Good saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah... it won't cut worth a dang... send it to me and I'll store it properly for you....

Oops... wait a minute... I have a 460 also...

Unless you're cutting nothing but big wood, its the right saw, best all around working saw in my opinion. fast, light, maneuverable, can run a longish bar no problem, lots of pep, I like the 460, fine saw.

You can order the same saw without the carbide chain & rafter cutting attachment . As I recall think the dealer said it was the W version.

ive got a 460 also, its a nice saw, it cuts great and has lots of power. although i need to get a longer bar on mine the stock 18'' bar looks silly.

You can order the same saw without the carbide chain & rafter cutting attachment . As I recall think the dealer said it was the W version.
It is offered in several versions; standard, W (full wrap), Arctic (we can only get this one with full wrap) and RS. The carbide chain is only good for demolition work, not recommended for regular cross cutting.

its possible thats what he wants it for. he might be part of a FD somewhere? how do you sharpen a carbide chain, if it can cut through metal and such wouldent a file do almost nothing?

Wonder what the thoughts are on how good a stihl ms460rs will cut trees? thanks.
A lot depends on whether where it is coming from, if it is surplus out of a firestation it may be good for parts.
Fireman are not known for taking good care of their tools, like during fire drills & training that saw may have been left running for hours setting on concrete.

I have looked a 044s right out a airport rescue that needed new cases from running on concrete

If new than switch out the parts for regular chains & bars.

Zackman, you are right, a file will not touch it. A diamond wheel on a bench grinder operated by a competent is the ticket.

Not all firemen abuse thier tools, maybe there are a few instances, but for the most part, we take care of what we have, our tools are our lifeline. After every training session our demo saws, chainsaws, ect all are taken apart, cleaned and maintiained. As being a luitenant in my fire department, I know when I am up on a roof to vent a structure, my saws better be ready to go, cause your time ticks away very fast as to how long and safe you can be when you are up there. All of our aparatus and equipment are maintained to the highest of standards because they cant fail when we need them. Firefighters are hard on tools, but look at the conditions we work in, time is critical in many cases, but in no ways can you say that we all abuse them. We have a backup Stihl demo saw from the mid 80's....it still fires up on the first or second pull and looks brand new.
As for the MS460, its a great saw, I have 2 in my arsenal of saws, one of be best ground saws out I believe. I also was able to demo the Rescue Version of this saw and it is just as great. Hopefully will be getting 1 or 2 for my deptartment for the 1st due trucks. Cant go wrong with the 460.

Not all firemen abuse thier tools, maybe there are a few instances, but for the most part, we take care of what we have, our tools are our lifeline. After every training session our demo saws, chainsaws, ect all are taken apart, cleaned and maintiained. As being a luitenant in my fire department, I know when I am up on a roof to vent a structure, my saws better be ready to go, cause your time ticks away very fast as to how long and safe you can be when you are up there. All of our aparatus and equipment are maintained to the highest of standards because they cant fail when we need them. Firefighters are hard on tools, but look at the conditions we work in, time is critical in many cases, but in no ways can you say that we all abuse them. We have a backup Stihl demo saw from the mid 80's....it still fires up on the first or second pull and looks brand new.
As for the MS460, its a great saw, I have 2 in my arsenal of saws, one of be best ground saws out I believe. I also was able to demo the Rescue Version of this saw and it is just as great. Hopefully will be getting 1 or 2 for my deptartment for the 1st due trucks. Cant go wrong with the 460.
You may be the exception to the rule, sorry I have looked at too many saws with damaged cases from running on concrete.

You think one of the countrys largest airport DFW would have the best trained fireman. But they treat their saws like crap.

Always look at the bottoms, that tells the tale

Just take what you consider to be the top 3-4 brands and go to the shops and hold them, running is prefered. If they won't let you run one, they ain't worth buying from. Feel and balance are very important, I prefer the feel of a husky much better that a Stihl. That doesn't make one better than the other, just a preference. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back