GB titanium bars or other good bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedude055.mm

Reaction score
I had a 24" GB titanium bar a few years ago on an 066 and got rid of both.:bang: Don't ask why. Does anyone know where I can get another 24" GB titanium bar? Used to see them on Ebay but not too many any more. Did they stop making them? I have been using Windsor bars because that is what my local guy carries and they just don't seem to last very long comparably. Anybody use anything else like Total, Woodland Pro, or Cannon? If so thoughts on the best one. I would rather spend the money on a good bar than buy three bad lesser quality ones. I run a stihl ms361 now 3/8 50 gauge.

GB Ti bars are getting harder and harder to get, even in Australia where GB operates from.
They are definitely good bars but in my experience are no better than a cheaper Pro Top.
I think you are far better getting a Jap made Total bar (made by Tsumura) or a Cannon (spendy).
Even dealers in Australia who have GB accounts have started to complain lately about the lack of supply with certain GB lines.
Then we have the issue where GB sent a lot of their manufacturing from Australia to China. Nobody really knows where their pro bars are being made. GB are saying Australia but in the last few years have shown no proof of This and their factory near Melbourne looks deserted.

A bit of proof from GB would be the best and cheapest marketing campaign they could ever come up with but no proof has been shown...

I had a 24" GB titanium bar a few years ago on an 066 and got rid of both.:bang: Don't ask why. Does anyone know where I can get another 24" GB titanium bar? Used to see them on Ebay but not too many any more. Did they stop making them? I have been using Windsor bars because that is what my local guy carries and they just don't seem to last very long comparably. Anybody use anything else like Total, Woodland Pro, or Cannon? If so thoughts on the best one. I would rather spend the money on a good bar than buy three bad lesser quality ones. I run a stihl ms361 now 3/8 50 gauge.

Find a tilton/total dealer and get a total super bar. Same money most of the time and a better bar IMO. I would rank TSB's 2nd only to Sugi bars. TSB's are made of japanese steel and they still look good when the paint is gone!
Tilton Equipment :: Total Super Bars

cannon and techlites for me :rock: for me I have never seen any bar last as long as a cannon. I have one of the original cannons I got NOS from my grandfather. he had it from his logging days. I have had it on many different saws being run hard but maintained properly and dressed often. the thing still looks damn near new other then the writing worn off. I did have to replace the tip last year but damn that bar is tough. it's gotta be 7 years in service with me now. the newer cannon superbars are not lacking in quality either. I buy them whenever I can. GB's are Australian aren't they? I have never seen them around here although the mention of them has sparked some interest ;)
for now I am very happy with my cannons :cheers:

Cannon is out for most people because of the weight and/or the cost, and GB is out because they likely are made in China (have been for some years now, I believe). My bet would be on the Tsumura/Total bars for the best regular RSN bars, and then there are the Tsumura light - but it is hard to find....

I have read of too many issues with both SugiHara light combination bar mounts (AT and SV mount) to really want any of them.

Cannon is out for most people because of the weight and/or the cost, and GB is out because they likely are made in China (have been for some years now, I believe). My bet would be on the Tsumura/Total bars for the best regular RSN bars, and then there are the Tsumura light - but it is hard to find....

I have read of too many issues with both SugiHara light combination bar mounts (AT and SV mount) to really want any of them.

just curious, do you own or use any cannons sawtroll? to me my cannons don't weigh anymore then the equivalent Oregon. they just last way longer.

Cannons are nice but the cost is almost double for a lot of sizes to a total or other bar.

Cannons are nice but the cost is almost double for a lot of sizes to a total or other bar.

sometimes Cannons are the only option for certain mount and length bars... IE: 088/076/084 mount, for bars longer than 42inch

GB used to be distributed by Stens who dropped them as far as I know.
A lot of the GB gear I have here came from Stens as I was privvy via a US dealer to one of their big sales a while ago. I landed a 44" HV mount Ti "Extra Long" here for $180 including freight (freight was over half that price!).
Some of the pricing they had was crazy. From memory I got in about USD$8000 worth of gear and still have some of it.

If anybody can find NOS GB gear in the US then you can nearly guarantee it will be the Australian made stuff so grab it :)
In Australia GB used to rename their Pro Top bars for Stihl/Husqvarna and I have seen some of these Stihl bars where farmers have used them for digging ditches. The nose sprocket teeth are near worn back to the bearing yet the thing is still fine after a new nose.
The older Pro Tops and Ti bars are without a doubt some of the best bars I've ever seen or used. Not sure on their newer gear as have seen some very unusual wear on some of their newer bars that is very reminiscent of Chinese bars I've used.

I'd like to be able to say that I've tried out my woodland pro 20" 3/8 050 (Bailey branded Cannon super) bar on my husky 181

998775_10201712877644923_1838762082_n.jpg

but I've been having an issue with the oil pump so haven't had a chance to cut a load of wood with it. I will say the bar is very well made and I predict I'll get a long life out of it. The previous bar was an oregon bar that honestly wore out fairly quickly. I'll take the blame partly on that for early years when I didn't keep the chain properly sharpened. I've tried to use a rail closer to tighten up the Oregon bar to keep it as a spare and for stumps but haven't been having much luck tightening it up.

The funny thing with the cannon bars is they probably shine the most in the longer lengths where you don't want a whippy bar, but few would want the added weight nor would be willing to buy a bar that cost as much as a power head.

Back