Gasket Sealant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eiler2641

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am rebuiling a Stihl 029 into a 039 and my question is this, There is no actual cylinder gasket. There is only a spot to fill it with a gasket sealant, So what would be the best stuff to use on it. Should I just use the stuff from Stihl or is there a better gasket sealant out there. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks

But a tube of red Dirko and throw all the other sealants away. The only other thing that's remotely close is 3 Bond. RTV should not be used on a 2 cycle crankcase.

not to hijack this thread but does anyone use the Permatex Indian Head gasket shellac compound on the cylinder base as a gasket? or should go out and buy some of the hi dollar stuff from the stihl dealer? oh and i'm putting a MS250 stihl back together afther replaceing the seals in it. sorry i was't trying to hijack this thread

I researched the Dirko sealer and found that Permatex Ultra Grey is the same thing. Indian head gasket shellac won't seal properly. It is meant to be used as a gasket sealer not as a gasket less sealer.

I researched the Dirko sealer and found that Permatex Ultra Grey is the same thing. Indian head gasket shellac won't seal properly. It is meant to be used as a gasket sealer not as a gasket less sealer.

is that the same as mega grey gasket maker? if so i got a lot of that in the shop for valve covers and stuff for my trucks and cars.so if it the same as the ultra grey i got it cover then.

is that the same as mega grey gasket maker? if so i got a lot of that in the shop for valve covers and stuff for my trucks and cars.so if it the same as the ultra grey i got it cover then.

I'm not sure about that. The Ultra grey is the same as Dirko, ThreeBond 1211, YamaBond 4 and HondaBond. I'll do a google search and see what I can find out.

I'm not sure about that. The Ultra grey is the same as Dirko, ThreeBond 1211, YamaBond 4 and HondaBond. I'll do a google search and see what I can find out.

ok thanks i know i got a case of it in the shop for my cars and trucks and it is the best for valve cover gaskets.

ok thanks i know i got a case of it in the shop for my cars and trucks and it is the best for valve cover gaskets.

I didn't find it to be a direct replacement but it does seem to have the same specs. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you. If you try it and it fails your saw will race or not return to idle because of a vacuum leak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back