GB Bars - again...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red China/Alibaba again, but probably legit this time.:bang::bang::bang:

I guess the minimum order of 100 is a slight issue for most user level costumers.......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Red China/Alibaba again, but probably legit this time.:bang::bang::bang:

I guess the minimum order of 100 is a slight issue for most user level costumers.......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I'm pretty sure this exact same company was the one that announced a legitimate association with GB a while back...

If ya blow up the pic of the bar it has Australia on it.
But theres no Ti bars but.

Yeah the Ti bars are still the ones up in the air about whether they are made in Australia or not. I'm up in the air too as have heard conflicting reports from pretty reliable people...

Make of it what you will guys...

GB pro bar direct from

Might be able to buy direct from the manufacturer soon :D

so you should be able to , they are made in a Melbourne suburb called Sunshine and the last one i got was cheaper from england. who would have figured it would be cheaper to buy a bar that had been shipped to england and air freighted back cheaper than i could get on in sunshine?

GB Direct Pty Ltd - Lawn Mowers--W'salers & Mfrs - Sunshine, VIC - Yellow Pages®

Last edited:
so you should be able to , they are made in a Melbourne suburb called Sunshine and the last one i got was cheaper from england. who would have figured it would be cheaper to buy a bar that had been shipped to england and air freighted back cheaper than i could get on in sunshine?

Yup. I could buy bars cheaper from the US than GB themselves...

GB really needs to start pumping out some hard core proof of where there bars are made. Last time I went past their factory it looked deserted. Also rumoured to only be manufacturing harvester and Ti bars out of there now but even that's skinny on proof. When you ask GB themselves where there bars are made and get a lengthy pause before receiving a reply I get a bit cautious. GB rumours have been rife for a few years now and not once have they come out and stood up for themselves. They read these forums too...

By the way, I really hope they are still made in Australia. Not having a US distributor must really be hurting though and being dumped by Stens says something all by itself.

GB Direct Pty Ltd - Lawn Mowers--W'salers & Mfrs - Sunshine, VIC - Yellow Pages®

I know where GB are. Jakmax wasn't far away from them until they moved to their new premises. Jakmax have a warehouse full of goodies too - their bars are Canadian, Taiwanese, and Canadian. The only bars GB told me they had that were made overseas were their cheaper laminated bars - after a lengthy pause. Not sure what to think but need more proof.

Maybe one of you guys in and around Melbourne should talk to GB and go get some piccys of the manufacturing? Seriously. I'm sure GB would let you if they are still manufacturing bars there. They have nothing to lose.

Last time I went past their factory it looked deserted.

i recently went past the deserted Yakka workware factory in broadmeadows , nothing but tumbleweed inside the cyclone fence. the GB factory couldn't have been that desolate could it?

Last edited:
i drove past gb's premises in sunshine a couple of months back mid week, and the place sure looked like there was nothing going on there, no cars in the car park and no lights on in the front office, when i get some time in a couple of weeks ill swing past again and have another look

i suppose not much surprises me these days with regard to foreign ownership.

we dont have a major brewery anymore ( not that i drink much of any of their labels these days), hell even melbournes eastern ring road has just been bough by a foreign company.

i recently went past the deserted Yakka workware factory in broadmeadows , nothing but tumbleweed inside the cyclone fence. the GB factory couldn't have been that desolate could it?

Nope, I don't recall tumbleweeds :D
If I didn't know who GB was though I'd have thought it was just another factory that's gone broke.

From memory, the last few GB bars I got had made in Australia on the packing... old stock or clever packaging ? Not sure.

BTW, interesting article re China snapping up our assets in today's SMH.

Bear in mind that a lot of (most ?) Chinese acquisitions fall outside of the Foreign Investment Review Board's scrutiny as they are under a certain $ value (IIRC it's several hundred million $'s )

China's 'resource imperialism' a risk for Australia: US analyst
September 29, 2011 - 3:01PM

Leading American investment analyst James Dines has criticised Australia for allowing China to buy large swathes of its natural resources in what he calls "resource imperialism".

Australia was in danger of squandering it's "irreplaceable inheritance ... traded for easily printed paper", Mr Dines said.

Mr Dines, the keynote speaker this week at the RIU Victorian Resources Roundup conference, told an audience of mining executives, brokers and investors that the end of capitalism as we knew it had arrived and that we were in the second great economic depression.
Advertisement: Story continues below

His entertaining, if alarming, speech would have prompted mixed feelings among a crowd that included executives with a strong Chinese presence on their share registries.

State-owned Chinese companies are also becoming a major foreign investor in Australia.

Mr Dines, editor of the Dines Letter and author of numerous books, described natural resources, including farmland, as a source of real wealth that should be kept for "your descendants".

By pursuing resource imperialism, China was building stockpiles of commodities well above its immediate needs, such as rare earths - it already produces 97 per cent of the world total - and copper.

The Australian Foreign Investment Review Board blocked a $252 million bid by state-owned China Nonferrous Metal Mining to acquire Australian rare earth miner Lynas in 2009.

China's motivation

The world's most populous country wants to secure its resource needs for centuries to come.

Instead of seizing the means of production, as Karl Marx advocated, the Chinese Communist Party was legally buying it in what Mr Dines believes is the end of capitalism as we know it.

"They are not buying a copper mine to re-sell at a higher price. They are buying it to use all that copper for China," he said.

"China are storing (commodities) as a form of hard money for next century and beyond."

Mr Dines said he was not being anti-China.

"What they're doing is legal and far-sighted thinking."

He contrasted that with the US, where investors were fixated on quarter to quarter earnings.

Currency collapse

In contrast, the US and Europe had not learnt from history and had brought about a second economic depression by incurring massive debts and trying to make repayments by printing more money, he said.

He believes it will ultimately lead to the currency system collapsing.

The doubling of the money supply to pay for World War I led to inflation in the 1920s and the Depression of the 1930s, he said.

Mr Dines says what's needed is a currency linked to gold stores to limit printing.

America's government debt will swell to an estimated $US20 trillion in the next nine years was, something it will never repay, he says.

China currently holds $US3 trillion in foreign exchange assets and could "buy the whole world".

So, how should Australia and the world respond to this new world order?

The prevailing view here is that the mining boom is a great thing and will last indefinitely, with a rapidly urbanising China and India buying our resources.

But Mr Dines points out that heavy demand from the developing countries of the world will put a strain on finite resources, with oil certain to run out this century.

He says Australia should ensure that a percentage of all mines and farmland is kept in Australian hands, to protect the country's food and resource security.

High food prices prompted violent social unrest in the Middle East this year.

He also recommends relying less on mining and more on renewable industries such as tourism, crops and seafood.

"Sooner or later, Australia is going to need those rare earths for its own (hi-tech) manufacturing, or else your kids will be buying your own rare earths back from China, with a significant mark-up," Mr Dines said.

If he did have a positive message, it was to invest in gold and silver, which, he says, are the ultimate monetary metals, with gold having risen in value every one of the last 11 years.

AAP

Latest posts

Back