good replacement for magnolia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I removed 5 magnolia trees for a client due to the fact that he didn't realize they drop leaves so much and that they would grow to tall for his taste but he wants something to replace two of them that were in a natural area, he wants something that will mature at around 15 feet and doesn't drop leaves except for the fall, he wants a round spread and doesn't want anything like Leland cypress or of that sort nor does he want dogwood, weeping cherry or Japanese maple so what can he use?

thanks

if leaves are a problem :laugh: wall-mart has a good selection on fake trees. i recommend redbuds, flowering crabapples, and crapemyrtle's are nice unfortunately they all have issues dropping leave's.

WLL took all my suggestions. If the client doesn't like dropping leaves, he probably won't like the fruit from the crabapple either. This is in a natural area and he is still anxious about leaves?

In addition to WLL's list how about Stewartia ovata, is native to NC, or what about some of the larger shrubs/small trees? The viburnums have a large selection. Some of the Ilexspecies?

Do you know what look he is going for? Shade, sunny, windy?

Sylvia

thanks, I'll past on these suggestions, anyone have anymore.
im glad your asking these q's Rf. plant the shade trees east and west of the house to lower your cooling bill and add beauty and value to the property. trees will conserve energy by lowering your heating and cooling bills. block the wind, feed you with awesome fruits and nuts,many flowering trees attract song birds, provide nesting sights, and give food and cover to a wide verity of wildlife. ahhhh.... nature is my church:clap: !! trees do much better when planted in the right spots. that poor old man needs an arborist not a cutter. Amen brother, keep up the good work and stay of the knee:)

Bracken Brown Beauty Magnolia fits those qualifications somewhat and drops very little. Flowers, shiny leaves, 15' ht. max, can be cut back, what's not to like.

Back