Getting rid of stumps in woodlot ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have done something similar to the "pushing over with the bucket" method. i will cut the tree off about as high as i can reach for leverage. i dont have a loader so i use my diesel 4 door F350 chained to the top of the cut. a few good pulls and i have the complete stump out. might take a couple of chainings in differant directions but i have gotten out trees in the 12-18" diameter range this way.

Nice to hear it can work with a pickup. I reckoned that the chain would just lift the back of the truck and break what little traction you have to begin with. I bet it is fun to try and pull one over!

You can throw a lot of good wood into your ring, trying to burn out a stump, been there done that!!!

Might try the charcoal method to see if that works faster.

After using all of my cut up pallet wood, I cut some more and also used some of the maple from the trees that I had just cut. When I found myself going to the wood pile to scrounge for "cast-offs" and "junk" wood I thought to myself "is this really worth it?" I doubt I'll use the fire method again unless I'm in a pinch as using the tractor or loader has been my preferred method in the past.

Nice to hear it can work with a pickup. I reckoned that the chain would just lift the back of the truck and break what little traction you have to begin with. I bet it is fun to try and pull one over!

i didnt think it was to bad, i had it locked in 4x4 though.

Back