Going to attempt a tall tree. Need advise.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most times when I used a vehicle the pretension was adequate so it other words I pull it tight then apply brake set park brake then put in park or in low if standard.
That is usually enough, so I actually used as anchor but also as pretension! I have took near 100000 trees down in this way with no failures. I now have a winch that I use similar, cable set at 25 foot and notch then pull til top shakes and kill truck winch in gear. Most times no more pull is needed but if the tree is not lifting at 1 inch meat in hinge I simply shut of saw and motion for more pull and no wedges required:)

Only a fool pulls anything with a truck and a rope. Just like a fool would trust a parking brake or low gear, and not chock the tires. Also if a man works every day for fourty years he would have to cut down 6.8 trees a day to have cut down 100,000 trees, so please don't try and fool me into thinking its ok to pull a tree over with a rope.

I will admit that a winch and cable is the best way to pull anything over. and if the lean was that sever I would even chain the truck to another tree.

I'm with the come along guy. To much bad stuff happens when you pull with a truck. If you need the speed of a truck to steer a tree once it starts falling maybe you should put the chainsaw away. On the top shelf at the back. Where you forget it's there.

honestly you guys are making this WAY harder than it really is ......

with all this talk wouldnt suprise me if he got too damn nervous

Most times when I used a vehicle the pretension was adequate so it other words I pull it tight then apply brake set park brake then put in park or in low if standard.
That is usually enough, so I actually used as anchor but also as pretension! I have took near 100000 trees down in this way with no failures. I now have a winch that I use similar, cable set at 25 foot and notch then pull til top shakes and kill truck winch in gear. Most times no more pull is needed but if the tree is not lifting at 1 inch meat in hinge I simply shut of saw and motion for more pull and no wedges required:)

Hey Rope what size rope you using?

Update: it is not down yet but I will be doing it next week. I really thank everyone from all the good info. If I remember I will take video of it when I drop it. I see everyone has mixed feelings on the subject..............Thanks again.

Only a fool pulls anything with a truck and a rope. Just like a fool would trust a parking brake or low gear, and not chock the tires. Also if a man works every day for fourty years he would have to cut down 6.8 trees a day to have cut down 100,000 trees, so please don't try and fool me into thinking its ok to pull a tree over with a rope.

I will admit that a winch and cable is the best way to pull anything over. and if the lean was that sever I would even chain the truck to another tree.

Omg my man I cut new rows for 20 years try 150 plus trees per day. Lol why would I chain my truck, you think its going to skid me? Millbil really bro I'm not trying to get into a pissin match but its foolish to not use a truck in many instances. Tell you what, you keep dragging out the come a long pard maybe buy yourself at least a madson rope puller or fiddle blocks. I can and still do pull trees over with a truck when my bucket is not onsite or skid steer because I have the experience to get the job done. Btw hurry up and run outside you forgot to wheel chock your pick-up :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Don't pull the tree over, just lean on it a bit. With the rope 2/3 the way up tree. If saw is binding in your notch the rope is too tight, have driver ease off slightly. Just have wedges handy and remember never to cut all the way thru on the backcut. Dump this tree and show us.

Don't pull the tree over, just lean on it a bit. With the rope 2/3 the way up tree. If saw is binding in your notch the rope is too tight, have driver ease off slightly. Just have wedges handy and remember never to cut all the way thru on the backcut. Dump this tree and show us.

I want to know what happened to the thing. Is it still standing?

Going to attemp a Tall tree. need advise

Omg my man I cut new rows for 20 years try 150 plus trees per day. Lol why would I chain my truck, you think its going to skid me? Millbil really bro I'm not trying to get into a pissin match but its foolish to not use a truck in many instances. Tell you what, you keep dragging out the come a long pard maybe buy yourself at least a madson rope puller or fiddle blocks. I can and still do pull trees over with a truck when my bucket is not onsite or skid steer because I have the experience to get the job done. Btw hurry up and run outside you forgot to wheel chock your pick-up :hmm3grin2orange:

Don't worry ropensaddle we'll just keep using our trucks by the way God I love the "Danny the Dummy behind the wheel" I have met him not the one to be in any Truck pulling!

Latest posts

Back