Good oak for Maine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redoakman

redoakman

ArboristSite Operative
thats what I mean that but log would of vennered few years ago but theres way to many good strieght red oak right now taking up the market .is what my buyers are telling me . hard maple is supposed to be going down here soon is what ive heard.

treeslayer2003

treeslayer2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
You guys have much big red oak Mike or is it allot of soft maple and poplar?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
yeah we have some. red oak seems to be in trouble here, but we have at least half a dozen sub species including northern and southern red oak. cherry bark and rock oak do the best money wise, but have to be on good ground to find those. white oak is where the money is here.

bitzer

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Clean soft/hard maple still better then oak, but prices are slipping I hear.

Colton how tall do yer oaks get? My tallest have been 66' to a 10" small end. Ash and basswood push 70' to 10". Not many of those tho. When I get in tall timber it averages 50' to the 10" end.

coltont

coltont

The woodboss
I'm on a tract now that has stupid tall timber. Quite often were getting 2 42 foot sticks of logs then pulp on top of that. I'd say average for around here would be about 80 feet of usable log. That's on nice timber, the boss doesn't like to cut junk. Having a boss like that is a double edged sword.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts