girdeling an Oak tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God hates a coward, now back to your OP.
You are just going through the white/yellowish cambium layer under the bark. The Beetle larvae actually girdles trees and kills then. You don't have to go deep at all. Too deep with some species can cause snaping in the wind as the SAP wood is the strongest part (not the hardest) A tree can survive by a little thread still in tact of the Cambium layer.
Just saying. I don't have an opinion of how you go about it. I don't have oak experience. Generally with softwoods standing trees like Pine Beetle attacks are dry at the butt in 6 months and the top take longer but Birch, Cottonwood, Aspen are opposite. and defoliate and decompose from the top and take way longer.

I have seen dead white oaks stand for 7-8 years. Start shedding limbs then sapwood decomposes, roots rot and they finally fall over. Have 2 logs right now that died 12 yrs ago and I guarantee they will cut your saw rpm's after the first 2 inches of cut and they laid on the ground for 4 yrs after falling

I have seen dead white oaks stand for 7-8 years. Start shedding limbs then sapwood decomposes, roots rot and they finally fall over. Have 2 logs right now that died 12 yrs ago and I guarantee they will cut your saw rpm's after the first 2 inches of cut and they laid on the ground for 4 yrs after falling
No doubt it's harder than heck 'dry' . Some of the saw building styles down 'there' don't actually suit my style I need for softwood cutting although I can appreciate what they are capable of doing. I am VERY surprised that they would hit the ground in that short of a time considering the weight and wind sail is a non factor by then. Very surprised.

we was cuttin' up on pine hill overlookin' the surrounding saco river area going from Conway/redstone,when we ran across a"hitch" of red oak that had been laid out by the old feller I was working with some 35 years before when he had done an oak cut then,so as to let the white pine go better that we was cuttin'.the oak we hauled out of that hitch amounted to about 2 cords.the limb wood was nice,but the butt ends needed 2+yrs to dry.
most of the pine we was cuttin' was 6 log/tree...nice stuff
the old feller here in north Conway,that got me into chainsaws/cuttin' firewood back in the middle 60's,told me while I was helpin' him get in his own firewood out of his own 300+ acre wood lot that he had girdeled,he ran 2 cuts in pretty deep and would leave them with and without leaves and also to the point that they had no bark on them!!!!.. he claimed that"girdeled wood" aint as good as fresh cut wood , as the "goodness" drains out of the tree back to the earth.he was 86 at the time,and had cut wood off this woodlot since he was a child........food for thought.

I Personally Love AOK...It's AOK With Me.
Winter cut wood is best
the bark starts to fall off good after about 3 yrs being piled up long lenght
when you saw & split & deliver it...they say "my,thats nice wood,not like the others with the bark on"...got any more like that?
I've been in the wood business since '73...only took 'til about '03 to figure out that oak is the way to go.
here's a couple pic's of my lastest shipment,ready to start leave'in just as soon as the mud dries up

Attachments

• KHIEL OAK 2015 004 Large Web view.jpg
    KHIEL OAK 2015 004 Large Web view.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 40
  • KHIEL OAK 2015 002 Large Web view.jpg
    KHIEL OAK 2015 002 Large Web view.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 49
  • INTERNET POST PIC NO.321 Large Web view.jpg
    INTERNET POST PIC NO.321 Large Web view.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 41
No doubt it's harder than heck 'dry' . Some of the saw building styles down 'there' don't actually suit my style I need for softwood cutting although I can appreciate what they are capable of doing. I am VERY surprised that they would hit the ground in that short of a time considering the weight and wind sail is a non factor by then. Very surprised.

Brace roots will be rotten to within about a foot of the trunk and even though juvenile white oaks have a taproot that goes to china they apparently lose it as they get older. Plus a rather vicious freeze/thaw cycle in this part of the midwest . Maybe get a couple pics tomorrow

we was cuttin' up on pine hill overlookin' the surrounding saco river area going from Conway/redstone,when we ran across a"hitch" of red oak that had been laid out by the old feller I was working with some 35 years before when he had done an oak cut then,so as to let the white pine go better that we was cuttin'.the oak we hauled out of that hitch amounted to about 2 cords.the limb wood was nice,but the butt ends needed 2+yrs to dry.
the old feller here in north Conway,that got me into chainsaws/cuttin' firewood back in the middle 60's,told me while I was helpin' him get in his own firewood out of his own 300+ acre wood lot that he had girdeled,he ran 2 cuts in pretty deep and would leave them with and without leaves and also to the point that they had no bark on them!!!!.. he claimed that"girdeled wood" aint as good as fresh cut wood , as the "goodness" drains out of the tree back to the earth.he was 86 at the time,and had cut wood off this woodlot since he was a child........food for thought.

Winter cut wood is best
when you saw & split & deliver it...they say "my,thats nice wood,not like the others with the bark on"...got any more like that?
I've been in the wood business since '73...only took 'til about '03 to figure out that oak is the way to go.
here's a couple pic's of my lastest shipment,ready to start leave'in just as soon as the mud dries up
That was awesome, very enjoyable.
"Food for thought"

Jamie

Brace roots will be rotten to within about a foot of the trunk and even though juvenile white oaks have a taproot that goes to china they apparently lose it as they get older. Plus a rather vicious freeze/thaw cycle in this part of the midwest . Maybe get a couple pics tomorrow

Yes that would be cool. I am very knowledgeable in my areas but even here I could not give time frames as to when they may fall. I am even a Danger Tree Faller (DTF) & Danger Tree Assessor (DTA) with wildlife. But I have no reference a Falling time. The closest I have is cutting in old burns that are ofter 20yrs old gauged by the regen and 50% Is still standing. Probably due to less wind shake all well petrified wood from the burn

This is a tree that was girdled by loggers over 5 years ago and looks like it could stand another five.2006-01-01 00.00.00-8.jpg 2006-01-01 00.00.00-3.jpg

Good luck with that. A bur oak belongs to the white oak family so it must be fall planted ASAP after the acorn falls. If you PM me I can probably mail a few acorns to you this fall when they start dropping but any you collected last fall are sterile by now. I have tons of bur oak in my wood lot so it is no big deal for me to collect a few acorns. In PA they should be able to grow just fine. My winters and yours are probably similar as a zone 5/6 and they do just fine in average soils. My summers get into the low 90s and I get a bit over 20 inches of rain each year. I have one in my back yard that I grew from an acorn that I planted about 3 inches deep in the fall but they are not really good yard trees. Look at the acorns you have and think about running over them with your mower and you will know why.

I put them in moist peat moss in a 5 gallon bucket and put them outside since most acorns need the cold before they will sprout. We will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mallardman, stratification like that works great for the red oak family but not for the whites. The white family sends out a tap root in the fall and start growing upward the following spring. If you started the stratification process right after the acorn hit the ground you may have started the process in your moist bed so you would just transplant the resulting seedlings. Good luck.

Yes that would be cool. I am very knowledgeable in my areas but even here I could not give time frames as to when they may fall. I am even a Danger Tree Faller (DTF) & Danger Tree Assessor (DTA) with wildlife. But I have no reference a Falling time. The closest I have is cutting in old burns that are ofter 20yrs old gauged by the regen and 50% Is still standing. Probably due to less wind shake all well petrified wood from the burn

couple of white oak stumps. The big one was killed by lighting circa 2004, finally fell over about 2012 ( did not think my skills were enough to cut it in 2004) managed to get enough chain and cable together to get it out of the woods that winter. Logs still in the field and very sound. Smaller killed apparently by shock of a logged tree collision about 5 yrs ago. Fell this summer, very little soil on top of shale rock adjacent to aDSC00297.JPG steep drop. Apparently roots maintain all of the characteristics of sapwoodDSC00294.JPG

Winter cut wood is best
Man that wheel barrow is getting it done.

Latest posts

Back