Good Book on Two-Strokes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsheb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Two-Stroke Engine Repair & Maintenance, by Paul Dempsey.

I got a few weeks ago just to get more familiar the workings of 2-strokes. The author, a master mechanic, has written a bunch of other books on the subject. It's surprisingly well-written and makes everything very clear, with lots of illustrations provided by the big saw-makers (Stihl, etc). If I ever teach an intro to engineering course again, I may include this for illustrating major concepts (combustion, heat transfer, machine design, electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, etc.) in a real-world application.

For anyone looking for a good book just to get a better understanding of that little motor driving their saw, this is a good one!

It's out there...

Downloaded from the torrents in about 30 seconds...
Looks good.

Having read it cover to cover, I noticed a couple of question areas:

Author says smaller machines are harder to cool, in spite of their larger ratio of surface area to volume.

Author says gas to oil mix is determined by mfg. period. No matter the enormous evolution of oil quality.

Last edited:
Having read it cover to cover, I noticed a couple of question areas:

Author says smaller machines are harder to cool, in spite of their larger ratio of surface area to volume.

Author says gas to oil mix is determined by mfg. period. No matter the enormous evolution of oil quality.

I noticed that first one too...seems to go contrary to basic heat transfer. 2nd one, I didn't notice, but it does still seem a little silly. Not necessarily gospel in every way, but still a good book.

Latest posts

Back