Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Bison gloves and reinforce with Gorilla tape. This has worked really well extending the life of the gloves. Initially the gloves are stiff where you put the tape. It does not take too long to break the tape in.

XTROOPER

I need a chair that looks like that top glove :D

Consensus seems to be that no glove last indefinitely.

Gloves have to fit snug or they drive me nuts: I found an Ace Brand latex dipped glove (identical to the Atlas brand) that fit right, but they were basically hand saunas, even in the cold.

Treestuff.com sent me a couple pairs of these:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=399
on my first order and they are awesome; the fit is fantastic, and at less than $2 I don't care if they wear out in a week. They breathe much better than the Ace brand glove, but are still sweaty, but not horribly so. I use them strictly for tree work as they "bite" into anything you grab, be it rope, smooth wet branch, or barky bole.

I don't like to wear gloves when running the saws, splitting and hewing, prefer the direct contact feel.

For moving wood, I use a cheap pair of good fitting leather gloves, usually about $10 from a lumber supply company.

I wear all leather Kinco gloves. I paid $9.99 at them at my local true value. They are great gloves. I wear them for everything.

Cut Less Dyneema gloves. Even tougher than Atlas gloves. I usually burn through the cheap leather gloves in about a week. The Dyneema ones last almost a month. They use Dyneema for bowstrings and ballistic armor, it is tough stuff.

Well I bought some atlas gloves. So far moving splits and rounds I like them. But when someone called me and I found that they work with my phones touch screen I became sold. I no longer have to take my gloves off.

I have yet to see anyone talk about nitrile coated gloves. They are kind of like the atlas gloves where it starts as a cloth glove dipped in rubber. Instead of the rubber these are dipped in nitrile. I buy them from a local gardening store. Gloves are very very thin, aren't made of cotton(don't seem to sweat as bad, still do) and last a very very long time. I bought a pair for my buddy($5 a pair) for his dainty hands to do landscaping work with me. I didn't buy a pair for myself because I go through gloves like no other and these things were so thin and flimsy I didn't think they would last a day. Well I've go to tell you, I've worn leather(pig, cow)skin gloves and they last quite a while but I still always wear out the right hand thumb and index like everyone else. Not these gloves though!! I'll bet I go through 3-4 pairs of leather for every pair of these cheapo nitrile gloves. I still can't believe how long they last. They are so thin that its almost like wearing no gloves at all. Hold on I'll run outside and grab them to see the make and model. Be right back.

Well I didn't go outside to find mine but I found a link to some that look just like them and they are Atlas brand(so maybe this is what everyone is already using?). Here it is: https://shop.gardening123.com/Product?ProductID=HVYHzj9CEj0=

Atlas 370-Google that if link doesn't work.

I bought a pair of rubber dipped cloth gloves made by dewalt and I had those worn out in about two eight hour days of landscaping jobs. Rubber doesn't even come close to the strength of nitrile.

I am just in love with these gloves!! Cheaper than leather and last longer! Thinner than leather(I hate wearing gloves, because I can't feel anything). I can't say enough good things about them! I'll stop going on and on about gloves.

Hope this helps someone else out cost wise!!

Aaron

I'm a big fan of the "Atlas" brand cotton gloves that have the palms and fingers dipped in rubber. I have tried other brands and the rubber tends to flake off after a while. With the Atlas gloves it wears off. The cotton/poly base part of the glove lasts a long time even after the rubber is gone in the high wear areas. I bought 2 dozen pairs of them last christmas and split them with my dad. Half were the regular "fit" gloves and half were the "thermal" ones. I haven't worn a hole in a pair yet.

thermal.jpg
300.jpg

Upon suggestion of this thread, I tried these gloves. :msp_thumbup: Are lasting much longer than any other type.

Nitrile gloves

I looked at the nitrile gloves just before buying the latex covered. Being so thin I did not think they would last. They state on the package they are for working in wet conditions, providing a better grip. The gloves that I was looking at were a black nitrile coating. I know home depot, and lowe's carry them as well as walmart. I will buy a few pairs and try them. Thanks for posting this.

Have not read all the pages of this thread, but this is what I found. When I left a job I took the gloves I was wearing with me. Who else would want to wear them? They are called X-Grip, a cut-resistant, tight fitting glove. My pair is fatiguing at the base of the thumbs from being a bit to small. So far I have cut, split and stacked twenty full cord with them. Impressive! I googled them on-line. Mine has a numeral 8 under X-Grip. Everything on line is s, m, l, ex-l. So what size do I order? They are often sold by the dozen, $75. or so. Individually they are $10.00 on some sights. Liberty x-Grip PU coated cut-resistant gloves. 20 cord... really; they might go another 5 to 10 cord. I guess I'll order one large, one extra large before ordering a dozen. 12 x 20 or 240 cord. I might not need a dozen...

I have liked the atlas gloves that I bought. They are black with a gray coating. They were all I could find.

I like leather. We buy tight fitting large pig skins from Wally World for 8 bucks and they stretch in very nice. Thinnest and best wearing for me under most conditions. They last maybe a week or less under high work loads. Broke in ones will last longer if you coat the wear points with pine pitch and let them dry out for firewood use. I like the feel, protection and strength of the thin leather. They have great grip when wet or dry but grip sucks when icy or snowy.

I would never wear stinky gloves but might try some tool dip or glue on patch overs in the wear prone spots just for firewood.

Always wondered if Kevlar would work good with some tool dip on the wear points for grip, protection from splinters and nasty oily stuff. I think they would breathe better than leather, last longer and be washable.

I can wear out a pair of leather gloves in 1 day. I usually use the knitted things with the little rubber grippers on them. Reversible. Wear out the right and swap it with the left. I can manage 1-2 weeks out of a set.

I've used the Atlas grey ones for years now cutting firewood :msp_thumbup:

I cut the wrist band off first thing; I have huge hands and they will not fall off my hands at all the "L" size going on really snug

I have two sets I use and I trade off using them thru out the day cutting wood; I make them damp with sweat

PS: I have only used the same two pairs of gloves all summer; haven't wore either pair out

Last edited:
Well i have had some atlas gloves for years,and never thought about wearing them to cut wood. I wore the same pair 2 days and they still look great.thanks for the tip.The only thing i wonder about is protection of the back of the hand.

I've used the Atlas grey ones for years now cutting firewood :msp_thumbup:

I cut the wrist band off first thing; I have huge hands and they will not fall off my hands at all the "L" size going on really snug

I have two sets I use and I trade off using them thru out the day cutting wood; I make them damp with sweat

PS: I have only used the same two pairs of gloves all summer; haven't wore either pair out

Are these the nitrile coated pair?

Are these the nitrile coated pair?

thermal.jpg

This is the pair I've been wearing - I couldn't tell ya what the coating is on them :msp_biggrin:

Here are the gloves I use daily cutting wood or what ever I do

002-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 254639

I use these Kong Ironclad.I get 2 pair a week whether I need them or not from work.I'm a welder so they don't get used much as fire goes right through them, but they hold up well and dexterity is good.Ain't no telling what they paid for them,though!

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

P. Simon, 1964
Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp