gear reduction engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydevil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anything be done within reason to drive a splitter with one? I have access to an 11 hp honda gear reduction engine and I need an engine for my spliter. so, is it reasonably possible, or should I keep looking?

Im going to go with Dan on this. Unless you have a hyd. pump that needs to turn at the final RPM the engine is going produce, it wont work.

Wrong. You can check it yourself just by idling down the engine you have. All that happens is a slow down on stroke. Most hydro pumps are gear types and thus positive displacement. I am drivinga a pump with a 5hp 6x1 gear reduction and it works just fine (slow of course). Don't know the pump gallonage as the nameplate is illegible, I think it is either a 13 or 15.

Harry K

I know that the reduction gear engine will work, but it will increase cycle time. So in the interest of saving time, can I easily remove the reduction gear? I have been reading up on this, and from what I have read, the engines shaft is splined, requireing a splined pump coupler. I have no proff that this is true, so I am hoping somebody here is savy. I hope I am being clear.

You can remove the 6-1 gear box and the main shaft will turn 3600 then but instead of the shaft being 1" keyed it will be splined. You can find a buddy to make a adaptor at a machine shop.

Scott

I know that the reduction gear engine will work, but it will increase cycle time. So in the interest of saving time, can I easily remove the reduction gear? I have been reading up on this, and from what I have read, the engines shaft is splined, requireing a splined pump coupler. I have no proff that this is true, so I am hoping somebody here is savy. I hope I am being clear.

Can't speak to any other engine but the one on mine does have a splined shaft. I don't know if that shaft is sealed to keep oil from leaking if the gear reduction was removed.

You could also drive with belts or gears to build the speed back up. If your pump gallonage is high enough, the speed reduction may not have that big of an effect. The reduced cycle time on mine was no where near what I was expecting. It is just enough to grab the next chunk while the ram returns.

Harry K

thanks guys. I am starting to ubderstand what I must do. I think I will try the engine, and if not completely happy, I will keep looking for an ideal replacement.
JD

Latest posts

Back