Good "middle of the road" saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a 2nd saw. It will be used occasionally, almost entirely for firewood. I currently have a nice little Stihl with a 14" bar. Great saw, but a little small sometimes. I was thinking about one of their Wood Boss saws, probably and 18" or 20", either the 270 or 280. It will get all of 20 hours a year use, so I don't think I need a professional saw. However, I do like to over-buy my equipment, have always found a low-end commercial to be far better than a high-end residential piece of equipment.

A big factor in making a good choice on a second saw is getting something that won't overlap too much with what you already have. What's the model/engine displacement of your current saw? What type/size of wood do you plan or expect to cut?

The Stihl 270 and 280 saws are 50cc saws, capable of comfortably running a 16-18" bar in hardwood.

For a professional saw or saws that are considered to be best in the 50cc class, look toward the Husqvarna NE356XP (NE = new edition), Stihl 260, Dolmar 5100s.

If you're looking to replace your current saw with one saw for everything, you might want to look at saws around 60cc (or larger) that can run a 20" bar and 3/8" pitch chain.

Last edited:
All depends how wide your road is. For some, the middle of the road might be a new 441 or 460. More details please, thanks. :givebeer:

Looking to pick up a 2nd saw. It will be used occasionally, almost entirely for firewood. I currently have a nice little Stihl with a 14" bar. Great saw, but a little small sometimes. I was thinking about one of their Wood Boss saws, probably and 18" or 20", either the 270 or 280. It will get all of 20 hours a year use, so I don't think I need a professional saw. However, I do like to over-buy my equipment, have always found a low-end commercial to be far better than a high-end residential piece of equipment.

A buddy of mine bought that 270 WB a couple of years ago and loved it, until he got into some bigger locust and osage orange. I talking him into a 460 and he couldn't be happier.

Myself, I started with with the bigger saws, and just recently decided to pick up a lighter limber. I wouldn't trade my 260 Pro for 2 of his 270's. It depends what you cut and where your budget guides you.

I'm a Stihl guy myself.... I just recently bought my second saw and went with the MS 310 with the 20" bar which is the max suggested for that saw. I would like to have bought the MS 390 but couldn't justify the extra $100 difference. The 390 will run a 24" bar.
The 310 has 59 cc, The 390 has 64cc. I am a homeowner cutting firewood myself.

I'm a Stihl guy myself.... I just recently bought my second saw and went with the MS 310 with the 20" bar which is the max suggested for that saw. I would like to have bought the MS 390 but couldn't justify the extra $100 difference. The 390 will run a 24" bar.
The 310 has 59 cc, The 390 has 64cc. I am a homeowner cutting firewood myself.

You didn't mention what your other saw was, but if you were looking for the perfect, overall firewood saw, I would have recommened the 361. Yes, they really are that good.

What size of wood do you cut?

To the OP - how often are you in wood over 16". If hardly ever, a 50 cc is probably all you need. I don't know how much you want to spend, but I think I remember Sawtroll saying once that 'the best homeowner saw is a professional saw'. I have bought on that premise, only I do cut more than the average homeowner, and think the investment was worth it for me. I have never run an 361, but my 357xp is a similar saw and it is a fantastic firewood saw. Either saw (361, 357) would add a little 'fun' to your work. A $150 dollar difference on a saw isn't much over a 15-20 year period! But, having said that a 'pro' saw is certainly not necessary especially if money is tight.

Tim

Last edited:
Head over to the Tradin post.

Look for a used 260 or 346 Husky in good shape.

Done.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My cousin had a pretty good saw. He said it was in the middle of the road. He watched it fall off of a state truck in the middle of the road, and they never even stopped. He had it for a little while. It cut prob 2-3 cords of wood before it blew up. I have no idea why it did, it was not straight gassed though.

:agree2: Also if you were considering a 60cc there is a new ms 361 and jred 2156 over there (Tradin Post) that look nice - maybe a bit more $ though.

Tim

A buddy of mine bought that 270 WB a couple of years ago and loved it, until he got into some bigger locust and osage orange. I talking him into a 460 and he couldn't be happier.

Myself, I started with with the bigger saws, and just recently decided to pick up a lighter limber. I wouldn't trade my 260 Pro for 2 of his 270's. It depends what you cut and where your budget guides you.

I think the 270 is pretty close to a 260 performance wise, maybe even a little better stock. The biggest knock on the 270 is the weight which isn't an issue to most guys, especially if you just put down a 460. But the 280 over a 260 price wise I have to agree, WAY OVERPRICED!

Based on what you said in your post, I would recommend the Stihl ms310. I bought one years ago, it was the best I could afford at the time. I have cut tons of wood with that saw. I heat my house with wood and supply an elderly friend down the road with plenty also. It is Stihls homeowner saw, but far from junk. I did a muffler mod (simple to do) which made it run a little stronger. I run a 20" bar on mine. It is as dependable as any of my other saws. It has hundreds of hours on it...... never a problem.

Based on what you said in your post, I would recommend the Stihl ms310. I bought one years ago, it was the best I could afford at the time. I have cut tons of wood with that saw. I heat my house with wood and supply an elderly friend down the road with plenty also. It is Stihls homeowner saw, but far from junk. I did a muffler mod (simple to do) which made it run a little stronger. I run a 20" bar on mine. It is as dependable as any of my other saws. It has hundreds of hours on it...... never a problem.

I agree. Or possibly the new ms311. Only thing is the ms311 will be more $.

I'd say Husqvarna 359. Good middle of the road saw and not a whole bunch of money.

:agree2:

Nothing wrong with Stihl, but if you don't limit yourself to one brand, a good deal is more likely to appear...

Latest posts

Back