Good day.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downhanddave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I am new around here and have been a lurker for a long long time thought I would introduce myself. My name is Dave. I am a pipeline welder from southwest ok. I also run a firewood business. Well I do the work my wife runs it lol. Anyway had a good day today. Have a few days off and got to load and split alittle wood. Did 6 trailers like this today just forgot to take pictures of them all. All seasons oak some post oak some black oak even one live oak. All where fixing to b pushed by a dozer for a new road so I went and helped myself.
mezutysu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have worked hard on my relationship with the county workers to call me before dozing trees around. I have learned a well placed face cord of wood by the smoker behind their shop gets me all the calls I need! Lol last year I cut 40 cords of wood from trees that they were gonna dozed for road construction. Helps pay the bills

I have worked hard on my relationship with the county workers to call me before dozing trees around. I have learned a well placed face cord of wood by the smoker behind their shop gets me all the calls I need! Lol last year I cut 40 cords of wood from trees that they were gonna dozed for road construction. Helps pay the bills

that's the way to do it!

Ha! I'd know I'd be sliding by and delivering that smoker wood *just* around the time it was getting used...just sayin'....

Worked for a little township in the summers before (long time ago now..), mowing and tree trimming and clearing roads after storms. Not a stick was wasted, we cut and gave away every (decent) chunk. Just couldn't see wasting good firewood in burn piles. Just about every day the town truck was loaded up and we'd drop it off someplace, word got around, some went to our old hipster buds, some to geezers, some to..who knows. We just spread it out, everyone who wanted some got some. heck, it was all "their" wood, roadside and park and old cemetery cut, all the locals public wood, so they should get it. They were toting the note on getting it cut with property taxes.

Welcome to the site and great score and pics. Judging by all that oak, you are more south than west in OK.

What are your whereabouts? I am over near Altus.

Welcome to the site and great score and pics. Judging by all that oak, you are more south than west in OK.

What are your whereabouts? I am over near Altus.

I am over inbetween Lawton and Altus. Indiahoma is the nearest town.
I am surprised there is another flat lander on this forum!! Lol u are even more flat than me, u being surrounded by cotton and runways all around! Lol

Welcome. I'm also in flat land - there are a few parts of this state which are really flat, and this is one of them. City Manager asked the USGS for a topo map of the area to plan drainage - they sent him a blank map! He called them up and said he needed one marked at every foot, not every 10 feet!

Anyway, the important question we need to know about you is what color saw/s do you own?

Well all of my saws are stihls. I have 2 290s a 029 super. Not the fancy pro saws but I am fixing to change that. Just hard to drop that much coin on a new one and it's almost impossible to find used one around where I live and have some very bad luck buying saws on Internet. Although havent bought any off here. I like my 290s plenty of power for what I do and the weight doesn't bother me. (26 years old) I am just starting to work on saws so wanna get to the more easily repaired pro saws.

Real nice "rescue" wood there!

I just hate to see bulldozed up piles of trees, just goes against me some how.

Several years ago in one of my scouting expeditions I came across a big grove of BIG Black Locust. Looked like they were in the process of clearing it off. I put it on my list of "places to recheck" as I had enough on my cutting schedule for that year. Several years later I went back to find a nice level wheat field. There must have been at least 50 cord in that grove - all burned on piles.

Harry K

Several years ago in one of my scouting expeditions I came across a big grove of BIG Black Locust. Looked like they were in the process of clearing it off. I put it on my list of "places to recheck" as I had enough on my cutting schedule for that year. Several years later I went back to find a nice level wheat field. There must have been at least 50 cord in that grove - all burned on piles.

Harry K

See. that's what i can't understand, what goes through those guy's heads. I would look at a woods like that and think a lot of fuel and construction material, all valuable, quite valuable.

Would these guys, say, bulldoze up some barrels of gas or diesel and shove them to the side?

Some generations from now it is really going to hit home how wasteful humans have been, squandering what was given freely for artificial short term alleged profit..

That's the way to do it - good for you. Nice to see a young man not afraid of a little work. You will be better for it!

Well all of my saws are stihls. I have 2 290s a 029 super. Not the fancy pro saws but I am fixing to change that. Just hard to drop that much coin on a new one and it's almost impossible to find used one around where I live and have some very bad luck buying saws on Internet. Although havent bought any off here. I like my 290s plenty of power for what I do and the weight doesn't bother me. (26 years old) I am just starting to work on saws so wanna get to the more easily repaired pro saws.

I was in the pawn shop in the 300 block of south main of Altus last week and they had a Stihl MS460 on the shelf. Didn't look abused, but I didn't inspect it very close as I am not allowed to buy anymore saws due to 2nd baby going to be here in just over a month.

I was in the pawn shop in the 300 block of south main of Altus last week and they had a Stihl MS460 on the shelf. Didn't look abused, but I didn't inspect it very close as I am not allowed to buy anymore saws due to 2nd baby going to be here in just over a month.

Tough call:

Baby?

New saw?

hmmm....

Harry K

Back