Glad to see the site back on track

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually check the new posts daily, have not logged in for over a week. I couldn't stand the ad or whatever that hack was. Thanks for fixing.

On the bright side, I've learned a lot about computer stuff in the last couple of weeks. Okay maybe not exactly bright. More of a tiny glimmer.

On the bright side, I've learned a lot about computer stuff in the last couple of weeks. Okay maybe not exactly bright. More of a tiny glimmer.

Me too. I'm just an old computer illiterate dummy but I learned a little bit about having good security on my computer the last few weeks. ( Thanks to my bil.) My hat go's off to the guys at AS who are working on this.:bowdown:

I had to block Javascripts again this morning to get onto the site.

No, the site is still compromised, any dot gs is still there.

My opinion only,. it would have been a lot better to nuke the site the first day, save a snapshot or two offline, reload the site with some new rules, with a clean new vbulletin, start over. Later on once diffs have been run on all the old archived stuff and it is really cleaned out for sure, reintroduce it as an archive.

These malware guys hide code all over the place, it is hard to winkle it all out.

This is driving me crazy. :angry::bang::taped::censored: I would love to get a hold of the azz that's been causing all this mess. I know nothing about all this crap but it seems like it's easier to hack a site than to keep it hack safe:angry: It's a crying shame all this has to happen when there's a saw raffle going on to help a member in need over on the chainsaw forum. I'll probably just take a break from this site for a while and hope it's back to normal when I come back.

Yes, this site's "infection" is a bad deal!! I'll check back in a week or two to see if it's fixed. Good Luck!!

I've been trying to keep track of the goings on over here on the Arboristsite.com Fan Club on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/56478707772/ Heck, even join up! Generally when it gets quiet over there it's safe over here. I still have that java script thing disabled though. I'm finding it useful for other sites too! :msp_biggrin:

I did find a couple of other sites similar to this that I can fall back on so that my CAD and FAD disorders won't dwindle much while Darin fights the good fight. So just be patient and this site will come back stronger and better than before. Then I expect my CAD and FAD to become full blown and incurable! :msp_scared:

This is driving me crazy. :angry::bang::taped::censored: I would love to get a hold of the azz that's been causing all this mess. I know nothing about all this crap but it seems like it's easier to hack a site than to keep it hack safe:angry: It's a crying shame all this has to happen when there's a saw raffle going on to help a member in need over on the chainsaw forum. I'll probably just take a break from this site for a while and hope it's back to normal when I come back.

it is usable if you just learn how to either disable javascript all the way or selectively disable this or that domain. Right now the redirect script is any.us, that needs to be blocked. That can change though, so best bet is just for the time being don't allow any javascript on this site.

I have mine all turned off, can surf, see no redirects.

It really isn't that difficult at all, I mean..it is easier to learn and do than mounting and unmounting a chain and bar on a saw.

Firefox browser, with Noscript add on. Once you learn that combo, there are numerous other security related add-ons.

That works and is the simplest.

Internet security is EVERYONE'S responsibility. Everyone who goes driving on the information superhighway needs to learn some basic rules of the road and be a conscientious safe driver. it isn't just the other guy's problem, it is everyone's responsibility to get up to speed somewhat here.

On nerd/geek/tech forums we have always laughed about it and said maybe people need a license and need to pass a test to use the internet, same as sometimes here we have thought perhaps people need chainsaw instruction before they walk out the door of the store with a chainsaw.

It is just a good idea to practice safe sex, safe sawing, and safe surfing. There are tech forums out there, howto's, etc up the ying yang to learn things. Any subject ya want, including home browser/surfing security.

the internet is not just another appliance like a television, you actually have to learn to use it. I mean, that's just reality. if you are surfing around accepting all the javascripts sites have..man, chances are *high* your own machine is hosed already.

Here, read about zombie computers (everyone who doesn't know and isn't already a computer geek)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_computers

Read that right there ^^^ and find out why it is important to learn to use your computer tool properly.

I'd bet a decent sum right now just based on all the complaints and etc I have read on the various "help, hacked site, this sucks" threads that a shedton of home computers from members here are borked right now. Zombies, and they don't know it. Sending out spam in the background all the time and all the owners might notice is gradually their computer runs slower and slower. Can't prove it, but this is typical modus operandi of malware dudes.

I AM NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN OR DIS ANYONE.

Just saying it like it is to help people.

okay, you've defined the problem. i believe i know the answer, but for those who are clueless (might actually be me) , what is the solution? i'm guessing spyware, endpoint protection, etc.
anything else?

okay, you've defined the problem. i believe i know the answer, but for those who are clueless (might actually be me) , what is the solution? i'm guessing spyware, endpoint protection, etc.
anything else?

I don't do windows, can't help there. Stopped using windows a long time agom, never liked it, and tried it several times. I run linux now. People running linux here already know what to do.

Various places and online scanners and whatnot exist to help microsoft windows users, but I can't recommend any offhand, outside my current computer knowledge. Someone else I am sure though can give better advice as pertains windows. (whomever this is applicable to).

Just for a browser though, windows included, I recommend firefox with the various security add-ons, starting with Noscript.

Me, if I thought I was compromised, I would erase the hard drive and reload a known clean operating system from disk (CD or DVD) and apply all the updates immediately. I wouldn't even bother trying to find the malware, too easy for a line of code to slip through.

I would do the same with a website, but that's just me..I like simple and effective.

At home you can backup your data perhaps online, various places for that, documents/pics/vids, etc. Google docs, picasa, photobucket, flickr, youtube, etc.

Modern mac operating systems I haven't used, but again, they have some good online support forums. I used apple gear and software pre OSX, that's a long time ago now, I doubt anyone here is using like mac os 8.x stuff. (although I do once in a great while for a hoot)

HTH

I just want people to realise that compromised sites can and do daily nail people who surf through, and a lot of times they are totally unawares, and the site itself might not be aware they are compromised.

Getting good control over your javascript usage and permissions goes a long way to avoid internet cooties, with any operating system and browser combo.

For folks just finding out there are in fact more operating systems out there besides windows (like there is more than one truck or chainsaw brand..), you can go to distrowatch.com and check it out. One column on the right side has this weeks most popular distrubutions or "distros" as they are called. Linux Mint is probably the easiest and most feature rich and best support, etc, of the current batch. You (or friend or local shop or...) need to be able to download and burn an "iso" image to disk to be used to load it up.

There are walkthoughs at those various distro support forums to help. Anything in the top five or so distros will always be pretty good. I know linux mint is based on ubuntu and they do the work so that a lot more "stuff" works seanmlessly out of the box, including media playback.

The amount of free software available is downright unreal....

I cant or at least I can only try to comprehend the tremendous hassel it is to try and run a site and contend with hackers and alike
the disappointment and frustration would make me crook
Thank you ArboristSite for fighting on

The site to me is very highly valued and a wealth of help and information
Thank you

Woodchuck 2900 domestic coil

Hey fellas. just bought me a woodchuck 2900 wood furnace. Was thinking of buying the domestic coil for in it but I heard some people say they dont work so well. Anybody have an info on this. Thanks for the help:bang:

Latest posts

Back