Give me your best guess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know this is near impossible but for those of you guys who buy tops, try and guess how many face cords are in 300 tops. It is mostly red and white oak, some cherry and a few hard maple and probably 40 or 50 walnut. A guy asked me if I was interested and I said I was but right now I have a real bad attitude (end of the cutting year and my saw seems to be getting heavier everyday). Anyway, I guessed about 2 per top. What do ya think? It's fairly close to my farm but in 3 different woods.

I would guess 1.5

But how many of the tops he is trying to sell you are inaccessible? I have many in the bottoms of the hollers that I am not going to be able to get out.

I know this is near impossible but for those of you guys who buy tops, try and guess how many face cords are in 300 tops. It is mostly red and white oak, some cherry and a few hard maple and probably 40 or 50 walnut. A guy asked me if I was interested and I said I was but right now I have a real bad attitude (end of the cutting year and my saw seems to be getting heavier everyday). Anyway, I guessed about 2 per top. What do ya think? It's fairly close to my farm but in 3 different woods.

Buying tops? I guess I should consider myself lucky! I have all the free tops/fencerows blowdowns etc. I could want for a lifetime for free. Around here it's given away. Most is easy pickings also. Where are you in michigan?

Most people will let you have them To clean the place up a little bit .

Well he told me $10 a load and I bulked. I said too much for me and then he offered them to me for nothing so I guess I mispoke. I have a hard enough time cleaning up our dead elm but the whole thing does seem challenging. And to the guy from Indiana, I can get them all, no problem. We don't have "hollers". It's as flat as a pancake here. I jsut don't know how quickly I can get them done (I farm and my saws just don't seem to run well when it's 90 out!)

Buying tops? I guess I should consider myself lucky! I have all the free tops/fencerows blowdowns etc. I could want for a lifetime for free. Around here it's given away. Most is easy pickings also. Where are you in michigan?

I'm up around Owosso. Also I'm a little bit like you. We farm a 1000 acres and have a tough time just cleaning up the crap that falls in the field. We did cut a little over 200 face cords this year and sold about a 100 of it. I think I can get rid of much more if I want to so I might make a token bid and see if he just wants me to clean them up. 300 tops seems like one hell of a lot of tops though.

I'm up around Owosso. Also I'm a little bit like you. We farm a 1000 acres and have a tough time just cleaning up the crap that falls in the field. We did cut a little over 200 face cords this year and sold about a 100 of it. I think I can get rid of much more if I want to so I might make a token bid and see if he just wants me to clean them up. 300 tops seems like one hell of a lot of tops though.
hows the TW-6 running tony? I made a good score on wood recently, Ill PM you later, I gotta go to work, see ya

Tw6

hows the TW-6 running tony? I made a good score on wood recently, Ill PM you later, I gotta go to work, see ya

I used the heck out of it Henry. We split about 200 face cords. There are a few things that I would change but all in all I'm pretty happy with it. I am very glad I went with the 6. The crap I had to split was big, really big. Made the old girl grunt!

Latest posts

Back