Gonna get me a Tractor!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IH 1026

63690d1201318839-1026-tractor-jpg

IH 856

63688d1201318820-856-tractor-resized-jpg

Nice IH tractors there. I would think the 1026 would make an ideal loader tractor with the hydro. On the down side I have heard hydros are very costly to fix.

slow .. I looked at another IH the other day I was sold until I found out it a single stage clutch.. Talked to my grandfather, he offered to sell me his 85 Case Backhoe for $10k.. very tempting but out of my budget.

Are they really that few and far between up there? You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a tractor for sale... Or is it just finding one in the "under 5000 price range"? That's a bit tougher... What happened with the one you found with the homemade cab and snow blower?

Are they really that few and far between up there? You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a tractor for sale... Or is it just finding one in the "under 5000 price range"? That's a bit tougher... What happened with the one you found with the homemade cab and snow blower?

we're not a really heavily populated area. There's tractors for sale but I'm not in huge hurry, I want to find the right tractor for what I need. My budget is $7K there lots of tractors out there for that price. The fact that I'm looking for 1 with a loader and closer to home is narrowing my options.

the one with the home built cab was good but the loader arms were narrowed at some point in time for some reason and it was only a single stage clutch.

we're not a really heavily populated area. There's tractors for sale but I'm not in huge hurry, I want to find the right tractor for what I need. My budget is $7K there lots of tractors out there for that price. The fact that I'm looking for 1 with a loader and closer to home is narrowing my options.

the one with the home built cab was good but the loader arms were narrowed at some point in time for some reason and it was only a single stage clutch.

Too bad... That seemed like a good price. Don't know what a snow blower is worth, but I sure could have used one last year!!!:msp_biggrin:

I just got my 2011 9th edition of 'FASTLINE.COM'. It is stuffed full of tractors. Example: I'm looking at an AC D17 w/Loader. 52hp, Frt. Pump for $6,900. It's located in Winfield, KS at SCHMIDT & SONS.
Finding one locally may take awhile. Most in this book are fairly new with cabs.
Back in July, a man came on the ranch to custom bale my hay. One of his tractors is a brand new KUBOTA 70hp with roll-bar canapy 4wheel drive and front and rear end mounted hay stingers. I've always be skeptical of those tractors till he let me get behind the wheel of that one. After showing me the basics of starting and shifting, he turned me loose on it to fetch 132 large round bales scattered over 90 acres and place them in a staging area where he could load and haul them away. Once I got the hang of it all I can say is "SWEET".

Just a reminder, before you buy that big shiny new tractor be sure you have a valid CDL.:alien2:
http://www.gazettevirginian.com/ind...oposed-rule-on-farms-called-absurd?format=pdf

Proposed rule on farms called ‘absurd’
Written by Sonny Riddle
12:00 am 08/12/11 -
A new rule being proposed by the federal Department of Transportation would require farmers
to get commercial drivers licenses.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, which is a part of DOT, wants to adopt
standards that would reclassify all farm vehicles and implements as Commercial Motor
Vehicles, officials said. Likewise, the proposal, if adopted, would require all farmers and
everyone on the farm who operates any of the equipment to obtain a CDL, they added.
The proposed rule change would mean that anyone who drives a tractor or operates any piece
of motorized farming equipment would be required to pass the same tests and complete the
same detailed forms and logs required of semi-tractor trailer drivers.
Drivers would keep logs of information including hours worked and miles traveled. Vehicles
would be required to display DOT numbers. A CDL in Virginia costs $64 for eight years, or $8
per year, not including the cost of an instructional class and the written test.
If the DOT reclassifies farm vehicles and implements as commercial vehicles, the federal
government will have regulatory control over the nation’s farm workers, estimated at over
800,000, by requiring them to have commercial drivers licenses.
That possibility worries county farmers and others in Halifax County interested in agriculture.
“I have a CDL, but very few farmers have one,” said Nathalie farmer Ronnie Waller. “This is just
another bureaucratic hurdle for the farmer.
“It’s hard enough fighting Mother Nature, insects and all…now we have to fight the federal
1 / 3
Written by Sonny Riddle
government,” he added. “We’re getting more rammed down our throats, and I could see
repercussions across the nation. This move is another inane gesture in my opinion,” Waller
concluded.
Bruce Pearce, Halifax County Soil and Water Conservation district manager, agrees with
Waller.
“It’s absurd, we’re being regulated out of business,” Pearce said. “I can see where you need to
take precautions if you take these things on the interstate.”
Pearce said driving a tractor on a road is not like driving a semi-tractor trailer on the highway.
“If it passes, there will be a lot of citations written,” he said. “It’ll create a financial burden on the
farmer.
“Many farm workers are migrant workers, and they don’t have drivers licenses,” he said.
“If this thing passes, it would be detrimental to the agriculture business,” said Jason Fisher,
Halifax County Extension agent for Forestry and Natural Resources. “They’re going to get a
bigger fight from other places.
“It would be stifling to agriculture,” he said. “For the producers here, we’re looking to do things to
help them maintain their farms. CDLs would mean additional costs to the farmers.”
Scott Crowder, Halifax County Farm Bureau president, agrees with Fisher.
“I think it’s absurd,” he said. “It’s just more federal bureaucracy and another infringement on
small business.”
2 / 3
Written by Sonny Riddle
Crowder said farm tractors and other machinery on county roads is a common sight in most
rural areas.
“When you live in a rural community seeing farm equipment on the road is just something that’s
a part of life,” he said. “If this thing passes, it will create more strain on small business, and
that’s what farmers are. It will affect their bottom line. Call your congressman and senators,” he
concluded.

Last edited:
No way the DOT would do that, I don't know any farmers around here that have a CDL, except the folks that also drive commercial, but I'm guessing every congressman or senator in the midwest would get voted out of office if this ever passed!

Well I did it... I found one, went and looked at it twice and pulled the trigger.

It was a little over my budget and didn't come with a loader but I think it'll be dependable and a good work horse.

Here she is.. it's a beauty

tramr.jpg

Looks like a old AC

Ya

Just a reminder, before you buy that big shiny new tractor be sure you have a valid CDL.:alien2:
http://www.gazettevirginian.com/ind...oposed-rule-on-farms-called-absurd?format=pdf

Written by Sonny Riddle
A new rule being proposed by the federal Department of Transportation would require farmers
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, which is a part of DOT, wants to adopt
standards that would reclassify all farm vehicles and implements as Commercial Motor
Vehicles, officials said. Likewise, the proposal, if adopted, would require all farmers and
everyone on the farm who operates any of the equipment to obtain a CDL, they added.
The proposed rule change would mean that anyone who drives a tractor or operates any piece
of motorized farming equipment would be required to pass the same tests and complete the
same detailed forms and logs required of semi-tractor trailer drivers.
Drivers would keep logs of information including hours worked and miles traveled. Vehicles
would be required to display DOT numbers. A CDL in Virginia costs $64 for eight years, or $8
per year, not including the cost of an instructional class and the written test.
If the DOT reclassifies farm vehicles and implements as commercial vehicles, the federal
government will have regulatory control over the nation’s farm workers, estimated at over
800,000, by requiring them to have commercial drivers licenses.
That possibility worries county farmers and others in Halifax County interested in agriculture.
“I have a CDL, but very few farmers have one,” said Nathalie farmer Ronnie Waller. “This is just
another bureaucratic hurdle for the farmer.
“It’s hard enough fighting Mother Nature, insects and all…now we have to fight the federal
1 / 3
Written by Sonny Riddle
government,” he added. “We’re getting more rammed down our throats, and I could see
repercussions across the nation. This move is another inane gesture in my opinion,” Waller
concluded.
Bruce Pearce, Halifax County Soil and Water Conservation district manager, agrees with
Waller.
“It’s absurd, we’re being regulated out of business,” Pearce said. “I can see where you need to
take precautions if you take these things on the interstate.”
Pearce said driving a tractor on a road is not like driving a semi-tractor trailer on the highway.
“If it passes, there will be a lot of citations written,” he said. “It’ll create a financial burden on the
farmer.
“Many farm workers are migrant workers, and they don’t have drivers licenses,” he said.
“If this thing passes, it would be detrimental to the agriculture business,” said Jason Fisher,
Halifax County Extension agent for Forestry and Natural Resources. “They’re going to get a
bigger fight from other places.
“It would be stifling to agriculture,” he said. “For the producers here, we’re looking to do things to
help them maintain their farms. CDLs would mean additional costs to the farmers.”
Scott Crowder, Halifax County Farm Bureau president, agrees with Fisher.
“I think it’s absurd,” he said. “It’s just more federal bureaucracy and another infringement on
small business.”
2 / 3
Written by Sonny Riddle
Crowder said farm tractors and other machinery on county roads is a common sight in most
rural areas.
“When you live in a rural community seeing farm equipment on the road is just something that’s
a part of life,” he said. “If this thing passes, it will create more strain on small business, and
that’s what farmers are. It will affect their bottom line. Call your congressman and senators,” he
concluded.

I heard about this a couple weeks back and was talking to my boss about it. He's one of the oldest big farmers around here and was already aware of it. He doesn't think it will ever come to pass.

BUT...the government is going for broke to increase revenues, plus control over their peons, plus HUGE agribiz do not like smaller farmers. They want a handful of big companies to control the entire vertical food production stack. They want all the mom and pops and little farmers gone, want to take the land, and make it so only the most well connected can farm. It's an outright attack on yet another aspect of "the middle class". They only want two classes, just a return to the old ways.

I noted this some years ago, the attacks on the middle class from every direction possible, and coined a term for it I used in my writings, "technofeudalism".

That proposal will never happen!
In many states the farm tractor has the right-of-way when traveling on roads. Twenty mph is max speed for these big machines.
What's more, many farm children are knowledgeable of tractor operation and help move equipment from field to field.

slow .. I looked at another IH the other day I was sold until I found out it a single stage clutch.. Talked to my grandfather, he offered to sell me his 85 Case Backhoe for $10k.. very tempting but out of my budget.

1965 vs 1985
Old farm tractor with weak loader vs the loader on the Case
Pto and 3pt vs real backhoe
How it was used and abused by someone vs How it was used and abused by someone you know
Parts availability vs Parts availability
Things to weigh out but if it were me I'd be negotiating a payment plan on what I couldn't come up with and would be driving a Case .

Last edited:

Written by Sonny Riddle

EDITED FOR SPACE

Not happening. FMCSA just in the last couple of days decided (after every company and business group involved in ag lobbied hard against it) that there would be no changes to the CDL rules regarding farm equipment, or even changing any of the current exemptions farmers have to use commercial vehicles to transport crops from field to market.

Read more here if you're interested: https://www.farmanddairy.com/news/u...ulations-for-american-ag-community/28141.html

1965 vs 1985
Old farm tractor with weak loader vs the loader on the Case
Pto and 3pt vs real backhoe
How it was used and abused by someone vs How it was used and abused by someone you know
Parts availability vs Parts availability
Things to weigh out but if it were me I'd be negotiating a payment plan on what I couldn't come up with and would be driving a Case .

I would agree with you except for one thing, is it a true TLB or a tractor with loader and backhoe attachment. If it is the first he then won't be able to use any 3 pt attachments. It also will more than likely be way to heavy to move around with anything other than a truck bigger than a 1 ton. I am basing this off of Case's most popular backhoe the 5xx series, alot of them were 15k lbs and up fully setup.

I definitely wouldn't buy something with a single stage clutch no matter what though if you are using PTO implements.

Back