Getting ready to make a purchase...Husky 359 or 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish317

Reaction score
Hey folks,
1st post here, but I used everyones info a few years ago to purchase a Stihl Pro 026. Great saw and has been dead reliable for 5-6 years. I am in the market for something with a little more A$$. I priced out some Stihl saws local to me, and it looks like I can get a comparable Husky much cheaper. I use the saw in the winter months for firewood, and in the spring to try and get ahead for the upcoming winter :)
Which saw will better serve me, and Last forever????????????????
Thanks,
Sean

Thanks for the input :) By the way, will an 18" bar be too small for this saw??? I have an 18" bar on my Stihl Pro 026, but was thinking of putting a 16" on that and an 18" on the new saw.

Thanks again,
Sean

Irish317 said:
Thanks for the input :) By the way, will an 18" bar be too small for this saw??? I have an 18" bar on my Stihl Pro 026, but was thinking of putting a 16" on that and an 18" on the new saw.

Thanks again,
Sean

I run a 16" on one, a 20" on the other two. Put an 8 tooth rim on it for anything under 20". It is a fun saw with a lot of power, but no saw will run good with a dull chain....

Another vote fore the 372. I've seen them used as landing saws,and used hard,with 32 inch bars. So...one saw...two or three different length bars,and you're good to go. Unless you get bitten really bad by the saw bug and start getting a different saw for every timber size...like some of us around here.:)

Good saw the 372, have many hours on them, I like a 24" bar with skip chain myself, seems to be ideal, I used a 28" for bucking with a Cannon bar, that was good too. Make sure you get the big dogs with it, the stock ones are to small for real use. When they are new they rattle apart a bit, tighten the screws, check them for a while, specially the one on the left side of the chainbrake. I put locktite on this one.

He's an easterner, clearance, so doesn't really need the big dogs. All my 372's are modded, and I run 20 inch all the way thru 32 on them. The latest one, modded by Ed Heard, is a beast, and easily pulls the 8 tooth on a 28" bar, and even beats my PP Dolmar 7900.

I also have an ehp 357, which will beat a stock 372, so it is a great saw for working aloft, with a 20" bar. (Stock it is faster than the 359, but modded, the 359 holds it own or is faster, the word is.

28" with an 8 Tooth, lol must be the softwoods of the west coast. Anything over 22-24" gets the 7 tooth on it here(for everyday work, not racin through pines)

Although a 372 that will beat a 7900, that sounds like fun.

For a second saw ........ 372XP . I dont think i would want to make the 372 the only but if you are going to cut fire wood or do more then just trim a few trees avery one needs a least 2 chainsaws . The smaller saw dont work very well for bucking the larger stuff and the larger saw dont work very well limbing. I would at least run a 20" on the 372 and have a 24" or 28" bar to fell - buck the larger stuff . For my 372 i have a 20" , 24" , 28" & 32" bars and only one size bar for each of my other chainsaws . (18" on the 346xp's & 20" on the 359 )

Latest posts

Back