Gonna build a firewood lean-to

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just bought four cords of fresh cut Maple, Cherry, and Red Oak in log length from a local land owner.
He will deliver about a cord or two on a car trailer tomorrow.
I'm not sure how much he can get on it though. He thinks he can get three cords on it, but I'm skeptical of that.
I sold him an old car for it so no cash actually changed hands. Its nice to barter and trade.
I will be building a post style, metal roof lean-to over the stacks along my property lines.
I'll post pics as it comes.

Yeah, I don't see three cord fitting on a typical car trailer either.

What was the car you traded?

It was a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with 4" Skyjacker lift. Hadn't been driven for 2 years with 500,000km on it, but second engine has 230,000km on it.
lots of good parts still though. The Chrysler 8.25 rear end and the transfer case and tranny are in great shape. Body is rough.
Deal was for 4 cords of wood and $100 cash.

Here's something like I'm thinking of building....mine would be no higher than 8 feet and I would probably build three or four along the perimeter of the property somewhere.
I'd build it so I can fit 2 4'x4' pallets easily in each bay and i'd put landscape fabric then crushed limestone for the base and use post spikes and blocks for the footings maybe.
Something cheap and easy to move if need be.

0bd3367899359245950ea7c8fd220ba4.jpg

Here's something like I'm thinking of building....mine would be no higher than 8 feet and I would probably build three or four along the perimeter of the property somewhere.
I'd build it so I can fit 2 4'x4' pallets easily in each bay and i'd put landscape fabric then crushed limestone for the base and use post spikes and blocks for the footings maybe.

View attachment 580708

I like that. Throw some stone down for drainage and to keep the pallets from rotting and your good to go

Gonna build it on or near the spot where I have my stacks now.
It's basically just a roof to keep the rain/snow off the stacks.
Our local TimBrMart has a 15% off sale on all pressure treated lumber so I'll pop over on my day off on Tuesday and get what I need.
I do have lots of 12' pressure treated fence boards that were given to me.
I may loosely strap the back of lean-to with them for a bit of privacy from neighbour.

IMG_20170422_164030.jpg

I also have a good spot to build a lean-to on the south facing side of the house.
It gets all the sun and lots of breeze there, but I'm not so sure if the wife will approve of this spot.
I may have to show her the nice neat stacks of the first build and see if she gets on board for this spot later.
Brown rectangle is for stack area and blue square is for future rainwater barrel.

South Side House.jpg

View attachment 580708

I'd use plastic or vapor barrier under wood instead of landscape fabric.

I'll be putting the crushed limestone pea gravel over the fabric and want the water to run through it and not sit on top of the plastic and stay wet.
Then the wood pallets will sit on the crushed limestone and firewood on them.
The crushed limestone has great drainage properties to keep the pallets underneath dry too.
That way I get full drainage under the wood, plus covered tops and open to air and sun around.

Back