good saw for limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
wondering what route to go with stihl husky johnsered??i would like to get a small saw for limbing and small jobs around the house.ive had a ms170 before and liked it.i never had a small husky.i looked the johnsereds but i had heard that polan or something makes there smaller saws???not real sure but out on that if thats the case.any input would be great.ive owned quit a few stihls and one husky 272xp.

I'd highly recommend a husqvarna 536li XP equipped with a 1/4" sprocket and Stihls 1/4" .043 bar and chain. I use it every day for carving. ...but I've also got a 7 acre property to maintain. This is the first saw I grab when limbing, pruning, and cutting small diameter trees(and I have about 20 different saws to choose from, mostly Stihls).

wondering what route to go with stihl husky johnsered??i would like to get a small saw for limbing and small jobs around the house.ive had a ms170 before and liked it.i never had a small husky.i looked the johnsereds but i had heard that polan or something makes there smaller saws???not real sure but out on that if thats the case.any input would be great.ive owned quit a few stihls and one husky 272xp.

It just depends on what weight of saw you want to limb with:

light: 562 (or J-Red equal)
lighter: 346 (or J-Red equal), 550 (or J-Red equal), 260/261
lightest: 201 rear handle or 180

I have a little stihl 192 rear handle that I really like. Echo also makes some nice little saws that would fit the bill.

If you are just cutting small limbs, a ms170/180 or a ms250 for a little bigger stuff.... Not sure what husky is same size as those..... I have a ms180 I rebuilt, I can tell ya this I used it and have decided to keep it.... I got "pro" saws I use 90% of the time, but this ms180 is awesome to limb with.... It is so light it's like using a toy....just to give her a gut check I have buried her 16" bar in ash and although it ain't a speed demon, she does get threw it..... I have a nice spot were I have recently been cutting only shagbark hickory, and I have been using the piss out of this ms180....

So I personally would get the smallest and lightest saw I would need...I know I have big maples and some persimmon trees in my yard and anytime a bigger limb falls I am always happen to break out the ms180!!!!

ported husky 390 with 36" bar :numberone:
No bending over thata way, Like they way yer thinkin! Climbing with it is still possible..........and you'd be one tough SOB too after draggin that up a tree then up and down a lanyard as you went. I'd climb with an ms 460 cuz that's the one saw I got and I'm a stubborn ass lol. Or a 390 if that's what I had, make er work.........what don't kill ya make ya stronger

If the battery Husqvarna saw is enough for what you consider limbing I will also recommend that should the budget go that high. It can run 3/8lp and quarter inch chain in 6 and 8 tooth spur sprockets,

The Jonsorend top handle 2139t is still available, can get a rim kit and then can run 1/4, 3/8lp, and 0.325 chain. It is essentially a Husqvarna 338xpt certainly not a re badged Poulan though they are all the same parent company.

A good 40-50cc saw with a short bar would be my choice. 346, 545/550, 241/261ne, etc. , with a 13" (56dl) .325" bar and chain. This setup will be light enough to limb all day long, with enough power to fell and buck and make proper plunge cuts, too.

thanks for all the replys.a 390?? yeh right.im thinking maybe a stihl ms311 a buddy picked one up new with 20in bar for 479.00 i tried to see whats comparible in a husky but my gosh what a price difference,like sunday i seen a 534xp at the local qualitly farm store.$529.99 for a 43cc saw??quite a price difference.

thanks for all the replys.a 390?? yeh right.im thinking maybe a stihl ms311 a buddy picked one up new with 20in bar for 479.00 i tried to see whats comparible in a husky but my gosh what a price difference,like sunday i seen a 534xp at the local qualitly farm store.$529.99 for a 43cc saw??quite a price difference.

Weird how the highest quality saws cost more than consumer grade...

Back