Getting a Huskee 22T splitter home from TSC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Huskee 35-ton splitter specifies 45 mph max, but I went about 30-40 mph for the 10 mile trip home.

There is the other issue of what your state regulations permit. In PA, I understand the law permits me to tow the splitter without active lights (during daylight) or registration/tags.

When picking up a splitter at a store be aware that final assembly is done at the store. Often the assembly is done by a stock boy, so check bolts to make sure nothing falls off on the trip home. On a recent forum I fellow picked up a new splitter and on the way home the tongue came unbolted.

They say the tires are rated for hyway but the rims and spindle often look the same as wheel barrow rims.

Tow with caution ,they have no suspension, a narrow stance , top heavy, and usually can't be seen from inside the tow vehicle.

My manual says maximum 45MPH on the 35 ton. I towed it home and intend on keeping it there . I bring the wood to the splitter instead of towing the splitter to the wood.

The first couple of nights I had to leave the brand new splitter outside of my 40 foot shop building until I could make room to move it in and out when using it.

This is what I did to discourage someone from stealing it. I took the hitch couple off. Decided to leave it off and I slip a 1-1/2" --4 Foot pipe in the tongue to move it around in and out. That pipe gives more leverage to move the splitter around.

Nosmo

I just towed a new 22 ton home today. I went 65 at certain times but this was on a very smooth road. It does bounce quite a bit if you hit bumps so make sure you slow down. I think it is fine to tow it occasionally, I also plan on leaving mine at home. Also they had to put mine together today and they let me watch. I filled up the 5 gallons of oil myself and purged the air like the manual says. I did have to tighten all of the hose clamps quite a bit, I don't know if they would have come loose or not but I would rather not risk it.

Mine is of the sme design and I tow mine often. But like others have said I go slow.

Well.....got it home OK!

Checked hose clamps and made sure oil was filled. I started it up and cycled it a couple times.

Shut it off and checked Hydraulic fluid again. Added the rest of the jug (5 gal total) and all is well, so far.

Probably won't tow it anywhere on the road again but will tow it with the quad around the yard.

Thanks for the input.

How much are they going for now , last I heard they were 999.00 on sale , I want one but haven't been able to bite the bullet !!!!! Wish I could find a good used one !! but they seem to go for almost new price's !!

Well.....got it home OK!

Checked hose clamps and made sure oil was filled. I started it up and cycled it a couple times.

Shut it off and checked Hydraulic fluid again. Added the rest of the jug (5 gal total) and all is well, so far.

Probably won't tow it anywhere on the road again but will tow it with the quad around the yard.

Thanks for the input.

same splitter i got nice unit and congrats they have one of the better cycle times, the larger ones are slower, max speed is 35-45mph depending on the tires but i would say what ever feels comfortable based on road conditions as i have exceeded that speed

this reminds me last year me and my buddy rented a splitter from a local rental place about 20 miles away and first thing my buddy did was hit the highway doing 70-75. it made it but it sure was a rough ride:dizzy: we got to bullcraping and he forgot the splitter was even back there

How much are they going for now , last I heard they were 999.00 on sale , I want one but haven't been able to bite the bullet !!!!! Wish I could find a good used one !! but they seem to go for almost new price's !!

Yes, $999. They've had them on sale for that price several times. Every time I go and check them out yet never bit the bullet.

Finally got the income tax check and decided it was time.

Next purchase will be a carport to cover my wood.

I purchased one after looking at all the available splitters and I am very happy with mine no problems runs great splits everything I have. I think 44000 pounds of hydraulic force is plenty ok for the people who will correct me about ratings lets say 38000 pounds much more and I could use it to split landscaping blocks. i personally think a 35ton is just a lot of over kill. Plus a lot more weight when trying to position it by hand. I payed 999. plus tax for mine.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back