GEEZ! found the circlip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan in AR

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I put a new jug on my power mac 380. I was able to find a NOS one. When assembling, I lost a circlip. I looked for it for a while before I decided to use one of the old ones. I guess the lost one was hiding in the crank case, because after a few seconds running, it stoped with a ping. Pulled the muff and saw the circlip pieces everywhere in there. I thought the cylinder didnt look too bad, but then I saw the piston. Do you all think that the cylinder might be salvageable if used with the old piston? thanks-MorganView attachment 232283View attachment 232284View attachment 232285

sorry for the crummy pics

looks like I'm about as good of a photographer as I am a saw mechanic.

Big fat nasty huge drag :msp_sad: Thanks for sharing tho, maybe it will help someone later. Yes, kind of hard to tell on the pics, but I think if it where me I'd go with minimum a new piston. More clear pics might change my mind.

what do you clean the cylinder up with? there's no saving the piston. the gash is really deep and stretches across both rings.

We all make mistakes sometimes, the important thing is that we learn from them! I lucked out one time and picked up a minty 046 that was seized. It had an extra circlip in the crankcase preventing the crank from turning. Both the cylinder and piston were fine, I believe the previous owner made the same mistake as you. Of course I have made similar mistakes like you, that cost me too, I suppose you gain some from one place and lose it in another...

just payin for my education! whats another $45 dollars on a $25 dollar saw anyway.

Well, this may not make the situation better but when considering the cost of higher education, you learned a lot for not too much $. I was talking to my sister today regarding college options for my nephew and one college is $44,000 per year. So the cost of some metal parts pales in comparison. (oh, he won't be attending that college by the way)

Everyone makes mistakes, sometimes I forget lessons past and re-learn them! redo your redo and giver hell that will make it a distant memory quicker.

Sorry about your saw. Sometimes a rag wrapped around the rod under the piston can be your best friend.

+1

I always plug all openings that I'd rather not get anything into.

If it makes you feel any better, I was just testing spark on a saw I'm tearing down (it's totaled, parts are more $$$ than it's worth running, and I don't need it), and I wasn't getting anything.

I then noticed that I had already removed the flywheel.

At least this ordeal lasted all of 5 seconds, but it definitely was an oversight. And an indicator that it's time for bed.

Well, this may not make the situation better but when considering the cost of higher education, you learned a lot for not too much $. I was talking to my sister today regarding college options for my nephew and one college is $44,000 per year. So the cost of some metal parts pales in comparison. (oh, he won't be attending that college by the way)

My nephew is in law school at Georgetown. Tuition and fees are about $25k per semester x's 3 semesters per year x's 3 years! can you say $200K+

Like you said, it's a cheap chain saw and one that you got to learn a lesson on, it's really no big deal and minus any extra money spent I am sure you won't do that again. **** happens, like the time I forgot to tighten the lug nuts on my truck and went for a test drive on the repair I had just performed... Yeah that was a real close call after an enlightening death wobble...LOL....:blob2:

Back