Golf piston failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLCM

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I learned a valuable lesson today about buying cheap parts, i.e Golf pistons. I've run about 8 tanks of fuel through the saw with the new piston and no problems so far. I was cutting up a dead oak for firewood, shut off my 036 Pro to refuel and sharpen the chain. Sure enough when I tried to restart the saw it was locked up tight.

I did a quick tear down on the tailgate of the truck and found that the wrist pin managed to work its way past the circlips and got stuck in the transfer. Some how the cylinder did not seem to get damaged except for a small nick in the top of the transfer port. I'll post a pic and let you all tell me if you think the cylinder is reusable.

It looks like the groove that the wrist pin clip rides in was cut too deep preventing the clip from being able to hold the pin in place. Is this common with Golf pistons or did I just happen to get the piece of junk of the run? I was trying to avoid buying a Stihl piston but it's looking like that's the route I’ll have to take.

your saying the pin slipped past with the clip still in?

It looks like the groove that the wrist pin clip rides in was cut too deep preventing the clip from being able to hold the pin in place. Is this common with Golf pistons or did I just happen to get the piece of junk of the run? I was trying to avoid buying a Stihl piston but it's looking like that's the route I’ll have to take.

Lake mentioned only a few days ago that he'd observed the same problem on a golf piston. I have a golf piston waiting on my bench to be installed in a husky 61. I'll have a close look on those clips ....:confused:

..and I wasn't the first. The grooves are too deep, even for OEM clips. This little "feature" makes them JUNK... IMHO...

I seem to remember Baileys having a similar problem with some of their pistons, and they supplied new thicker clips. I wonder if Baileys and golf use the same supplier for some pistions?

Last edited:
The shape of the end of pin makes a difference too in whether it wants to over ride the clip ideally the clip should be exactly half in and half out of the groove to have the maximum bearing on both the piston and the pin. I would look at some of the clips that get installed with internal snap ring pliers if the groove is a bit deep. An aftermarket item can be well made or sometimes they miss the subtle importance of some of the dimensions.

your saying the pin slipped past with the clip still in?

That's exactly what happened.

The groove is so deep the clip just spins inside. I can slide it around with my finger.

Here is a pic of the piston. It's hard to tell but the wrist pin clip is fully seated in the groove and there is nothing to keep the pin in place.

Perhaps this is why the eared clips that come with these can break. The ear would be the only part of the clip retaining the wrist pin in a case like this. I've got a brand new this week 045/056 54mm piston in the garage. I think I'll go take a look at it.

Interesting...I am in the market for a couple of pistons, for a 026 and a 024. I have been debating over Golf, Baileys and Meteor from ebay or amicks(don't have 024 listed). Looks like golf is off the board now though.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what would you guys go with for an aftermarket piston? I don't need to be reminded about oem.:) :)

Here's the cylinder. What are your thoughts on the nick and the rest. It had 145 psi before the clip let go.

Ya, I have read that too, but Amicks doesn't carry an 024 piston, anybody try the guy on ebay from greece with meteor?

Second, how are the baileys pistons? In terms of craftsmans ship and performance.

Ya, I have read that too, but Amicks doesn't carry an 024 piston, anybody try the guy on ebay from greece with meteor?

Second, how are the baileys pistons? In terms of craftsmans ship and performance.

Read your post and thought that I should tell you what I told Brad a while back, the fellow from Greece (Dandrikopf) does not know squat about what he is selling and advertises Meteor pistons but has a little clause in fine print that allows him to substitute any other Quality piston for the one you order.Its a legal way of bait and switch and I have first hand experience with him. He also claims that the Stihl MS 440 uses a piston with a 10 mm pin because his supplier says so and that you can`t fault him because his supplier would be the one at fault,not him. However if you are willing to loose the shipping costs both ways he will refund the cost of the piston only.Not a good way to do business. IMO.
Pioneerguy600

Interesting...I am in the market for a couple of pistons, for a 026 and a 024. I have been debating over Golf, Baileys and Meteor from ebay or amicks(don't have 024 listed). Looks like golf is off the board now though.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what would you guys go with for an aftermarket piston? I don't need to be reminded about oem.:) :)

Cheapstihlsawparts has a few hundred 026 OEM pistons... way cheaper than Stihl.

There was a guy on ebay selling OEM 034S/036 pistons with rings , if I remember correctly they were $45. They didn't come with pins/clips, but for $45 dollars it's only about the price of stihl rings at a dealer.

He had ca. 10 available a few moths ago, not sure if any are left.

For that price I brought two to have for spares when my 036 gets tried. I've since got another freebee 036 with bad piston that I'll have running for $45 plus a gasket set ($15).

Back