Good milling saw/chain combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james000222

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a saw for some milling work. I just bought 3.5 acres and I only have about say 20 or so pine trees from 12 to 20" in diameter. I know I will need to split the big ones.

Husqvarna 455 55.5cc 20"
Jonsered CS 2255 55.5cc 20"
Echo CS-590-20 59.8cc 20"

Q1: Any experience with any of those? They all look good in reviews.

I've read the reviews here and it looks like Huskys are popular, but I can't find a drive link number for a ripping chain anywhere.

Q2: I suspect I need to buy the saw and get specific data off the bar for a replacement/ripping chain?

The only ripping chain I can find that fits the Echo is from Granberg.

Q3: Are some chains really hard to find - like for that Echo?

Thanks! J

You need a bar longer than 20" to mill 20" logs if you're using an Alaskan type mill that clamps the end of the bar- you loose a couple inches there.

The Echo uses 3/8 chain, .050 gauge. I think the others are 3/8 and probably .050 too as it's very common. You can get loops of ripping chain from Baileys, either their house brand or Oregon. They make it in .325 too.

If you're going to be doing much milling you'll probably want a larger saw. I used my 59cc ms362 to rip a bunch of 3-4' eucalyptus firewood rounds into manageable chunks and wished I had a larger saw. Ripping/milling is slow. I used the Baileys ripping chain and it was about twice as fast as sharp cross cut chain.

I'm trying to decide on a saw for some milling work. I just bought 3.5 acres and I only have about say 20 or so pine trees from 12 to 20" in diameter. I know I will need to split the big ones.

Husqvarna 455 55.5cc 20"
Jonsered CS 2255 55.5cc 20"
Echo CS-590-20 59.8cc 20"

Q1: Any experience with any of those? They all look good in reviews.

I've read the reviews here and it looks like Huskys are popular, but I can't find a drive link number for a ripping chain anywhere.

Q2: I suspect I need to buy the saw and get specific data off the bar for a replacement/ripping chain?

The only ripping chain I can find that fits the Echo is from Granberg.

Q3: Are some chains really hard to find - like for that Echo?

Thanks! J
The only difference with ripping chain is the cutter design. Just know your pitch, gauge and drive link count. I have some woodland pro ripping chain from Bailey's and it's good stuff but I've also used regular non-safety chain with good results. Milling can be done with the saws you listed but I would suggest bigger if possible.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thanks I will def visit that milling forum. Yes I know about the 2" difference from the reading I've done, but most of the trees I have are less than 18". I bought an Echo already but it's only 40cc and based on the docs I read at Granberg that's too small...but I also don't want a huge chainsaw either...
Thanks again - J

Huge saw? Bigger the better in regards to milling. If you can pick up 25 lbs then you can pick an ms 660 with a 36 inch bar in a mill. Once in the cut handling the weight is moot. Cross cut chain works fine. Just reduce the top plate angle on successive sharpenings. As mentioned, go to the milling forum and read up. Lots of good info there and folks willing to help you out. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back