Gas prices hit your pocket book?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing this thread is 6 years old and folks were complaining about gas REACHING $2.00 a gallon. Most would probably attempt a cartwheel if gas came DOWN to $ 2.00 a gallon today.

Well you have to increase your prices if you wallet gets empty faster.. I paid $83.00 bucks to fill my powerstroke F250 up today and felt rapped. Diesel went up to $3.09 here, and premium gas is 2.87 tell me what is wrong with this picture? If I know I am going to make multiple trips to the landfill, I will figure that in when I price a job. Most customers would understand if you mentioned fuel prices to them.

Ekka's digging deep!!! I started reading Darrin's posts complaining about $2.00/gal gas and thought wth is he getting gas for $2.00/gal, then noticed the date 2001.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

So what was the point of digging this up, just to say we asked for the mess in Iraq? :notrolls2:

It's his M.O. dude... it's what he does.

Diesel here was $3.45 today

No not at all, it just shows some things dont change regardless of what you blame. I bet I could dig up a newspaper article from 1920 era raving on about economy for your new gas guzzling 20hp crank handled car.

It's also about reflecting on what rationale you had, how the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow belongs in fairy tales. It's about thinking clearly about reality and consequences.

The same arguments and idealogy is being waged right now about global warming, tree clearing, water use and pollution. So it's important as regular people to look back and see what you thought was rational some years ago is actually folly today.

However some kite flyers try to make something out of nothing all the time dont they!

It's also about reflecting on what rationale you had, how the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow belongs in fairy tales. It's about thinking clearly about reality and consequences.

[/I]

So you think one smart @ssed comment off a web forum is indicative of our public sentiment as a whole? While I don't doubt oil played a part in the decision to go to war anyone who thought invading Iraq would lower prices at the pump doesn't have a clue about what is driving prices.

I have mentioned it before but using a motorbike for quoting and errands saves me up to 8 hours a week with its ability to gap in traffic and find parking anywhere, and its fuel usage is minimal. Its also a hoot having enough HP to embarrass any porsche you may find.

I can fit a 066, ms200, harness, rope, fuel, oil, helmet and tools on it as well.

Fuel costs are likely to end up being half of the running cost of our business in the future. Its time to start thinking on what strategies we are going to implement to insure we survive.

You guys crack me up. :) Diesel here is £1 a litre, or $8 a gallon. We survive. Most tree guys drive around in 2.5 litre diesel trucks getting about 30 - 40 mpg.

That said, I would also like to see photos of an 066 on a motorbike. Bet that gets funny looks!

You guys crack me up. :) Diesel here is £1 a litre, or $8 a gallon. We survive. Most tree guys drive around in 2.5 litre diesel trucks getting about 30 - 40 mpg.

I don't think our concern is as much about fuel costing over $3.00 a gal but how fast its gotten there. The thought behind this thread is how to cover such a fast growing expense and still quote fair prices.

I can see that the rate of change has probably hit you guys very hard. About the only good thing you can say about the high fuel taxes we pay is that the change has not been too bad for us. Diesel has gone from 85p a litre to £1.00, which isn't that big a deal. It was always expensive, so priced in accordingly. It's now just very expensive....

But yes, you have to price it in. A "fair" price has to be one that allows you to make enough money.

066,660,346xp

They are not tied on, and I wouldnt normally carry this many or have the saddle bags as well but with a few bungees this would be secure enough for me. An ms200 with the bar off will easily fit in the rear gearbag along with a rope and harness.

The fireblade is not really made for cruising. Does over 170mph (although with saddlebags I dont push it over 130mph as I burned a hole in them when the windforce pushed them against the muffler!) I also have a tankbag which can hold a heap but really dont need that much space unless I am going away for a few days. I dont ride as fast as I used to but probably faster than I should.

When I was contract climbing around the city I used to carry the 044 strapped across my back and everything else in a bag tied down to the tail section, cars didnt mess with me. Then discovered pack racks and saddle bags and found by taking the bar off you could easliy secure saws without them overhanging like the load you see in the pic.

If I have a small job or two without clear up to do on the weekend, it doesnt feel like work if you go out to do it on the bike. Most of them dont require anything bigger than an ms200 so you can travel light and really find gaps in traffic.

Last edited:
I guess I should object to $90 a barrel oil but that seems to be exactly why I have a great job. $100 is around the corner I guess.

The Dodge 2500 5.7 litre Hemi I have at work gets about 7 miles to the gallon on short trips, yet you see people driving them around everywhere here, not just to work.

Last edited:
Gas is going to get REALLY expensive. As most fuel will. The only positive is that alternative sources of fuel (such as wood and possibly even mulch) might be worth something.

If your looking at being in this business in the long term, you should be thinking about strategies that will allow you to survive when it costs more to gas up your truck than it does to pay for your guys for a week.

Anyone have gas prices hit the pocket book? Are you going to charge more this year because of it? $2.00 a gallon is a little much----For cheap gas. Inflation is rising way too fast. Thats what happens when we rely on other countries resources and dont utilize our own. It makes me sick.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Double that now!

Latest posts

Back