Glide-style bridge on split-ring saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbor Barber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I was looking at my saddle...it's an old Weaver with the split d-rings in front connected with a butterfly snap. In Oregon, a company I worked for provided me with a Glide and I loved the freedom of movment but $400 bucks is a lot to sink when you've already got functioning equipment. So...

Why can't I just put a glide style rope bridge on the d-rings of my Weaver? Has anybody done this? Any rope recommendations? It seems like I'd want something that doesn't flatten out, something that's super strong, etc. I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason why this would be a bad idea, though, and that's got me worried.

Any input?

So I was looking at my saddle...it's an old Weaver with the split d-rings in front connected with a butterfly snap. In Oregon, a company I worked for provided me with a Glide and I loved the freedom of movment but $400 bucks is a lot to sink when you've already got functioning equipment. So...

Why can't I just put a glide style rope bridge on the d-rings of my Weaver? Has anybody done this? Any rope recommendations? It seems like I'd want something that doesn't flatten out, something that's super strong, etc. I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason why this would be a bad idea, though, and that's got me worried.

Any input?

You could but those Weavers are such heavy old things. Why not try the Butterfly II it's awesome, you can fit any bridge you like and you can get it for $275.00 You can get the Glide for less than $400.00 too. Even with a rope bridge the Weaver will still feel like you've got an armchair attached to your butt even if rope has got freedom of movement.

I concur on the B-fly, it's a dominant force. I use my old Buckingham as a false crotch/friction saver to hang the block off of, lol.

Last edited:
I think I meant $300...I've got the Sherrill catalog open right now and I can't really see that much difference between the Glide and the Butterfly. It looks like the hardware on the BFly might be a little easier to swap out, which is nice.

The thing is, the closest store where I could actually check stuff out is - or used to be, anyway - in Sacramento, which is a couple hundred miles from here, so it's a pain to try stuff you don't know about already. It's led to us being behind the times, as a consequence. I started working trees in 2001...until I moved to Oregon, I thought the d-ring saddle and the tautline hitch were the newest technologies in tree climbing...I also learned from and old Euc cowboy, which didn't help in that department either, I guess.

I'll look into the Butterfly, though. But in the meantime, no problem with tying a rope bridge across my d-rings?

I think I meant $300...I've got the Sherrill catalog open right now and I can't really see that much difference between the Glide and the Butterfly. It looks like the hardware on the BFly might be a little easier to swap out, which is nice.

The thing is, the closest store where I could actually check stuff out is - or used to be, anyway - in Sacramento, which is a couple hundred miles from here, so it's a pain to try stuff you don't know about already. It's led to us being behind the times, as a consequence. I started working trees in 2001...until I moved to Oregon, I thought the d-ring saddle and the tautline hitch were the newest technologies in tree climbing...I also learned from and old Euc cowboy, which didn't help in that department either, I guess.

I'll look into the Butterfly, though. But in the meantime, no problem with tying a rope bridge across my d-rings?

Try ordering online.

I don't see a problem but you'll still be walking like John Wayne LOL. Which Weaver have you got? Mine has two sliding D's anyway so I don't think a rope bridge would be of any benefit. If you have the two Ds on the side that pull together I've a feeling that the rope bridge may pull your legs together like a shrimp in pastry!:laugh:

Ordering online is the problem - that's all I can do. In person you can demo stuff. But I think you're right about the legs pinching, even though I'm not a huge guy. Compared to the rope bridge saddles I was looking at, the d-rings on my saddle are really low. I think I'll probably end up just buying a new one and hanging the old one on the wall...

Last edited:
Ordering online is the problem - that's all I can do. In person you can demo stuff.

Just factor shipping into the cost of getting a perfect harness. Call up wesspur, order 5 harnesses, hang in them all for a few minutes/hour whatever you need. Then send back the 4 that you don't like.

It'll be a pain, but would probably take less time than driving to an arb store to try stuff on.

love
nick

The butterfly doesn't come with a round bridge, its more like webbing. Not a bad thing but doesn't work to well with something like a micromouse pulley. The glide has more padding and attachment rings than the butterfly. The butterfly is lighter though. Both are good options.

If you're not a stickler for ANSI, I'd get the petzl sequoia or the treemotion, although those are both considerably more expensive then the glide or butterfly

A rope bridge doesn't pull your legs together because the saddles mentioned have independent leg straps

Last edited:
The butterfly doesn't come with a round bridge, its more like webbing. Not a bad thing but doesn't work to well with something like a micromouse pulley. The glide has more padding and attachment rings than the butterfly. The butterfly is lighter though. Both are good options.

If you're not a stickler for ANSI, I'd get the petzl sequoia or the treemotion, although those are both considerably more expensive then the glide or butterfly

A rope bridge doesn't pull your legs together because the saddles mentioned have independent leg straps

On the 'traditional type Weaver' which we were talking about it would definitely pull your legs together because there isn't any leg straps never mind independent ones!

Back