generating business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I can do it

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently started my own business. We went and got a nice chip truck, chipper and stocked it with all the goodies. We registered as a LLC, got 2 million in insurance, workers comp.

I went in for some yellow page adds, one book comes out in July, and two other books in January. I signed up with a premium package with the online yellow pages including the search engine advertising. I had some door hangers printed up for obvious work that we see in neighborhood. I hired on a salesman to go out and find work. We just ordered yard signs but you need to work to put out a sign.

I just made a deal to adopt a large tree in Valley Forge park, where we will provide free prunning, health care, and cables for the life of the tree. I am hoping to get the papers out when we go to prune the tree and maybe even a news crew. My dad cabled this tree 30 yrs ago and I thought it would be neat if took it over. I thought we could raise the awareness of the need for volunteer tree work in the park and introduce ourselves to community as responsible caring tree service.

What am I missing? Anyone have any ideas to generate new customers?

It's hard playing the waiting the game when you know your going to have bills coming in soon.

Last edited:
Do you Attend any Social clubs? How about some shirts with your company name/logo on it?

I do have knitted golf shirts witht the company name and logo on them for sales and I have my t shirts on order. I was thinking of putting something up on craigslist, wasn't sure how many people look there for tree work.

I do have knitted golf shirts witht the company name and logo on them for sales and I have my t shirts on order. I was thinking of putting something up on craigslist, wasn't sure how many people look there for tree work.

I have gotten a job here and then from it.

Like ASD said a lot of shoppers, hard to land something on it on the flip side its free to post.

I know there are plenty of guys who have done great with it.

I think it also depends how many other _____ and _____ with a pickup truck advertis. on it too...

I just made a deal to adopt a large tree in Valley Forge park, where we will provide free prunning, health care, and cables for the life of the tree.

not to be snide..... but if you really wanted to make a difference you could take care of as many trees as you could instead of just one. i have about 30 trees that i care for in the parks here. and the only person who knows about it is me and the park superintendant

Craig's list but you will get alot of shoppers

To reduce the people wanting the cheapest price only, be sure to market yourself as a professional. Take time to write and rewrite your ads. Get others to proof read and make suggestions. The ad space if free, so offer some education to potential CLers to further instill in them that you are a professional.

Great advice.

I started doing that about 6 weeks ago get less calls from it now but when i get a call the customer is looking for someone not just a pickup and a homelite.

Great Tip.

Door to Door Marketting

Try walking door to door, this method of generating business is "Primo", you cannot go wrong, because if you dont want to knock then just continue to walk. We have had great results, you wouldn't believe the results, so I will spare you the details. Try it, and remember your a salesperson while you do this so look like one and try to be the most pleasant person who ever knocked at that door. Big smile can go a mile! Its awesome exercise, you will be pleased with the results my friend. Good luck! Pay it forward

I went in for some yellow page adds, one book comes out in July, and two other books in January. I signed up with a premium package with the online yellow pages including the search engine advertising.
QUOTE]

Print YP advert is a dinosaur.....at least in those areas where the potential customer is internet savvy......

I knew that, but neglected to downsize my two 1/6th page ads with color (photos also) to a tiny 1 inch size last spring.....Spending $1300 a month...some months, zero or nearly zero calls are generated...and never more than a handful....Huge waste, and I'm stuck for another 4-6 months on one ad and 8-9 on the other.

Online YP, and a website finally, plus paying them for SOE...also getting weak results....online paid lead generating services are working, though.

Best is canvassing--i just knock on the odd door now and then, but with great results...or targeted direct mail..which I don't do.

anyone use newspaper or online newspaper ads?

I don't, but think that ads in the little local neighborhood papers would be effective.

Lately, I've been hearing a radio ad from an eastside company.....don't know if they work, but do know they have to run for some time, and often....

Has anybody ever tried tv? I know its exspensive but a lot of small businesses in my area are tyring it.

Really expensive.

Bartlett has been advertising here in the Bay Area, they have a really professional commerical and I am sure it is driving them business....but they have the cash flow to make things like that happen.

I am not so sure about it...

I think door to door is my next opition

I'm mixed on the door knocking thing. We had a lot of that from the out of town guys after the storm here. Most of the customers that I dealt with here turned the door knockers away.

However, I lost some work to some door knockers that could get on it immediately instead of waiting, so I guess it can be effective.

In the year & a half that I've been in business, I've only gotten 2 jobs as a result of knocking or leaving a card on a door. But I don't do it that much either.

Once you get some work, ask the customer if he would hang a flier at his workplace. Most places have a bulletin board, & it's free. I've picked up a little work that way.

One guy I know just parked in a large parking lot with his signs on his truck & read a book. (it was really slow last winter) Said he picked up some "survival" jobs that way.

Really expensive.

Bartlett has been advertising here in the Bay Area, they have a really professional commerical and I am sure it is driving them business....but they have the cash flow to make things like that happen.

I am not so sure about it...

I think door to door is my next option

My father and I have tried just about everything including news paper, yellow pages, road side signs, and door hangers. I think tv will be the next step, I'm in the process of getting some prices now.

My father and I have tried just about everything including news paper, yellow pages, road side signs, and door hangers. I think tv will be the next step, I'm in the process of getting some prices now.

Understandable.

All I can say is do your homework.

If you don't mind sharing how much it will be after you figure it all out I am sure a bunch of us would like to know.

I know Radio is much cheaper but not sure how well that work either.

Mike

Latest posts

Back