Stihl 025 bar oil leak on the rear / right side of the muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 wrangler

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question. I remember seeing a service bulletin on the MS290 and 310's back in the day about replacing the duck bill or rather a missing duck bill with a grub screw. Is the same true on the 025 saws. If so, what size of grub screw works as it seems like the hole is larger than that of the MS290's. If I am off track here, what is the remedy? Thanks in advance of any and all replies.

I was given a 250 with that problem a number of years ago. A shop had told the PO it couldn’t be fixed. I’m pretty sure it is only a plug missing & a grub screw will do the trick. I can’t help you with the size as I just used one I had on hand that fit.

I knew there was a fix. but my memory isn't very good anymore.....I went through my inventory of parts and I actually have the recommended repair part from Stihl. Its a grub screw part number 000 953 1001 about 1/4" long. Sorry and thanks for reading my post just the same.

Good deal.
My friend wasn’t too happy when he found out how easy of a fix it was.
I know! I think I had something like .27 cents in this grub screw repair. Retired for 10 years, I do simple repairs for my friends and family. Oh well, I made a good living while employed but so did the man who owned the business. BTW...when all employees that could pass a drug test, had their own tools and weren't afraid of getting their hands dirty, all was good. Today, that simply will never happen again. I say that because the owner, my former boss / employer passed away three years ago and right as of this minute, the business is no more! Sadly we live in a throw away and buy new world. I sure hope that Stihl remains a stand alone company because the only Stihl products that go to the "land fills" are those owned by people who have more money than common sense! In short, my moto is this, old Stihl's never die. Bring them to me before you toss them to the junk collectors!

Hey, I am sorry to have posted a question prematurely on a problem that I had almost at my finger tips. Senior moment but here is another Stihl part number for the "grub screw". If you can get it to work because it must have been superseded by the last part number I posted. It is 9134 381 1230. It is a perfect "no tapping" required grub screw. Use some loktite, red is preferred but blue will also work. Start the screw straight with a 3mm T-wrench and allow one thread out from flush to avoid going too deep and blocking the flow of oil from the pump to the bar and your all set! Stihl should have installed this grub screw right out the gate instead of sending out a service bulletin after a few thousand saws of this family left the plant.

Hey, I am sorry to have posted a question prematurely on a problem that I had almost at my finger tips. Senior moment but here is another Stihl part number for the "grub screw". If you can get it to work because it must have been superseded by the last part number I posted. It is 9134 381 1230. It is a perfect "no tapping" required grub screw. Use some loktite, red is preferred but blue will also work. Start the screw straight with a 3mm T-wrench and allow one thread out from flush to avoid going too deep and blocking the flow of oil from the pump to the bar and your all set! Stihl should have installed this grub screw right out the gate instead of sending out a service bulletin after a few thousand saws of this family left the plant.
These come from the factory with either a rubber or plastic plug of some sort. Occasionally they come out and cause a leak/no oil problem.

Back