Getting rid of stumps in woodlot ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any good ideas out there.

My John Deere 5205 really is great for cutting, splitting and brush but a stump removal tool, it is not

I usually cut em as close as I can without doin a dirt dulling on my Rancher chain

Then, I cut a couple criss crossed inch or so deep lines across top, not quite to edge

A touch of drain oil diluted with a lil kero allowed to soak in stump
(but naturally never overflow to pollute area)

Do this a couple times and let 'er soak

After a couple months, carefully light off the last still wet application, and it usually burns down enuf to bury itself

Needless to say for most of you guys....I am a *very careful* Old and never bold farmer.....

take care out there and do not poison or burn down those great wood lots we enjoy so much

Guess my question is...why?

It's a woodlot, not a lawn or field.

Only thing I can think of is if you don't want re-growth from the stump, and I got to think either a spray of some woody brush killer or a quick visit a couple times a year with a brush cutter would handle that problem with less time and effort invested.

I was in Home Depot a few years ago and they carried a solution in a 1 liter container that you mixed with water. Depending on the size of the stump you drilled some 1/2 inch holes and filled them with the solution. In a few months, it said the stump would be rotted enough to chip it apart with a pry bar. Don't know if they still carry it. Hope this helps.

Thx for suggestions Dalmat

Guess I needed to be clearer; stumps on my woodlot *trails*

My woodlot trails get pretty heavy use from the Deere Farm Tractor I mentioned.
I later use a 3 pt 7' brush hog on the Deere to control brush on the trail.

Me thinks from your question, perhaps you have not had the experience of a 7' bush hog, or a farm size tractor tire at faster than crawl,or dragging log, etccccccccccc impacting even a few inches of stump.

Axe Man;
thx; Homely Cheepo probably faster (and lots safer for me and enviornment)

I was in Home Depot a few years ago and they carried a solution in a 1 liter container that you mixed with water. Depending on the size of the stump you drilled some 1/2 inch holes and filled them with the solution. In a few months, it said the stump would be rotted enough to chip it apart with a pry bar. Don't know if they still carry it. Hope this helps.

That stump rot stuff is worthless. I tried it on several stumps around my place. Treated one according to the directions, one got treated and buried, one got treated, covered with plastic, and buried. AND, one got left alone.

A couple of years later, there was ZERO difference. None. Nada.

Last edited:
Needless to say for most of you guys....I am a *very careful* Old and never bold farmer.....

I am a farmer, so you dont want my advise.

I drill holes with a big auger bit about a foot, or more into the stump. Then just soak it with whatever I have that will burn for a year, but I keep a tarp over it to not let it dry out. If I have a 5 gallon bucket of waste oil, it all goes right on. I do that about once a week. (Not necisarly 5 gallons at a time) then a week before I light it I soak it with kero a couple times a day untill I am ready to torch it.

That usually does a good job.

But, I dont have to many stumps I feel I need to get rid of.

Otherwise, let em rot.

I just use this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s3qh5yAkhsc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s3qh5yAkhsc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My woodlot ended up being the back 1/3 of my 2 1/2 acre lot. 2/3 of that 1/3 was mowed yard. Oak wilt wiped them out in 2 years!! Plowed extensively both times. Wonderful feeling watching it jump right over the line each year.

Anyhow, had the 40 or so stumps (and these were all big, mature trees) removed with an excavator. Dug a huge pit in my new "park" and buried them.

Know a guy with a portable mill come out and take a look before I starting cutting and he could only find two sections about 16' that he could use.

I've had free firewood, (close to home, too) for years.

Brian

I would just rent a stump grinder and get it done in a weekend. Even with a 25-2 you could grind over 100 stumps in a weekend.

Scott

I use this 100 stumps in a day

007-4.jpg

I give farmers a good deal here if they have that many I can grind@ 12 per stump!

Great scot, Scott! :D Now that's the grinder I needed. I rented a Carlton that was probably 22 hp or thereabouts. It was very slow going. Nowhere near as big a bite as that one was taking. How big was that monster?

Great scot, Scott! :D Now that's the grinder I needed. I rented a Carlton that was probably 22 hp or thereabouts. It was very slow going. Nowhere near as big a bite as that one was taking. How big was that monster?

That was actually very slow imo I would of ground that little stump with out my containment filling up 60 seconds tops on a small stump with mine best day was 127 stumps! I like somethings about my machine such as; shaft drive, no belt bs huge containment. I don't like the clutch and the teeth tip replacement carbide not being available to solder on. I have had the small machines never again.

Stint,

Just cut the center out of an old steel wheel and drop it around the stump.
Then dump a bag of the cheapest generic charcoal you can find on top, dump some diesel on it to get it going, and put a match to it.
It will be sub flush within a day, and no risk of contamination or wild fire.

If ya got Deer hanging around, soaking stumps with Salt or mineral block brine works pretty well at times too.
Let Bambi tear the thing out and dig it all up.;)

Ya just gotta stop them from making a crater sometimes, but that ain't hard.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That was actually very slow imo I would of ground that little stump with out my containment filling up 60 seconds tops on a small stump with mine best day was 127 stumps! I like somethings about my machine such as; shaft drive, no belt bs huge containment. I don't like the clutch and the teeth tip replacement carbide not being available to solder on. I have had the small machines never again.

Yeah well compared to the biggest grinder I could find without calling Vermeer themselves....it was very fast. I don't need to do this day in, day out, but I have one large project here. 10 days rental isn't worth it to me, when it could be done in one big session with a monster grinder. What hp is that beast?

Yeah well compared to the biggest grinder I could find without calling Vermeer themselves....it was very fast. I don't need to do this day in, day out, but I have one large project here. 10 days rental isn't worth it to me, when it could be done in one big session with a monster grinder. What hp is that beast?

Just 60 hp cat diesel but gear and shaft gives it strength!

PS: the bigger Carleton I might be interested in after I wear this one out in ten years lol:cheers:

Last edited:
We've always cut our stumps low to allow for wheeled vehicle tractor traffic.

Stumps in project areas like swale holes, lot clearing, etc I'd let 'em stay till I could rent a backhoe at an affordable price then dig and bury them all.

Stumps on trail areas or lawns I'd just put some # cross scratches # in 'em fashioned in such a way as to hold water then they would rot out way faster with some occasional help from my friend Mr spud bar.
spud-bar.jpg

We've always cut our stumps low to allow for wheeled vehicle tractor traffic.

Stumps in project areas like swale holes, lot clearing, etc I'd let 'em stay till I could rent a backhoe at an affordable price then dig and bury them all.

Stumps on trail areas or lawns I'd just put some # cross scratches # in 'em fashioned in such a way as to hold water then they would rot out way faster with some occasional help from my friend Mr spud bar.
spud-bar.jpg

Lol it always amazes me at what will be done to prevent paying for stump grinding service:dizzy: I mean at 12 dollars per stump if you have over 50 stumps they're gone no more drilling crosscutting soaking with chemicals,digging with spades and spud bars lol. Likely your making decent money so lets say your a twenty dollar per hour employee just for a comparison. How many digging hours, drilling,soaking,lighting etc ? It is my bet it is more time than the 12 dollars to grind will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean at 12 dollars per stump if you have over 50 stumps

Wow! TWELVE BUCKS?!?!?

Not around here! I'd have to pay closer to twelve HUNDRED to get all my stumps removed, and I'd probably be on the high side of that. I've got less than 50, sure, but still, I'll probably pay a couple hundred apiece just for the pine stumps up front. I've got 5 of those, and most are in the 24" range. One is more like 36" or so. These are all cut very low, so those measurements are well down into the root flare. In the back I've got a half dozen that I haven't cut down yet. Those run around 14-16" at the top. Pines, with one white oak. That oak as a big (8") root going off one side for bout 3 feet, so I know it's going to be fun to dig it out. :dizzy:

Then I have another dozen and a half in the 4-12" range.

Man, if I could get them done for even TWENTY bucks, they'd be GONE.

Last edited:
Wow! TWELVE BUCKS?!?!?

Not around here! I'd have to pay closer to twelve HUNDRED to get all my stumps removed, and I'd probably be on the high side of that. I've got less than 50, sure, but still, I'll probably pay a couple hundred apiece just for the pine stumps up front. I've got 5 of those, and most are in the 24" range. One is more like 36" or so. These are all cut very low, so those measurements are well down into the root flare. In the back I've got a half dozen that I haven't cut down yet. Those run around 14-16" at the top. Pines, with one white oak. That oak as a big (8") root going off one side for bout 3 feet, so I know it's going to be fun to dig it out. :dizzy:

Then I have another dozen and a half in the 4-12" range.

Man, if I could get them done for even TWENTY bucks, they'd be GONE.

Lol the Rope may have to travel dis winter when things slow down. I have actually thought of traveling to do stumps I may look into it thanks.

Latest posts

Back