill...which is 90% of the time here in the hollar :msp_wink:
J2F

Last edited:
I use the 'sniff' test. If it still smells like gasoline, then I use it. If it smells a bit off (especially if it has a smell like varnish!), then it goes into the wife's car.

I have a modded 450 Husky, which is a big bore 445. I'm presently using up some 6 month old fuel in it.

3 weeks is a sound rule of thumb when ya think about it.

Ya got the issue of ethanol sucking water out of the air constantly and less than accurate ethanol content at play here.

The tanks at the Gas station are an unknown, as is how much water is in 'em.

Then there's the fuel can. If it isn't sealed up like a frogs butt, it's gonna gain water content over time, and on top of whatever came out of the pump in the first place.

Screw it, 3 week old gas burns in the 4 cycle OPE.
No point is risking things in the saws and 2 cycle OPE.

Premium Gas?
Check the owners manual. Just run what it calls for to comply with the warranty terms.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have a husky 445. The dealer told me to use only premium gas, and not to use it after 3 weeks time.
For the most part I have stuck by those recomendations. Occasionally I will continue using the gas even if it's a little older than 3 weeks, and I haven't had any real problems with the saw running, or starting or anything.
Have any of you recieved similiar instructions? Do you stick by the 3 week rule???

NO.

Do yourself a favor and the next time you purchase fuel put some of it from your fuel can into a tightly sealed glass container.

Put some with your mix into a saw. Wait 3 weeks and one day and pour the fuel from your saw into a different glass container.

Compare the two containers contents.

If you see a big difference purchase your fuel from a different gas station. It is not the E it is where the E lives while waiting for you to buy it and then use it.

3 weeks is utter nonsense. Most saws that suffer damage that has been blamed on the big evil E is actually caused by incompotent dealers and saw operators.

Oferchrissakes, y'all are far too freakin paranoid. My 1940's Farmall fuel cap says all ya need to know - "buy clean fuel, keep it clean."

Get your gas from a reputable source, store it as best you can - out of the sun preferably, and use it when ya need it.

My ice auger sat all last summer on 1/2 a tank of fuel, fired on two pulls, ran fine on "obsolete" gas, and GASP - suffered no ill effects and ran the rest of the winter without trouble. I have NO idea when the gas in my M Farmall was put in it, but I know for sure it was written off on last years' taxes, and it still smells fresh and burns just fine.

I agree with Steve. Unless it smells bad, use it.

I like ethanol, it gives us something to discuss besides oil mix ratios and octane ratings.:)

Yeah...what Mike said....the major problem is with gas at $4
a gallon...not a lot of folks are buying premium gas.
The stations only fill tanks that are depleted down...
and only up to a certain level of what they think they can sell.

not a lot of folks are buying much premium gas
Sooo there's no telling how long that gas has been in the tank??

I store my gas in glass containers...no "breathing moisture"...
likely illegal...except on private property...where I cut mostly.

If stored in plastic...definitely use it as soon as possible!!!!
Even with my "glass precaution"...after a month...into truck tank.

I have one station that every Friday..they sell premium at 10¢ off.
All the big motor jockeys--and H-D riders go there every week...
sooo that's where I go to hopefully get "the fresh' premium gas.

I have read good and bad things about gas stabilizer...I want FRESH !!!
J2F

One thing you have no control over here is how much water is sitting at the bottom of the gas-station's tanks, and how long the gas is in there, getting water dissolved in ethanol.
Dealer is supposed to "stick" the tanks to see how much water is in there, and do something about it. Who knows.
Were I concerned, I'd toss in a wee bit of acetone.

If stored in a sealed metal container, Texaco says it's good for a year. I'm sure if you store it in a cheapo can in a Florida swamp, it can absorb water quickly.
Buy from a high-volume station, store in a cool place in a sealed can, and it won't deteriorate in a year. Break those rules and it depends on the weather.

Gasoline and how well it keeps varies in different parts of the USA and other parts of the world.

In my area, I don't consider a gas/oil mix to be old unless it is more than a couple years old.

I have used mix that was five yrs old and it seemed to run fine but it has turned a darker color by then.

In some parts of the USA, gasoline does not keep well at all and varies considerably depending on what season it was purchased etc.

I've never seen any mud, gum, or scale in the fuel around here in the last 40 yrs. But I used to live in another area far away and I remember junk being in carb float bowls besides saw dust or lint.

If you have an airport close to you you can also give AV Gas (100 LL) a try. I'm finding it has a much better shelf life than regular pump gas and best of all no ethanol.

I store a lot of fuel at our place since we are so far out in the woods. My rule is - use it as quickly as possible by paying attention to rotation. I don't have a time limit on gas - have used it when it was more than 6 months old without any problems.

- keep it in metal containers
- seal the containers
- gas cans are in a fuel dump more than 50' from the house and covered to protect from direct sun and rain
- rotate cans to avoid any one can getting too old
- pour into cars if i can't remember when I bought it
- always add Sta-Bil

Back