Getting chains sharpened or buy new.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the ones who grind your chains you will need a new chain after four sharpening if that.
For the ones that need a new chain after four sharpening(s), you need some guidance on how to use the grinder!

I pointed at them and said that’s why your chain is dull. He said, oh,that little bit doesn’t hurt. YES IT DOES.
Several years back I posted a thread on some rough numbers on 'chainsaw math', and still use those today in training. Although it will vary with the saw, a cutter on a 16" bar travels around the bar about 20 times per second (!!!). So if the chain only touches the dirt for 'about half-a-second' , that means . . . .

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-saw-math.107300/
Philbert

Hello I'm new to saws. My local ACE has a guy that sharpens chains for $5. Would a sharpened chain be as good as new or am I better off getting new
I would never recommend getting chains sharpened. They are dangerous and nasty.
I will PM you my address, send me your dull chains and I will dispose of them properly. LOL!!

Seriously..................
I think a properly sharpened cuts better than new.
Get them sharpened for a period of time until you learn how to do it yourself.
I have so many new chains stocked up from ebay. And I bot that fancy sharpener Jolly EVO 300 watt motor. Its together just need to mount on bench in garage. This machine does it all compared to and I have one the junk buffalo ones. Even those can sharpen VERY good if you watch what you are doing. But you can get the cheapy cheap online. I paid $50 at nearby ranch store.

Yes it may take a few old chains to experiment with but all the angles and such are on back of box.

Heres what someone needs in their arsenal Should be jonsered cs2260 unused only started and test for oiling.VP fuel That has 18in 3/8 but have a 20 in same thing I cud swap.IMG_0242 (3).JPGIMG_0244 (1).JPG I have 2 could sell one!IMG_0238 (1).JPGIMG_0238 (1).JPGIMG_0238 (1).JPG

I used to hand file all the time, then at the end of the season [or if I hit a stone], I'd take my chains in to a guy and have him do them on his machine. Usually $7 or something. Liked the guy, he seemed to like me, etc. Then, he got lazy and was always having a cup of coffee or a can of beer when I stopped in. Instead of doing the chains while I waited, he'd say to toss them on the counter and come back in a week. I lived 40 miles away, means two trips down there for chains.

I finally bought a Maxx grinder and kept track of how many times I used it. Turns out, in two years I had broken even on the cost of the Maxx vs driving the chains all that way in two trips. Now I hit the chains lightly every couple days of use. With the Maxx. Still have the files, rarely use them except out in the field now and then.

View attachment 805076
Nice grinding job!
Now it just needs to be sharpened with a file to be really sharp.
It just needs sharpened right with machine. Someone went down to far giving a small hump in front of cutter. 30 degrees is norm but guys have their own preference. Husqvarna and oregon usually come 30 degrees

File that hump down by hand or otherwise and Im guessing guy did it on every tooth!

View attachment 805076
Nice grinding job!
Now it just needs to be sharpened with a file to be really sharp.
Hi ya holeycow, thank you for the compliment. No disrespect but our name says it all, Razzorsharp, trust me she’s as sharp as your gonna get a woodeater..
i love hand filing as well and grew up on it but I’ll gladly put my skills with my grinders up against any hand filling. Check our videos out on YouTube. thanks and God bless ya.

Attachments

• 91DFE56B-7215-45A0-9CBA-E3D1E1DC572C.jpeg
    91DFE56B-7215-45A0-9CBA-E3D1E1DC572C.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 10
  • A6C22856-D389-47A9-A606-190FD563B3F7.jpeg
    A6C22856-D389-47A9-A606-190FD563B3F7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 8BA51F22-B178-4C3F-94D0-67145C7C44AB.jpeg
    8BA51F22-B178-4C3F-94D0-67145C7C44AB.jpeg
    946.6 KB · Views: 10
  • D80BABDC-F854-4D3D-8E11-7470809D8A64.jpeg
    D80BABDC-F854-4D3D-8E11-7470809D8A64.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3115.MOV
    53 MB
I use 2 simple guides for sharpening chains. I use a stihl chain file guide that keeps the file up out of the gullet and up on the tooth that works great. And a depth gauge for the rakers. They are simple and easy to use and work great. I mount the saw in my vice to hold the saw steady. If you stay on top of it and don't wait till they are supper dull it only takes a few strokes per tooth and only takes a few min to put a fresh edge on a chain.
s-l400.jpg315EC3ohAqL._AC_.jpg

I use 2 simple guides for sharpening chains. I use a stihl chain file guide that keeps the file up out of the gullet and up on the tooth that works great. And a depth gauge for the rakers. They are simple and easy to use and work great. I mount the saw in my vice to hold the saw steady. If you stay on top of it and don't wait till they are supper dull it only takes a few strokes per tooth and only takes a few min to put a fresh edge on a chain.
View attachment 805111View attachment 805112
Those do work good!!!!

U try the Oregon EXL chains yet??? They are massive
Nah I just stick to stihl chains for my stihl saws.Most of the time the chain has stretched out beyond adjustment about the time the teeth are worn out. I have noticed a difference in a spur drive vs and rim sprocket in the amount of adjustment you get with ether one. The spur drive seems to have more adjustment but has it's issues with wearing a groove that makes the chain jump in and out of that groove changing the adjustment. Rim sprockets have less adjustment but they never change because of wearing a groove in them. Both have there pro's and con's.

Nah I just stick to stihl chains for my stihl saws.
Oh no A stihlhead!!!! Frawleys saw shop said guys think they are as good of steel as the stihl chains!!! I have 0 stihl products except their ultra synthetic oil. I had a good ms250 but had that oddball 063 ga chain. So I sold it. Had 2 290s 1 was replaced by dealer and second I just sold it. My 1999 poulan pro predator 56cc wud tear it up. I paid $300 for that saw in 1999 from shindaiwa dealer. I had to totally rebuild it. ALL parts were HUSQVARNA. I just use what I like and I have way too many saws. The makita/dolmar/maruyama 50cc saws are great when they run but they all the 50ccs have a flooding problem when sitting in a warm building.The cyl fills with gas. If you own one u prob know. Its a spring prob in carb and they CANT fix it. But theyd never tell u if u were buying. Look at ebay efco mth 5600 $200 55.5cc rim sprocket magnesium case 3/8 chain. I have one and you cant believe how it sells that cheap. My nephew is a die hard stihl guy but I gave him a redmax G5000 and he was highly impressed!

Hi ya holeycow, thank you for the compliment. No disrespect but our name says it all, Razzorsharp, trust me she’s as sharp as your gonna get a woodeater..
i love hand filing as well and grew up on it but I’ll gladly put my skills with my grinders up against any hand filling. Check our videos out on YouTube. thanks and God bless ya.
That stuff is good in your chainsaw case if you use one to catch oil dripping from bar.

Oh no A stihlhead!!!! Frawleys saw shop said guys think they are as good of steel as the stihl chains!!! I have 0 stihl products except their ultra synthetic oil. I had a good ms250 but had that oddball 063 ga chain. So I sold it. Had 2 290s 1 was replaced by dealer and second I just sold it. My 1999 poulan pro predator 56cc wud tear it up. I paid $300 for that saw in 1999 from shindaiwa dealer. I had to totally rebuild it. ALL parts were HUSQVARNA. I just use what I like and I have way too many saws. The makita/dolmar/maruyama 50cc saws are great when they run but they all the 50ccs have a flooding problem when sitting in a warm building.The cyl fills with gas. If you own one u prob know. Its a spring prob in carb and they CANT fix it. But theyd never tell u if u were buying. Look at ebay efco mth 5600 $200 55.5cc rim sprocket magnesium case 3/8 chain. I have one and you cant believe how it sells that cheap. My nephew is a die hard stihl guy but I gave him a redmax G5000 and he was highly impressed!

I run stihl's because of the number of dealers and availability of parts in my area. I'm sure there are other brands that are good, but there harder to find in my area. It's as simple as that. I have had very good luck with stihl saws and my ms290 is about 15 years old and stihl runs like new. I culled my fleet down to just 3 saws ms 261c/290/362. Three saws is all I need and with 3 I have a back up if one has an issue. I've did have to replace the ignition on the 362. Och was that an expensive part. And the 290 oil pump went out once. Other then that they have not let me down.

I run stihl's because of the number of dealers and availability of parts in my area. I'm sure there are other brands that are good, but there harder to find in my area. It's as simple as that. I have had very good luck with stihl saws and my ms290 is about 15 years old and stihl runs like new. I culled my fleet down to just 3 saws ms 261c/290/362. Three saws is all I need and with 3 I have a back up if one has an issue. I've did have to replace the ignition on the 362. Och was that an expensive part. And the 290 oil pump went out once. Other then that they have not let me down.
362 is good commercial saw!!!

Back