Gippsland or victoria australia GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But honestly the saws I would like to try would be the solo 681 and 656. I have heard from a few guys now that the 681 pulls as hard as their 660's, and I reckon the 656 would be a good replacement for the 361/362, and hey they ARE a little bit cheaper than the stihl. MAYBE stihl should send me some prototypes to test in our aussie hardwoods to convince me again just how good they are! Seriously STIHL, cause I am hearing the SOLOS are very good!

Try re-selling those solos later though. You can buy your stihls, keep them for a year or two, sell them off second hand and buy new saws and lose very little money. There aren't too many other brands you can do that with.

Shaun

I'm hoping that with this GTG being in a forest area that our butts are well and truly covered. Last thing I want is to bring over $15k of saws and get them all confiscated. Just putting that possibility out there without trying to stir up trouble as 200+ saws will draw a lot of attention. Same deal as a heap of young hoons on a modified car cruise doing wheelies. We will stand out like sore thumbs and in the end if us using saws in that area is breaking any laws I won't be there, regardless of our chances of getting busted.

I think this is a very important aspect of this GTG that needs addressing - once again not trying to stir up any sh*t just wanting to ensure our arses are covered. Confiscated gear when breaking laws in state forest or national parks is NOT easy to recover.

I'm hoping that with this GTG being in a forest area that our butts are well and truly covered. Last thing I want is to bring over $15k of saws and get them all confiscated. Just putting that possibility out there without trying to stir up trouble as 200+ saws will draw a lot of attention. Same deal as a heap of young hoons on a modified car cruise doing wheelies. We will stand out like sore thumbs and in the end if us using saws in that area is breaking any laws I won't be there, regardless of our chances of getting busted.

I think this is a very important aspect of this GTG that needs addressing - once again not trying to stir up any sh*t just wanting to ensure our arses are covered. Confiscated gear when breaking laws in state forest or national parks is NOT easy to recover.

I'm with you on this Matt. Not stiring the pot, but needs addressing.

Starting any saw in the jurisdiction of the DSE will be rewarded with a lightening of our load just for starters. Would be a risk with anything less than written consent.

I'm with you on this Matt. Not stiring the pot, but needs addressing.

Starting any saw in the jurisdiction of the DSE will be rewarded with a lightening of our load just for starters. Would be a risk with anything less than written consent.

Yeah I'm glad you know where I'm coming from Al and with you being in Victoria I'm sure you understand their laws better than me. In SA just being found with a NON RUNNING saw in some National Parks and you're in all sorts of trouble.
The local authorites have confiscated people's gear from just cutting windfallen mallee on the sides of the road.

Yeah I'm glad you know where I'm coming from Al and with you being in Victoria I'm sure you understand their laws better than me. In SA just being found with a NON RUNNING saw in some National Parks and you're in all sorts of trouble.
The local authorites have confiscated people's gear from just cutting windfallen mallee on the sides of the road.

In NSW NP's the bar and chain has to be off the saw otherwise it's say ta ta to your saw.

Once upon a time you couldn't carry one at all.

Bugger i don't want to loose my saws. What can we do?

Peter

Dunno Pete. I was happy to have one at home but the boys want one down in Gippsland. That's cool, but out in the bush Is looking like it may be risky. Masculator needs to get into contact with the DSE and see what the go is, soon. Anywhere there is a suitable camp site probably won't suit a mass of chainsaws running and where you would normally cut probably won't be suitable for a campsite. See what transpires I spose.

Air fairs to Melbourne in the second week of the finals are not cheap.
I'm still keen to meet up but I could import another new saw cheaper.

Matt and Andrew do a lot of cutting on private property but I'm sure the landowners would freak out if there were too many people on site. These guys need to stay in the good books with the landowners, Other wise they might have already offered.

The silence is deafening in this thread and I think it is not from lack of interest but lack of a solution.

I've got 9 1/2 acres and can access plenty of logs so my place not an issue. However getting here might be a problem for some guys. If that occurred though I'd have to change the date as September a bit tight for me.

With the bike ride I'm doing in Sept, we aren't going to Silverton. Instead we are going up to Nymagee near Cobar, then Cobar to Louth across to Menindee then home, so depending on when you had it I could throw the 371 on the bike and shoot across. Would depend on when.

Back