Getting into a used 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad has had his 046 for about 6 years one of the saws i first learned on anything we ever changed on it was the chain adjuster.. and that about it as far as anything major haha

Oh man I dunno about a price. As far as time, I've probably got 5 hours running numbers, an hour or two indexing, setup, and machining off the skirt bottoms and widening the inner pin bosses. Also my buddy probably had a good hour or so too doing the top.

This would be alot easier though if the combustion chamber was a normal concentric circle, then I could of done everything but the pin bosses easily on the lathe.

I've been doing some thinking since my last post. Your compression is a bit high for my tastes. What if I were to cut a smaller diameter pop-up in the center that would allow it to be done on a lathe. This would raise compression, though not as high. If I'm figuring right, the pop-up would end up around .050 high, although not filling the whole chamber it is higher than a "normal" pop-up.

I've been doing some thinking since my last post. Your compression is a bit high for my tastes. What if I were to cut a smaller diameter pop-up in the center that would allow it to be done on a lathe. This would raise compression, though not as high. If I'm figuring right, the pop-up would end up around .050 high, although not filling the whole chamber it is higher than a "normal" pop-up.

I think that would definately be an option. If i had cut my popup 050" my squish with no base gasket would of been around .028-.030

Does your cyllinder have a combustion chamber like mine?

I think that would definately be an option. If i had cut my popup 050" my squish with no base gasket would of been around .028-.030

Does your cyllinder have a combustion chamber like mine?

Yes the chamber on mine is the same as yours. Are the skirts as wide as OEM??? That could be an issue for me as my saw is ported already. I just traded my last extra jug off. :cry:

Very Very nice looking re-build and great looking pop-up piston.
Question though....
Why block-off the De-Comp?
What does that help?

Yes the chamber on mine is the same as yours. Are the skirts as wide as OEM??? That could be an issue for me as my saw is ported already. I just traded my last extra jug off. :cry:

The skirts on the meteor are actually wider than stock so if you went that route you'd still be in buisiness.I havn't measured, but it looks to be maybe 2mm, only the ring locating pins seem to be in the same place as stock or a tad wider, so you can only take the ports out the same or a bit more than with a stock piston anyway.

Thanks Cat, I blocked the decomp just so I don't have to worry about leakage in the future. Whether it helps or not I dunno, just playing around with things.

I just got it back together and running an hour ago. I ended up shimming up the cyllinder .003" for now. It pulls a little easier with all the extra oil in the cyllinder gone like others said.
I checked comp after i ran it for a few minutes and it hit 205psi. I will have to check it cold again somtime later to see what it's at.

Here's a crappy phone video I took, my garage is ready for a spring cleaning...

[video=youtube;9f-QQGZIdp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f-QQGZIdp4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Also another odd thing i noticed is that when the piston is at BDC, it is about .100" above the bottom of the exaust port. I cant really cut into the piston there at all because it's already cut .100" down to the first ring.

Also another odd thing i noticed is that when the piston is at BDC, it is about .100" above the bottom of the exaust port. I cant really cut into the piston there at all because it's already cut .100" down to the first ring.
Many saws are like that, not the end of the world. Most of the flow takes place when the exhaust port first cracks open.

Thanks for the detailed report on this build.

I put 3 tanks thru the 046 today wearing a 25" bar, it seemed allright. I had kind of a tough time tuning the saw for some reason, it sounds alot different than what i am used to. I'm going to get a tach on it to see where I'm really at. It seemed to do good at L 1, H 1.5, but it's not just right yet, I can't really get it to idle without spinning the chain, I'm wondering if it's just a power surge everytime it kicks over from the extra compression.

I'm running 90 octane with stihl ultra in it, that's the highest I can get without ethanol in it, short of going to the county airport and getting some 105 or whatever they have. Is 215psi too much for 90 octane?

It's still basically a stock saw with 200+ compression, I wanted to run it like this to make sure everything was good before doing the works on the cyllinder and muffler. So by those means I guess it did pretty good. The jug is coming off tomarro.

pics and video to follow

The tree is a very large White Oak that's been down for 10 years I would guess, 6 since I've known about it, it's still very solid, and hard. DBH I would guess is around 40", the 046 is there for size ref. I havn't decided yet what I'm gonna do with the trunk, It would make some nice boards I'm sure.

The chain is freshly sharpened, it was so grabby I couldn't even dawg in without bogging the saw down...rakers too low maybe

[video=youtube;sQG74rcpViM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQG74rcpViM[/video]

this was a very tough crotch
[video=youtube;r_1Fo5NBnCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_1Fo5NBnCE[/video]

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is that the same clutch??? Are the springs tight, and the shoe 's spring holes not wallered,,, if its not a new clutch it could be the problem with chain run on,,,

Most of my ported saws Lsetting about 1.25 -.5,,, H 1.5

Just saw the vids,,,, ya must have figured it out!!!!

Last edited:
Is that the same clutch??? Are the springs tight, and the shoe 's spring holes not wallered,,, if its not a new clutch it could be the problem with chain run on,,,

Most of my ported saws Lsetting about 1.25 -.5,,, H 1.5

Just saw the vids,,,, ya must have figured it out!!!!

Thanks, It's pretty close I think. I didn't even think about the clutch, I'm gonna have to check that out.

Thanks, It's pretty close I think. I didn't even think about the clutch, I'm gonna have to check that out.

Definitely try some new clutch springs. I almost always put in new ones on the stihls.

M&M might have them in stock after I bought the last 2 they had. I thought it was odd (and frustrating) they only had 2 in stock and took a look at the sticker on the bag, quantity order: 2.:msp_rolleyes: I found a new one in my stash, so it worked out in the end.

I think I just figured out my next 440/460 project!!!! LOLOL!!! It will really be sweet once U get it ported & MMed,,,,,,

That thing will be Nasty on Some Sunoco 104 Blue Ha Ha!!!!! heck the 260GT gold is 97,,,, with some Klotz R50 @ 32:1 Heck Yeah!!!!!

You may want to put a new decomp init for cold starts,,,, You'll be breaking starter pawls LOLOLOL!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks, definately gonna pick up some new springs for it.

What really sucks is right now my woods are under about 6 feet of water by the looks of it, I can't get within 200 yards of the cut up rounds,,,The current doesn't look too bad, but looks like I'm gonna take a loss on this one:( we'll see. This happends quite a bit to me..

Started porting the cyllinder tonight. My compressor took a dump on me before i could finish, a few things need evened out and made symmetrical.

The piston had a few aluminum micro dingleberries on the crown when I disassembled it, so it's gonna need race gas I suppose.

attachment.php

stock exaust
attachment.php

modified
attachment.php

stock intake
attachment.php

modified
attachment.php

Quistion

Have any off you guys ever made s piston on the lathe for a 046/460??

If yes how many psi with a lathe popup??

my buddy who was gonna make my piston on the CNC,called today and told that it run day and night the next 6 weeks:msp_mad:

:msp_thumbsup:how is the project going??

I got it back together by 2 a.m. the day of our GTG (Saturday). I gave it a quick light hone so it's got to break in but I think I'm happy with it.
I could have gona a little more with the ports I think, better than taking off too much!

Here's a vid from the gtg posted in the other thread. 046 on left, 064 right. My wood was a little smaller.
[video=youtube;d7glAStByjk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7glAStByjk[/video]

Latest posts

Back