good news and bad news

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's been a while since i posted here on AS, so I wanted to catch some of you old heads up on the news here...
Bad news first.... ( i know MM is gonna have a field day with this one)

I was sending my men down south last fall, a couple weeks before Thanksgiving, to grind stumps in south florida after the hurricane. I got a call on Friday afternoon at 4:30... "we just flipped the trailer"... Would you please repeat that... cause I can't believe what I just heard...

There was piece of retread in their lane... driver swerved to miss it and the trailer started fishtailing. Jumped off the hitch, emergency trailer brakes kicked in and spun the whole unit. When the trailer got sideways, it flipped twice with a 2004 Rayco Super RG-50. This all happenned on I-95, 15 miles north of the fla/ga state line, in friday afternnon rush hour. Thank God no one was hurt and no other vehicles were involved.

That shut the whole deal down... The 7K it took to fix the machine was just the tip of the iceberg.... Probably a total hit of 25K or more including lost profits...

That hurt!

Now for the good news. I AM BACK... Ever since I got Lyme in '98 I haven't really been climbing the monster trees. Mostly because I didn't have the physical conditioning to do them and get up and work the next day. Fortunately I have had some world class climbers helping out on a part time basis and it all worked out really well.

Last summer I decided to make a big push for self care. Cleaned up the diet, weight and cardio training, yoga, hebs and supplements etc.. I dropped 25 lbs, and 4-6" in the waist and was feeling great.

So I just got into a couple of really big trees over the past couple of weeks and there is no doubt in my mind that with all the new gear, friction hitch, spliced eye rope, better climbing and hand saws, blocks, slings, foot locking, GRCS etc... that I AM faster and safer than I have ever been.

I know a lot of you guys climb big nasty trees everyday and may think "so what".... but it means a lot to me to come back this strong. A lot of what I do now has evelved from things I learned here on AS.. So thanks to all of you for sharing so freely. It made a big difference.

Hey, welcome back and glad to hear you are doing so good! Equipment can be replaced, you can't. Also, glad no one was hurt in the accident.

Yeah welcome back bro. Sorry bout the stumper thats a bummer.
Glad you feeling fit lyme is some nasty stuff i knew a girl that got it and took 3 years to get better.
Its so much better to have your health than just about anything .Good to hear you are back in the monsters. Dark

Hi Dan good to see you back,bad news about the grinder...I might try and take a leaf out of your book and get into a fitness regime..

Welcome back Dan!

I spend a bit of time out hunting, other than trees... I am always fearful of contracting Lyme.

Glad to hear you are doing better!

Ladders...
Let's say it means I AM free from ladder DEPENDENCY.... still keep (2) 24', and a 32' aluminum on the truck... Will put a 40' up there when I switch vehicles. remeber getting a ladder set in a tree is as easy as saying... "set the ladder up on that tree please"... then I just walk up... That's pretty easy...

I set a foot locking line in the backyard at 57' and like to go up 3x a day minimun... just to get the blood flowing and work on my technique... With the ascendsers I can foot lock up to 100' no problem... and i still like the ladders for a quick lift.... set 5 or 6 pull lines from ladders yesterday... Heavy back leaners over a graveyard... was pulling a few of them with the pick up truck and the chip truck and set up 2:1 ma on a couple of the heavier ones. Only put the spikes on once and used the throw ball once as it was getting dark.

murphy4trees said:
The 7K it took to fix the machine was just the tip of the iceberg.... Probably a total hit of 25K or more including lost profits...

murph,
Insurance didn't cover the stumper? Oh yeah, welcome back too!

Who set a footlocking line in the tree in the backyard? It's as easy as saying "hey put a rope up in that tree please, thanx bro". :buttkick:

HA HA Big Jon....
Ya that was pretty easy come to think of it... though I did move it and need to find a place where I can hang it unobstructed to 50'.... then the bell, then all your a$$es are mine.... LOL... just kidding of course... wouldn't want to start a Roachy-Cameron kinda thing here... you know I'll always respect my teachers...
ps got the dragonfly and the Bfly2 in today... they're still in the plastic...

Murph,
sorry about the machine & headaches that no doubt followed!!! but glad to see ya in good spirits & health. Take care & be safe....
LXT...............................:cheers:

Welcome back. Glad you're feeling better and climbing stronger.

Are you gonna write anymore articles for TCIA? Your Tapered hinge article is still one of the best.

Chris

From one guy who's back in the saddle, to another, glad to have you back in the saddle. You drop me your address. I'm going to send you a 'Welcome Back' gift. Rock on, 'bro.

Latest posts

Back