Going to attempt a tall tree. Need advise.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddyrc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of a tree I want to drop. It is close to a house and I don't know if I should risk it. I was planning on getting a few guys at the end of a rope but not sure if that will be enough. Let me know your thoughts or how I should go about dropping it.
Thanks for any help.

Pretty tall compared to the house. lol

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

liability insurance paid up ?? rope is a good idear ,anchor it good with a couple house apes [4] proper hinge .. get er done... lotsa clean up good luck

the top leans a bit toward the house but not a lot
get the rope as high as you can
make a good notch and pull it over, 2 good men on your rope should be great plenty near as i can tell
it should go over fairly easy and without a hitch
you have felled trees in the past i hope?

the top leans a bit toward the house but not a lot
get the rope as high as you can
make a good notch and pull it over, 2 good men on your rope should be great plenty near as i can tell
it should go over fairly easy and without a hitch
you have felled trees in the past i hope?

It has a curve at the bottom (about 20 degrees or so) but goes strait up with a little lean towards the house. I figured that the curve at the bottom would be to my benifit. I have dropped many trees but not one that big so close to a house.lol

thats a cakewalk.

Use a rope. Flip your hitch on your truck and use a lark hitch. Cant come lose with three ball upside down.

I would feel better if you put a come a long on it. Not fancy but, You can pick one up around 30 bucks. Seems like you have enough trees to tie it off to. Man power is good but you never know what can happen. If you use a come a long you will have constant pressure on the thing and you don't have to worry about anyone sneezing or answering their cell phones while your making your back cut. As others above have stated, Just make sure you get that rope as high as you can. I've used them before and they work great! Good luck.

Maybe some pics after the drop?:msp_biggrin:

From the pics you don't have many options other than climbing the tree, and working it down from the top. If you have room, a long rope and at least a 1/2ton pick-up truck and a knowlegeable opertator to pull it down as you cut would be the easiest way.

I would rope (a decent bull rope, if you didn't pay more than $100 for 150' it isn't decent) it at 2/3 the height - keep throwing until you can get it up there. Put in a redirect and have someone with a delicate touch on the truck pulling the rope - you want constant pressure on the line.

The problem with humans and come alongs is that they can't maintain pressure as the tree starts to come over - a gust of wind during the first few degrees of travel once the rope is slack can leave you with a serious problem.

I recognize I am paranoid - many of these guys would probably just notch and drop, but I have found that accidents seem to happen less to those of us that are careful enough to be called paranoid.

I would rope (a decent bull rope, if you didn't pay more than $100 for 150' it isn't decent) it at 2/3 the height - keep throwing until you can get it up there. Put in a redirect and have someone with a delicate touch on the truck pulling the rope - you want constant pressure on the line.

The problem with humans and come alongs is that they can't maintain pressure as the tree starts to come over - a gust of wind during the first few degrees of travel once the rope is slack can leave you with a serious problem.

I recognize I am paranoid - many of these guys would probably just notch and drop, but I have found that accidents seem to happen less to those of us that are careful enough to be called paranoid.

Well a truck on it with a redirecting pulley would be the first thing I would do.Because of lean,weight wind factors etc.Now If the man in the truck pulls to hard he can break the top out and it could get dangerous not to scare you but to warn you.Also what diameter rope do you have that is important ?If the rope is strong enough and you and the guy in the truck have eye to eye contact and your cut is made right you should do good.Dont cut it to fast dont let him pull to hard a little at a time is best .If the truck operator goes balls to the wall in FWD low before you cut it you are in trouble!That being said have fun.DYOD this is not telling you what to do just what I would do.

Last edited:
total? 2 5/8 and a 3/4 once
i just pulled a massive oak over, heavy lean and all limbs on the opposite side of the way i wanted it to go with a true blue
i used a redirect and had a guy on a mini with instructions not to stall the machine and to dig the forks in if he couldnt pull it
i knew he wouldnt, so i put the truck to the mini myself after i made the cuts and gave it an assist
i love true blues, but i would have felt better if we had a heavier rope along
it went perfectly tho, dead on where i wanted it
ive heard people say true blues are junk but they dont break, ive personally broken 2 blue streaks on stuff i know a true blue would have held and blue streaks are rated heavier

total? 2 5/8 and a 3/4 once
i just pulled a massive oak over, heavy lean and all limbs on the opposite side of the way i wanted it to go with a true blue
i used a redirect and had a guy on a mini with instructions not to stall the machine and to dig the forks in if he couldnt pull it
i knew he wouldnt, so i put the truck to the mini myself after i made the cuts and gave it an assist
i love true blues, but i would have felt better if we had a heavier rope along
it went perfectly tho, dead on where i wanted it
ive heard people say true blues are junk but they dont break, ive personally broken 2 blue streaks on stuff i know a true blue would have held and blue streaks are rated heavier

If I pull with my big truck I use 1 inch I have broken smaller 3/4 and 1/2 to many times in the past and wont pull with a truck without the big rope.I guess it broke at the knot ?I use a Bowline on a bight with a Clevis hook connected at the truck.

ive seen people break ropes with trucks, people i would not have thought to be idiots

Like the guy who's car was total'd when he asked a young lady to give him a push start. Told her she needed to get up to at least 25mph to start it. "Okay" she replied as she jumped into her car, backed up and came at him at a high rate of speed.:msp_w00t:

I would call a climber in to bring it down in pieces just because I lack experience to safely take down a tree that size and not the house with it. :msp_biggrin:

Like the guy who's car was total'd when he asked a young lady to give him a push start. Told her she needed to get up to at least 25mph to start it. "Okay" she replied as she jumped into her car, backed up and came at him at a high rate of speed.:msp_w00t:

Yup something like that like when I told my helper to pull the tree over with my 74 Dodge power Wagon and he put it in low range socked the juice to it ripped the tree in half into a huge splinter and fell next to me!:msp_w00t::msp_w00t::msp_w00t:

Yup something like that like when I told my helper to pull the tree over with my 74 Dodge power Wagon and he put it in low range socked the juice to it ripped the tree in half into a huge splinter and fell next to me!:msp_w00t::msp_w00t::msp_w00t:

mmmm..... power wagon

also, as a climber, and looking at the pictures, i would pull it over, faster, easier and ultimately, less risk

Latest posts

Back