Getting chains sharpened or buy new.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to saws. My local ACE has a guy that sharpens chains for $5. Would a sharpened chain be as good as new or am I better off getting new

Depends on how often you use a saw, but sharpening is the better deal. That's a good price; $6.50 here. Sharpen yourself isn't hard. I got the Husqy roller guide system and did pretty good. Now I have the Pferd tool and I like it better. Trying out a 20-inch chain I sharpened this weekend.

If you are new to saws and don't sharpen you will need a new chain tomorrow, if you get it sharpened each time it's dull it may last a year, it's you'r choice.

Maybe look at some chains the guy has already sharpened or get it sharpened and post some photos here. We'll tell you if it was done correctly.
Sometimes a low price doesn't mean a good job and we have seen some horror stories.

Research some on sharpening and buy a few guides, eventually you will be able to do it yourself for $30 in tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This and That!

I would never recommend getting chains sharpened. They are dangerous and nasty.
I will PM you my address, send me your dull chains and I will dispose of them properly. LOL!!

Seriously..................
I think a properly sharpened cuts better than new.
Get them sharpened for a period of time until you learn how to do it yourself.

Am surprised no one has recommended tungsten carbon chainsaw chain you can cut anything and never have to sharpen the chain again! Lol
In all seriousness best bet is learn how to sharpen a chain yourself and save money there is no magic shortcut unfortunately.

Yes, it all depends on who is doing the sharpening.
^ This ^.

It's not hard to sharpen a chain, but it does take a little knowledge and a little skill. The guy at your local ACE may be very skilled, in which case $5 is a good deal for professional sharpening. It could also be some kid who does not know what he is doing.

Like getting a haircut: if you find a barber that does a good job at a fair price, stick with them. But not every cheap haircut is going to look good.

Philbert

If they can do a pretty good job. Pay to get sharpened. Save the money that you would of bought new and you can use that to buy files and guides. Many types of all prices. Hang around here and read some sharpening threads or start your own with pictures of what your doing. Watch some YouTube videos on how to start.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

+1 on getting them sharpened correctly. Even a good saw shop may have a bad operator that day. I had a saw in for some maintenance. Didn't ask them to sharpen chain, but they did. Took of half of each tooth and they were blued (meaning they overheated the chain - will never hold its edge as well).

Drop off one and see how it looks.

I've heard good things about these guys:
https://www.razzorsharp.com/

To do it yourself, I recommend the Pferd (or Stihl is the same) 2 in 1. Really makes it easy to keep the correct angles amd depth.

https://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b0105.html

Years ago when I first started with chainsaws, I used a file guide (clamp-on-the-bar device which controls file angle and position) every time I sharpened. Never even thought about paying to have someone else do the job. Eventually, once or twice I paid to have sharpening done and found it to be a mistake. Paid sharpening is nearly always done with a grinder, and such work rarely can equal what a file does. And worse, like pointed out above, a poor grinding job can damage your chain, as well as removing way too much metal.

Best to learn to do your own. Much cheaper and way more convenient. Like others, I prefer the two-in-one guides that also take down the rakers.

For those that pay to get them sharpened, they wait til the chain is nearly FUBAR. Which means that much of that chain has been at work when at levels way beyond NEEDING sharpening. The overall integrity of the chain gets compromised and the saw is being over worked.

Keeping a chain sharpened is not difficult! Getting a chain back to factory after heavily rocking a chain can be difficult for the inexperienced, so having the shop do it for so little cash can make good sense.

Keep in mind that a new chain can be had for <$20, so after a few sharpenings you are essentially buying a new chain.

If you don’t already have a spare chain get yourself one or more.
It’s not really very difficult to learn how to sharpen a chain but it does take practice.
If you can get a decent quality sharpening job for $5 that sounds like a pretty good deal.
I sort of learned to sharpen chain using a Husqvarna roller guide they cost about $30 and after using that for awhile I now sharpen fairly well freehand . My local Husqvarna dealer charges $7 to sharpen a chain.
Since you are new to chainsaws you will probably learn plenty of lessons the hard way, if there is a safety class available I highly recommend taking it if you get the chance it’s surprising what you can learn there !

Back