Get that off my yard !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTREES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The problem is that u don't have a lot of time, and your buddy with the winch on his trailer can't make it in a timely manner. I have 6 10.5' logs on a yard that would be great for planks. I got the smaller ones by hand winching them up ramps into the dump truck. The big ones 25-30" dia. won't work that way. I may have to make fire wood. I don't have a loader of that caliber to pick up the log. Some one please give up that secret of loading big logs on a truck.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't have a loader of that caliber to pick up the log. Some one please give up that secret of loading big logs on a truck.

I've toyed with the notion of a set of ginpoles ( like an old wrecker might have ) in the center of the bed with a winch or come-along mounted to a cross brace towards the cab. A hydraulic cylinder or two might work as easily.

Let the ginpoles almost all the way down. Hook a chain around the log and attatch it to a chain hoist on the poles. Winch the poles up till they are nearly vertical and let the log down with the chain hoist. Repeat as needed

You could just half (lenght wise) or quarter them with a chainsaw.

log problems

The problem is that u don't have a lot of time, and your buddy with the winch on his trailer can't make it in a timely manner. I have 6 10.5' logs on a yard that would be great for planks. I got the smaller ones by hand winching them up ramps into the dump truck. The big ones 25-30" dia. won't work that way. I may have to make fire wood. I don't have a loader of that caliber to pick up the log. Some one please give up that secret of loading big logs on a truck.

Another option is to buy three long wood fence posts and lash the three of them together with either rope or a chain to make a tripod and then use a come along attached to the chain to lift the end of the log up and allow it to clear the back of your trailer and as you lift the log up keep backing the trailer under the log to finish loading it on the trailer-time consuming but it works.

:clap: :spam: :chainsaw: :givebeer: :cheers:

Many ways I have set a block on a big limb and pulled them off the ground
with one truck and backed a trailer in under them. I now have a grapple truck so no need to get crafty! I also have a gin truck set up except I have to find poles but the way it works is winch log up and load on a trailer either parked or hooked behind it, this is the truck minus the poles and metal is high so trying to find some at a steel; pardon the pun. I am looking for at least schedule 80 pipe or square to support the load, note the 10000 lb pto winch is ready to lift some weight.

Last edited:
Ks

Good thoughts, you got me thinking about putting an A frame in back of the bed. Possibly pinning it into the slots where the tail-gate goes. Then run a chain to the front of the bed to the top of the A. I could then maybe attach the lifting devise and work it up by repositioning the log chain like you said.
The dump also serves as my chip truck so it has sides and a roof.:clap:
Now do I try to buy a winch ($) or use something like an engine hoist?
Is there anything of this sorts out there? Keep up with the replies, any fabricators out there? What type of stock should I start with (square, round,channel) ?
:monkey:

Ropensaddle

Nice winch, you give me yetta nother idea. weld a winch to the frame of the truck behind the cab and run it on a pulley. Thank for the in put:clap: :biggrinbounce2:

Nice winch, you give me yetta nother idea. weld a winch to the frame of the truck behind the cab and run it on a pulley. Thank for the in put:clap: :biggrinbounce2:

:agree2:

Grrrrrrrrrr GF stopped by, used the computer, and closed everything, including all the open documents I was working on. :angry:

The pulley above the winch is an excellent idea. It relieves the torsional forces from the winch plate when dragging heavy loads. Adds lift to the draw, reducing load drag too. If used with the ginpoles it keeps the angle of attack geat enough that it still has some lift as the cable get tight.

NOT that I'm saying you need the ginpoles It was only a suggestion that will work for me. YMMV . The longer the ginpoles are, the higher the stack can be on the truck. Of course I've been known to stack too high and to heavy to save a trip.

"Keep in mind, someoene elses advice might only be what's going to be good for them" - Dad 1927 -

Last edited:
Had to cut up 8 10' logs today:angry2: , But, got alot of fire wood and it is almost all split and one cord is stacked already. Im brain storming with this. Friend (auto mech.) sugested using (gave me) a 2 stage hand winch that can handle 3200#. attach it by the tail gate into a dove tail or somthing. Run it to a roller in the front of the dump back to a pulley on top of the A frame. :cheers:
what do ya think?

Had to cut up 8 10' logs today:angry2: , But, got alot of fire wood and it is almost all split and one cord is stacked already. Im brain storming with this. Friend (auto mech.) sugested using (gave me) a 2 stage hand winch that can handle 3200#. attach it by the tail gate into a dove tail or somthing. Run it to a roller in the front of the dump back to a pulley on top of the A frame. :cheers:
what do ya think?

Well 8 tp 10 footers I just throw in the back :hmm3grin2orange:
Look for and old truck like the one I posted great with gin poles
can lift more than what you think. I am going to fix that one for
back up for the grapple so I don't have to do the chunk thing,
if I can help it; ever again. I used to lay a grader blade down
on top of my trailer and roll them up and on the trailer. I have
used a winch on the trailer the same by wrapping the cable
around the log several times and then winching it up the grader
blade ramp!

Last edited:
Well 8 tp 10 footers I just throw in the back

LOL, ouch I think I tore something down there lifting up them chunks. 3 men (2 men, 1 moose) 2 hours of lifting 30" to 20" rounds. some of that was cutting. It's just a shame to cut up such nice timber. Split it and stacked half already, i'm beat! I don't want another truck, I would get lead poisoning for the expansion of the business. I really would like to keep it to 1 rig. I've got so people working on it. Hope to get welding soon. All in put welcome.

By the way, what do gin poles look like? I assume that it's a type of an A frame? What kind of stock is it made of?

By the way, what do gin poles look like? I assume that it's a type of an A frame? What kind of stock is it made of?

Yes, It is an A-frame on the back of the truck or the front if you choose.

Here is a link to a page give a better idea what they look like. http://www.atecdiversified.com/page49.html

I figured on making mine about 10 feet long out of 3 1/2" sch 40 pipe. It is 1/4" wall thickness. And instead of mounting them at the end of the bed I had in mind to mount them closer to the center.

Can you guys tell me a bit more about the gin pole set up? The setup that ropensaddle with the winch is what I would like to do. Thing is, I am not sure how the gin poles come into play. Do you lower the poles down and chain the log then winch the poles? Or do you use the poles to run the winch through using them just as an extended block.

Yes, It is an A-frame on the back of the truck or the front if you choose.

Here is a link to a page give a better idea what they look like. http://www.atecdiversified.com/page49.html

I figured on making mine about 10 feet long out of 3 1/2" sch 40 pipe. It is 1/4" wall thickness. And instead of mounting them at the end of the bed I had in mind to mount them closer to the center.

Thanks fer the link, I may check into their pipe costs to finish that
ole beast. I agree the center would probably be stronger I have thought
I may use the eyes at the end for supports and mount pipe to the center.
The pipe is friggin outrageous, last time I checked into it seemed like it was
600 for just the pipe! I have an old hope loader cable loading log truck I
thought of using the mast of it but the weight issue wow! I may get the old
log loader going some day or sell it. I have used it and loaded some large
logs but the old truck needs a motor and windshield and some other odds
and ends.

Thanks fer the link, I may check into their pipe costs to finish that
ole beast. I agree the center would probably be stronger I have thought
I may use the eyes at the end for supports and mount pipe to the center.
The pipe is friggin outrageous, last time I checked into it seemed like it was
600 for just the pipe! I have an old hope loader cable loading log truck I
thought of using the mast of it but the weight issue wow! I may get the old
log loader going some day or sell it. I have used it and loaded some large
logs but the old truck needs a motor and windshield and some other odds
and ends.

I was thinking of putting it over the axle so the poles didn't have as much leverage against the weight of the front of the truck. The ginpole trucks I usually see have the axle set as far back on the frame as possible or the frame shortened to right behind the spring hangers.

For a quickie on a dump bed why not attatch a chain at the front of the bed to the top of the A-frame. Raise the bed and hook another chain around the log and let the bed down. This lifts the log so you can back it over a trailer and load a tandem axle utility or car trailer. No winch needed. It should lift about the weight of the bed if gravity down and much more if power down.

Back