Gonna get a mini

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again sorry about the poor pictures they where sent to me by a cell phone this was around 2pm today i stopped down to make a few extra bucks lifting ac units. but it gives you the idea of how i can run a ball down like a standard stick crane. i didn't take the time to put the ball on just used a regular hook with a single part line but the units where light maybe 1k. We have gotten a little bit known for being able to get in weird spots for this to do ac units and i charge a flat rate of 400.00 which has seemed to got everyone calling me to do it now because of other companies wanting a lot more. I've never been on site for more than 45 minutes, they hook the rigging up I must pickup and go. They seem to love the idea of a flat rate knowing that 400 is it no more no less vs standard crane if it took a little longer well you get the idea.

securedownload_zps7871728d.jpg

securedownload-4_zps5578f2d3.jpg

securedownload-3_zpsc682bd09.jpg

securedownload-2_zpsbe26c5ef.jpg

securedownload-1_zps85521866.jpg

Last edited:
in conclusion right now bandit is the only thing i would touch. Morbark has some design issues that need addressed, woodsman is just to far away with poor dealer support for our area, and vermeer i feel your really not getting your money worth as if you put the same money in a bandit or morbark. you get a lot more machine.

I would agree with that. I AM glad I went with the 1590 xp back in '07.. Demo'ed morbark, woodsman and conehead.. Bought the bandit and she's a work horse... I definitely want the grapple on the next chipper. We usually chip in the street anyhow.. I AM actually thinking the grapple could be used to chip in staged piles from a second or third crew.. Load the brush and wood in a dump ster/truck with a loader, stage at the yard and once every week or two blow the piles into chips... Oh ya.. we also demo'd vermeer.. complete junk, totally underpowered as you mentioned..
An old buddy used to work with a big bandit / grapple.. said they'd slam a tree in the street, grab it with the grapple and chip the whole thing, clean up and be on the road 15 minutes and $800 later.. Sounds like a good time to me!

Access my be a bigger concern for you than me, but i owned a vermeer mini and now own a swinger model 2000 with a bypass rotating graple. for my area i have the ultimate setup with a 18x woodsman, ground work is practicaly gone. I can drag entire trees, lift 3,000lb logs, lift 10ft high, clean stumps in three scoops, and go anywere anytime with turf tires. I truly can't get why there not more popular. Greatest business upgrade i have ever made. Yes it is bigger but i leave it behind my bucket EVERYWERE i go. Just to darn good! Just my experience.

Last edited:
I would agree with that. I AM glad I went with the 1590 xp back in '07.. Demo'ed morbark, woodsman and conehead.. Bought the bandit and she's a work horse... I definitely want the grapple on the next chipper. We usually chip in the street anyhow.. I AM actually thinking the grapple could be used to chip in staged piles from a second or third crew.. Load the brush and wood in a dump ster/truck with a loader, stage at the yard and once every week or two blow the piles into chips... Oh ya.. we also demo'd vermeer.. complete junk, totally underpowered as you mentioned..
An old buddy used to work with a big bandit / grapple.. said they'd slam a tree in the street, grab it with the grapple and chip the whole thing, clean up and be on the road 15 minutes and $800 later.. Sounds like a good time to me!

What your buddy did is exactly why i run the stuff i do. The only thing man power is needed for after the tree is down is raking at this point. The only reason we didnt do the grapple on our chippers is the kboom can reach so far and the capacity is a lot higher.

Murph the only downfall i see you having with a loader on the chipper is that i know they are all over CDL with the weight added. A 1990 with loader is around 15k the money added is worth it and i do exactly what you said. i rarely even chip pine trees, just stick them in the back of the truck in a lot of cases so i don't have to try and maneuver the truck and chipper due to how big it is with a 1990 sticking off the back of it. i simply chip it when i get back. if you put all the limbs in first the logs really smash it down and i have put 2 medium sized pines in my truck by squishing them in. when i dump it usually stays together in a rectangular shape. without a skid loader it would be a nightmare to get apart.

Last edited:
"murf" it is a new term in arboriculture, first coined by treeslayer, dave B, meaning "dropping a big tree in a such tight DZ that it makes people think you're crazy"...

Unfortunately it doesn't apply to you dan, because people ALREADY think you're crazy!

"murf" it is a new term in arboriculture, first coined by treeslayer, dave B, meaning "dropping a big tree in a such tight DZ that it makes people think you're crazy"...

Unfortunately it doesn't apply to you dan, because people ALREADY think you're crazy!

We have adopted this term. Usually at the end of the day I tell the guys to murph the trunk. Or go murph that tree, at first they where lost until one day at lunch I showed them the video on my iPhone. Now it has caught on pretty well.

Actually turned into a half decent thread instead of all of us trying to decide who's right and who is wrong.

Been a while since advise has been able to be exchanged without fighting. Your alright in my book murph. Been kind of nice reading stuff and not getting pissed off.

Ya got to go for it. Ditch witch is looking like it so far. Gonna try a Vermeer 800tx see how it does. I gotta get a diesel one so it helps narrow it down

I bought a brand new ditch witch in May when the special was going on ($19,500) and I absolutely love it. It is a sweet machine and if you buy one you will not be disappointed.

Bought a ditch witch sk 650 few months set it up with a couple ryan's equipment grapples. Couldn't be happier with it. Just bought a second one this week take delivery Monday. Dan at jesco has been great.
Matt. Have you tried a 790? Bandit makes a nice machine but their grapple design is awful and it still is not as aggressive at breaking crotches. We just ordered another 790 should be here in month or so. It will do things no other chipper will do (besides tractor trailer pulled units).
It would be worth the trip to boston just to see it work.
We just had morbark bring out the newest design of their m20r 325hp grapple chipper. We played with it for an hour, then showed them one piece go thru the 790. They left embarrassed and apologetic.

Bought a ditch witch sk 650 few months set it up with a couple ryan's equipment grapples. Couldn't be happier with it. Just bought a second one this week take delivery Monday. Dan at jesco has been great.
Matt. Have you tried a 790? Bandit makes a nice machine but their grapple design is awful and it still is not as aggressive at breaking crotches. We just ordered another 790 should be here in month or so. It will do things no other chipper will do (besides tractor trailer pulled units).
It would be worth the trip to boston just to see it work.
We just had morbark bring out the newest design of their m20r 325hp grapple chipper. We played with it for an hour, then showed them one piece go thru the 790. They left embarrassed and apologetic.

Have never tried it and I know it's a wicked machine. Just went with the 1990 due to dealer support being close. Woodsman is just to far to do business with. When we have a problem with one of our bandits bandit of Ohio comes and gets it then brings it back for no extra cost leaving us a machine to use during downtime. If woodsman was closer I would absolutely give it a whirl but until they get closer the 1990 will have to do.

They seem to be not 100% down on there design which alarms me a little. All the machines are different from year to year. We got 275hp coming in the 1990 so it should have some gitty up

Have never tried it and I know it's a wicked machine. Just went with the 1990 due to dealer support being close. Woodsman is just to far to do business with. When we have a problem with one of our bandits bandit of Ohio comes and gets it then brings it back for no extra cost leaving us a machine to use during downtime. If woodsman was closer I would absolutely give it a whirl but until they get closer the 1990 will have to do.

They seem to be not 100% down on there design which alarms me a little. All the machines are different from year to year. We got 275hp coming in the 1990 so it should have some gitty up

Two buckets are gonna get replaced in a year or so and I'm gonna do altec this time. I'll give that guy you talked about a call.

Welp the ditch witch is it less than 20g's new is the best deal for quality i can find. Guys are trying to sell 08's and 09's on machinery trader for more than they are going for new right now.

Actually turned into a half decent thread instead of all of us trying to decide who's right and who is wrong.

Been a while since advise has been able to be exchanged without fighting. Your alright in my book murph. Been kind of nice reading stuff and not getting pissed off.

Well that is all nice and swell BUT I was the one who coined the phrase " murph it" and anybody who says different is a liar.

Back