Generator size to run 1hp Supersplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with that 100%. I use one of those "hook-up to your battery" inverters in my work van to power my laptop and some diagnostic equipment, also charge two-way handheld batteries and cordless tool batteries, occasionally power-up a two-way mobile or data radio. They definitely are full of "magic smoke" which appears a few months after purchase, just when you need it most. The loads I place on it are small, really small with very little surge (if any)... Started with a 200/400w, magic smoke in 3 weeks... Went to a 400/800w, magic smoke in 3 months... Now I'm on my third 750/1500w in two years... I've learned to just carry a new spare back-up.

If you want a *real* inverter, go with these guys, not the walmart or truck stop versions.

Xantrex | Power Inverter, Inverter Charger, Battery Charger Manufacturer

I run off the grid, and have several generators around here. I am also about half of a sparky as well, so I fiddle with things a bit. My experience thus far:

Don't try a inverter unless you get a really really big one. They are full of magic smoke. When the smoke comes out.. :bang:
A 1hp motor would be a terrible load for any inverter to start up, even without a load!

Generators are the same as electric motors. They both have a significant overload capability if the wiring is up to the task. The smaller Chinese generators have the wimpiest engines and the generator is capable of more than the engine can do. There is a valid point of trying to get a higher quality set.

I have a antique 1500W army generator. I have a 3/4 HP drill press. It will NOT start the motor. A 3K will do it nicely. I would imagine that your 1hp would be the same. No reason for a 5K genset, overkill.

Once the motor is off the starting surge, it is correct that the watts drops considerably. As long as the SS doesn't load the motor down to strting speed then it really isn't gonna take a lot of power to keep things going.

View attachment 227904
the little 1.5 K military generators...

View attachment 227905
Big John. 3K rated, and will do 3 phase at a variety of voltages. In the back ground you notice the 20,000 watt ST unit.

What is your main supply? Are you doing a solar/wind/genny hybrid system?

If you want a *real* inverter, go with these guys, not the walmart or truck stop versions.

My Xantrex XPower 400 made the "magic smoke" three months after purchase and my XPower Micro 800 lasted 9 months... the "truck stop" versions (Cobra) have lasted about the same length of time. Right now I'm running a Vector Dual Outlet and it's lasted the longest so far, getting close to a year.

My Xantrex XPower 400 made the "magic smoke" three months after purchase and my XPower Micro 800 lasted 9 months... the "truck stop" versions (Cobra) have lasted about the same length of time. Right now I'm running a Vector Dual Outlet and it's lasted the longest so far, getting close to a year.

I don't get it then. Did xantrex cover it? Are you just overloading them? Or are all these just cheaply made? Last place we lived as caretakers had a whole house solar rig with xantrex gear, never a problem.

zogger,

They ain't overloaded, but...
The van gets started and shut off at times while the inverter is running and at load.
I have it wired to a toggle switch on the dash that I flip on and off, willy-nilly with no regard to what load my be connected
It sits and/or runs during winter and summer inside a vehicle (read temps from -30 to something way, way over 100, humidity all over the map, and tons of dust during the summer).
It's mounted under the passenger seat with drop cords running to different chargers and power outlets.
My work van bounces over some of the roughest rural roads you can imagine.

So even though it aint overloaded... it is somewhat tested (read abused). They just last only so long.
My usage ain't the same as running one in a controlled environment, such as inside a house, relatively constant load... but it's certainly closer to the conditions one would see using it to power a splitter in woods.

addendum: I have no idea if Xantrex (or anyone else) would cover them... I figure anything priced in that range (less than $100.oo) is a throw-a-way.

Last edited:
an inverter mounted under a seat is not going to last, they want air flow and a constant power source (ie, keep the truck running). The bargain bin inverters aint' going to cut it either. i should see what the HP rating is on my 2" water pump that i power with my 1500/2400w surge inverter. pretty sure its at least 3/4hp if not a 1hp motor. it spikes the inverter hard when its first turned on, but it recovers quickly. you can pick up a 2k/3k surge inverter for about $350 now and it'll do everything you'd need. i use mine all the time to run a angle grinder, circular saw out in the field. its just so much easier to have in the truck than a generator. and i can move it to any of my trucks in 10 seconds. my trucks are all wired with anderson plugs with 2ga wire for our dump inserts and we just disconnect the beds and plug in the inverter when we need it.

What is your main supply? Are you doing a solar/wind/genny hybrid system?

Depends on what is going on. Little house is running on a solar panel and AGM battery with a 350W inverter (It runs the lights nicely, charges phones, computer, etc). When more power is needed I like to run one of the little 1.5K jobs. 4 hours on a little over a gallon. The shop used to have a wind generator but I killed The batteries. Up for repair, at some point :rolleyes2: New addition is a small panel to see if I can keep the internet working.
When BIG power is needed for welding, crank up the 1.8 Isuzu spinning that 20K generator. Arc welder, air compessor, etc.

Eventually, go back with wind charging a 24V system for the shop. It is nice to be able to turn the lights on! For the smaller stuff I am starting to really like the solar panels. Sticking with the mono crystalline at this point... ain't cheap but has a long life and better output.

Now to run a saw on a battery!!! Hmmmm

Why gee....

Depends on what is going on. Little house is running on a solar panel and AGM battery with a 350W inverter (It runs the lights nicely, charges phones, computer, etc). When more power is needed I like to run one of the little 1.5K jobs. 4 hours on a little over a gallon. The shop used to have a wind generator but I killed The batteries. Up for repair, at some point :rolleyes2: New addition is a small panel to see if I can keep the internet working.
When BIG power is needed for welding, crank up the 1.8 Isuzu spinning that 20K generator. Arc welder, air compessor, etc.

Eventually, go back with wind charging a 24V system for the shop. It is nice to be able to turn the lights on! For the smaller stuff I am starting to really like the solar panels. Sticking with the mono crystalline at this point... ain't cheap but has a long life and better output.

Now to run a saw on a battery!!! Hmmmm

...funny you should mention that...

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179262.htm

I have a small array now, plus a windgenny, but that isn't installed, just not enough wind here to bother with it. Mostly grid though. I want to get a larger genny and have it be a propane fired to hook to the unused and slap full big tank here.

I used to maintain on an estate a killer solar system though, jamup nice. 36 panels, stacked charger/inverters, two big battery banks, one had rolls surrettes in it. *Those* are nice batts...

Ran the SS on a 4000 watt generator today, it ran well. I then hooked up a 1000watt flood light to increase the load on the generator. It sure slowed startup and recovery time and I even stalled the generator on a good knot.
Here is a little video

Electric Supersplit running on a 4000watt generator log splitter - YouTube

Pretty cool, master blaster! Doncha like it when a plan comes together?

Hey, who's that big tall guy loading the wood for you? He seems well trained....

;)

I am an electical moron ( 212v vs 213v ...hey whatever it takes..). Lets start with that announcement up front. Having said that there is no financial need to buy one huge generator if the main focus is to run the SS. Buy a 5 horse Honda gas engine and when you want to convert to "winter" indoor operations, by all means do do. Its a belt drive system. Changing the motor is so easy even a "geico" salesman can teach a caveman to do it. Keep the generator around when you need the generator..I'ld suggest one of those Honda whisper quiet ones that will not defeat the purpose of having bought the electic SS in the first place.....peace and quiet INDOORS and emergency use on the farm...running a generator all day long is like running an electric car that takes massive amounts of coal fired .....oh you get my point.

Electric SuperSplit arrived today

SuperSplit elected to upgrade the motor to the 1.5hp version, an upgrade that might not have been welcome seeing how I intend to run it off a generator at remote sites. Assembled the splitter and did a test run off of household 115v. No issues as expected... I think I'm really going to like this splitter. Now for the generator test... Ended up with a Champion 3500W/4000W max generator from TSC. Nice little generator for $299. I was kind of expecting the 1.5hp electric motor to stop it dead, but with a few seconds of struggling upon turning the motor on it runs it just fine. As expected once the flywheels are spinning there are no issues at all.
I know, pics or it didn't happen- I'll work on that tomorrow.

I easily run a Ramsplitter electric, 240 volts, 9 amp, per the information, on the motor plate off of a 5500 watt fairly inexpensive Coleman generator. I have no problems even when it is well below freezing. I have no experience when it is below zero.

The rather noisy generator is fifty feet away. The generator also runs lights so that I can work at night, and a cheap miter saw with a carbide framing blade to cut up the smaller limbs. It seems to be a good combination, made possible by the generator.

The generator seems to burn a lot of gas, but it has an older Tecumseh engine. I think newer engines, Subaru, Honda, maybe Briggs, are more efficient

Hopefully useful

SuperSplit elected to upgrade the motor to the 1.5hp version, an upgrade that might not have been welcome seeing how I intend to run it off a generator at remote sites. Assembled the splitter and did a test run off of household 115v. No issues as expected... I think I'm really going to like this splitter. Now for the generator test... Ended up with a Champion 3500W/4000W max generator from TSC. Nice little generator for $299. I was kind of expecting the 1.5hp electric motor to stop it dead, but with a few seconds of struggling upon turning the motor on it runs it just fine. As expected once the flywheels are spinning there are no issues at all.
I know, pics or it didn't happen- I'll work on that tomorrow.

The electric SS is the cats meow. I love using mine. It's like you're splitting wood, but its....silent..:cool2: I would suggest investing in a good 10 gauge extension cord for it. May help with the start up lag.

:cheers:

The generator seems to burn a lot of gas, but it has an older Tecumseh engine. I think newer engines, Subaru, Honda, maybe Briggs, are more efficient

I've had a Harbor Freight 5500/6500 W generator with a 13 HP Honda knock-off for about 18 months now. I don't have any idea how many total hours its ran... I've used it a bit to power things and it did power the whole house once for about 5 hours. I suppose it has around 10-12 hours of run time and the 6 gallon fuel tank is just under the 1/2 full mark... I'm thinkin' it's time to drain the fuel and pour in some fresh. That's a lot of run time for just 3 gallons of gas... heck of a lot less then my splitter uses.

update

About a week ago I finally got the electric SuperSplit out to the wood lot for some action. First comment is that no towing option is kind of a pain. I mounted a small harbor freight 2000lb electric winch to the front of the pick up bed and have been using that to pull the SS up a set of ramps into the bed of the truck. Now I need to rig up a removable third wheel for the front leg on the SuperSplit.

Now to the splitting part, split for about 2 hours with no issues. Mostly siberian elm, box elder and some american elm. In that time I don't think I had to throw any rounds aside for the hydraulic splitter. Sure I stalled it on a few pieces, hit it again or at worse a third time worse case. Now if your splitting 30" round american elm full of knots all day long, you might as well go all hydraulic.
Also if you don't have a straight cut where the ram hits, you will bind the ram and it won't return. Light prying with a screwdriver will release. Just put the crooked cut towards the wedge and you don't have the issue.

Now after 2 hours of splitting my little champion 3500w/4000w peak generator would no longer bring the 1 1/2hp electric motor up to full speed. The generator would sit and buck, the motor would get up to about 1/2 speed (guestimate) and stay there.
Figured out later the splitter v-belt had bedded in and was not slipping like it did before... loosened the belt to allow for a little slippage and it's up and running again. I have not split anymore yet to see if the issue will return.

So - it really needs a little more generator, or it might have been ok if I had gotten the standard 1 hp electric motor.

Back