GMC 7500 topkick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 366 1997 GMC topkick chassis for my forrestry unit. Today, with no warning, after a long time of service with no interruption, it failed to start. We worked it all day, did a dump run, parked it, and when we went to move it again, it would crank, but wouldn't fire. Seems like its not getting fuel. I can hear the pump prime when keying the ignition, but no start. Fresh batt. Sprayed eather, it would start then shut down quickly, so it has spark. Am I on the right track with the fuel pump? Thanks in advance.

edit: YES IT HAS GAS IN THE TANK.

Mine did the same thing a while back. It wouldnt start and the fuel pump wasnt coming on so i put a new fuel pump in it. it ran for a little bit then it wouldnt crank, wouldn't have fire. Under the distributor cap is a little control module thingy (not sure what its called) it has wires that plug into it. That little module controls fuel and spark, replace it and it should fix your problem.

Hi, thanks for the response, I'll keep that in mind if I have further trouble. I went back at it today, and got the pump unstuck by rapping the tank with a hammer. I'm taking it to the garage to install a new pump as to not get caught with my pants down later on in the week.

Replace the ECM module its bad , that happened to me at the gas station two yrs ago, there cheap and easy to fix..Never spray that engine with starting fluid it will blown the muffler clean off if it backfires.

Back