Getting old! Me!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Must be. Drug the splitter out and layed into the pile of cottonwood. Made good progress but had to quit before finishing shortly after taking the picture. Even took 3 breaks getting that far - even rode the rider on one of them rather than walk the hundred yards to the house. Does not auger good for the future.

freewood.jpg

Looks like it will go a bit over a cord.

That stuff is being donated free to Russ, my neighbor, for his party barn fire pit. He gets all my 'junk wood'. I e-mail him and told him about and, said I'll let him use myh PU but want him to do the haulign this time. Time I cut it up, hauled it, ran it through the splitter I don't even want to see it anymore much less put more work into it. :) Stacks up some "neighbor points" plus he is the first call out on my disabled wifes emergency list. She has the "panic button".

Starting in on Steve's patch in the morning unless I chicken out...again...had planned to do it today but decided to work up the cottonwood instead.

Harry K

Looks good Harry, Seems like there is a good lesson to be learned from you post. You sure don't cry over spilled milk. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

It does feel good to get things done, that is the only enjoyment I get out of cutting grass. Then there is weed wacking, and the wacker gets used so little it doesn't run well. Start it ten times, put it away, let the stuff grow... She wants things trimmed, she can buy an electric trimmer and do it herself. Doing wood, I like! I've been doing a little cutting or splitting every day. Some days I don't want to, but I go out if only to clean up a little and pretty soon two hours go by, a little more of the log pile is cut and/or split, the saw sharpened, area raked up, something, if it is not raining. After work I have two hours set aside for me, for wood.
To give is a good thing, and having a neighbor pick up a load himself he will soon discover how much handling and work wood really is. I have a box made up on a pallet for cut-offs and junk wood that won't stack. I give it away. Their doing me a favor by taking it. Simply put it out by the road and it is gone in a day or two.
As for getting old, enjoy the moment, this life is temporary. My son volunteers at a children's cancer hospital two mornings a week (for three years now). He works at a psychiatric hospital second shift. Two extremes... And so, once a week, I continue to search for the enjoyment of cutting grass.
Looks like you have a beautiful spot there Harry.

Looks good! Always a good thing to help out a neighbor that helps out you :) Keep up the good work!

Bed time here is around 3am...but when the old man nap is 3 hours 5-8pm...

Then there is age problem of not being able to stay asleep more than about 3 or 4 hours at stretch.

In spite of all my complaining, life is good. I know too many people who can't do much of anything and even more who have already passed on at my age.

Hary K

Ive learned a very early age that getting old is earned should be appericated, Good for you yesterday i got up at about 700 and didnt go to bed until 230 or so after I picked my wife and her sister up at the train staion and drove my sister in law back home. Then again im I was on vaction all week helped my brother side his house and tilled and planted a small garden at my house just took it easy for the most part then again I start back to work tommorrow and Ill be up at 430 or so I hate going on vaction just because of this

...Then there is weed wacking, and the wacker gets used so little it doesn't run well. Start it ten times, put it away, let the stuff grow...

I own a weed-whacker and don't use it much either because I've learned...
Ya' see, I passionately hate cuttin' the grass; It just seems like I could make so much better use of my time. There's a couple of tight corners where I can't get the grass cuttin' machine into and I'll use the weed-whacker... maybe 5 minutes of whackin'... tops! There's only one thing I hate more than cuttin' the grass, and that's trimming... so I use Roundup along the edges and around everything. If I can't swipe over it with the grass cutter... I Roundup! I used to sweat trimming for a couple hours with a walk-behind grass cutter and weed-whacker before I wised up to the miracle of modern chemical application... now I don't even own a walk-behind.

Ya' just gotta' love that stuff... makes life so much easier.

My neighbor ground down the bolts on his mower deck spindles because they were leavin lines in the yard.:laugh: He didn't like to cut around the pine trees in his yard so he gave them a hair cut to 5' off the ground and then does the round up treatment in a two foot circle around them.

:msp_ohmy: I only do it around the house so I dont weed whip the fancy coating(soon to be installed) off of the cinder block,and around the pole barn because the tracks for the sliding doors kill my trimmer line...

I enjoy cutting grass. I find it relaxing in the bustling duties of retirement. But where's the grass. Crabgrass don't count does it? I get on my tractor with the 6 fool finishing mower and cut 5 acres of my "field if weeds". Takes me about 3 hours so I have planning time for my next chicken coop project. And of course deciding which tree to cut down next. :msp_smile:

I enjoy cutting grass. I find it relaxing in the bustling duties of retirement. But where's the grass. Crabgrass don't count does it? I get on my tractor with the 6 fool finishing mower and cut 5 acres of my "field if weeds". Takes me about 3 hours so I have planning time for my next chicken coop project. And of course deciding which tree to cut down next. :msp_smile:

Mowing is fairly relaxing but I hate the waste time making corners. Last year I started running out to the woodpile in the middle and cutting out from there, round and round she goes... I will also take the time to make a square corner into a round one. I've got the system fine tuned so I only have 2 awkward corners in my 1 acre pasture, most of the rest gets mowed without any fooling around on corners. Those don't come into play until I am way over 1/2 done.

Harry K

No good deed goes unpunished. Called him today. Bad news. He screwed up his bod _again_ and is on doctor's orders not to lift anything. Means I will have to haul it...worse, I'll have to stack it...even worse that means carrying it to the back of his (probably) empty wood "shack". Last time it didn't take the two of us long to empty a short load of spruce. This is going to amount to two good loads.

Perhaps I can get him to hire a kid for an hour. It would still be very cheap wood for him. Looks like it is going to be 2cords plus time I add a small pile of spruce to it.

Harry K

ABSOLUTELY. Hire a young (but strong enough) kid that won't mind making a couple bucks for a slight amount of honest work. I know, I know, that's pert near an oxymoron, but there are a few out there that still don't mind a bit of work.

I own a weed-whacker and don't use it much either because I've learned...
Ya' see, I passionately hate cuttin' the grass; It just seems like I could make so much better use of my time. There's a couple of tight corners where I can't get the grass cuttin' machine into and I'll use the weed-whacker... maybe 5 minutes of whackin'... tops! There's only one thing I hate more than cuttin' the grass, and that's trimming... so I use Roundup along the edges and around everything. If I can't swipe over it with the grass cutter... I Roundup! I used to sweat trimming for a couple hours with a walk-behind grass cutter and weed-whacker before I wised up to the miracle of modern chemical application... now I don't even own a walk-behind.

Ya' just gotta' love that stuff... makes life so much easier.

I don't know about you but I love weed wacking! I think it is fun but then again I need my exercise because I just sit on my arse on the riding mower while I cruise around the yard.

I don't know about you but I love weed wacking! I think it is fun but then again I need my exercise because I just sit on my arse on the riding mower while I cruise around the yard.

Hand held weed whacking is OK, but running the DR walk behind trimmer is awesome! I bet the newer ones that are self propelled are even nicer.

Latest posts

Back