gone to the beech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it's just the camera angle, but it sure looks like the tip of the bar is awful close to the other log in that first picture.

Great shots Woodfarmer and yes it's a beautiful day.The budding on the trees look alot less than we have ,usually Oshawa area is a week ahead of Kingston.I own a 2071 and a 2159 and like them both.Nice to see another Jred guy:clap:

View attachment 33491

Nice pics......woodf!

Like the saw too!

I'll try and attach a pic. here of some tornado clean up work I have in process. The log is a white ash, approx. 36" dia., saw is a Johhny red 2095 Turbo with a small 24" bar..............like going through butter! hehe.
Oh, we're almost neighbours, I'm near Kitchener.

woodfarmer said:
there's more than one gypo north of the 49th that goes to the beech on occasion. beautiful day for cutting with jonny 2171 and 24" bar, through 18-20" beech.

Sorry Woodfarmer, as far as I'm concerned, there is only one Gypo.
No one else comes close

beech

does he have to use the decomp. button?
about half of my wood this year is from cleaning up beech, it sure is nice burning and cutting when it is green. Its a beech:) when it is frozen.

Yip

rb_in_va said:
I'm sure it's just the camera angle, but it sure looks like the tip of the bar is awful close to the other log in that first picture.

That's how we do things up north dude, if we could cut 3 at a time we would... :rock: :jester: Actually for firewood comparison in btu's Beech turns out more heat than Oak. Beech is my most favoriteist wood ever. I get all I can. Just brought a truckload home yesterday matter of fact...

b1rdman

no i don't split by hand any more, bought a wallenstein splitter a few years ago. i'd rather spend more time in the bush cutting than splitting with a maul.
cisco- your right beech is by far a better firewood, i sell the maple, keep the beech for myself. alot of ours are dying, there must be some sort of blight. i only need 3 or 4 trees a year for firewood, but there are usually 10-12 dying per year.

Odd

woodfarmer said:
no i don't split by hand any more, bought a wallenstein splitter a few years ago. i'd rather spend more time in the bush cutting than splitting with a maul.
cisco- your right beech is by far a better firewood, i sell the maple, keep the beech for myself. alot of ours are dying, there must be some sort of blight. i only need 3 or 4 trees a year for firewood, but there are usually 10-12 dying per year.

Same kinda thing here actually. I've been all over a few thousand acres this year and have yet to cut a live tree, there's enough dead. Seems out of the ordinary too. The size ranges from say 12" to as big as 30" or so. I keep all the Beech I get also and will sell anything else, or give it away mostly. I am a beech theft, lol...:popcorn: :rock:

Last edited:
Ditto on the Beech, had one partially dead fall in the road on the way into camp (near Mt Katahdin). Must be something going around. They are fun to buck up, lots of firewood, from tip to toe.
Ed

The beech around these parts have been diseased for a lot of years. 30 -40?

They do take a long time to actually die. Beech should have a smooth bark. Around here the bark is somewhat rough, due to the blotches, (got a better word?), caused by this disease, which, I used to know what it was, but now I can't remember, I guess, because I forgot...

I have noticed that it is about the same around the West Branch, and Kat. also.

Back