Good saws you don't hear much about.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solo

mixed feelings on this Manf. not to much of a dealer network....who would want to be a dealer if the Manf. sells from their web site. Dolmar is making promises (keeping my fingers crossed) that they are working on a seemless dealer network. My problem is that alot of regular customers have never heard of Dolmar........................as for the stihl 08 priceless...it says alot for a saw to have the engines manf. for 20 plus years as a quick cut "350"

Saws

Older Poulans were great saws, the ones with the hand oilers... I used one of those for about 5 years when I was a young guy cutting about 30 cord of wood every year + my uncle's. Another one that doesnt' get very good reviews was a series of craftsman built about 10 yrs ago. My buddy had one and when I first moved back up from NC and didn't have a saw we used his for 3 summers straight. That was like 3 or 4 full days/week cutting all kinds of stuff, firewood, clearing roads, cutting brush etc... It ran like a champ and never had any problems. He passed away and I wondered what happened to it, whether the fam kept it or not???

Good thread dude...

:cheers: eh?

Some of the older macs were tough saws10-10, 600,700,800 series we still use some at work and they are heavy and loud but tough.

Really liked my Partner P70. Always seemed to run good, at least by my non-professional standards, with minimum amount of fuss and muss. Sorry when the Company was vaporized into the Husky/Electolux maze and parts became impossible to find.

Hugenpoet

Wood Cutter said:
EFCO BABY!!!!!!!!!! Never gets anything, oh well, I enjoy running the best.

Olympyk/Emak/Efco/Oleo-Mac saws seem to be overlooked a lot. Typically they're a littler heavier than equivalent Stihl/Husqvarna/Jonsered models but they're well-built and extremely tough machines with a lot of power. The fit and finish of the pro models of these saws is nice too.

Olympyk/Emak/Efco/Oleo-Mac saws seem to be overlooked a lot. Typically they're a littler heavier than equivalent Stihl/Husqvarna/Jonsered models but they're well-built and extremely tough machines with a lot of power. The fit and finish of the pro models of these saws is nice too.

yup they sure are. Wish I would have never gotten rid of my 999

How about the old 2-10 auto oiler right hand starter mac. I have one that is nearly perfect and the old rat is noisey but is about as reliable as my cummins 12v. It is funner to cut fast with a slow saw than slow with a fast saw.

. Another one that doesnt' get very good reviews was a series of craftsman built about 10 yrs ago. My buddy had one and when I first moved back up from NC and didn't have a saw we used his for 3 summers straight. That was like 3 or 4 full days/week cutting all kinds of stuff, firewood, clearing roads, cutting brush etc... It ran like a champ and never had any problems. He passed away and I wondered what happened to it, whether the fam kept it or not???

Good thread dude...

:cheers: eh?
Cisco, my father in law has a Craftsman that I think came from a similar era as the one you ran. This one is mostly dark green, and the body style looks more like a Shindaiwa/Tanaka.-Especially the the air filter cover. It also uses the large style bar nuts like Stihl. Although the saw was bought used so they might be incorect. It says "Professional series 3.1 cubic inch". It starts well and has decent power but it has a funky bar pattern that we couldn't match up. Does this sound like the one you were referring to?

well since i havent heard anyone mention this saw, and you all have heard of it, so its not like its a suprise, but one of my faves from the past was the old homeylite tank called the xl. i have ran several different ones and owned a couple and i think it was one of the most durable saws on the market. but thats my 2 cents.

other brands

i have three john deere branded emaks. damded solid sawz. i hate to say it but they are better built than they look.they have magnesium lower ends and plastic fuel rear handle on the bigger saws, plastic on all the homeowners specials. six point av versus others that only use three or four pint av systems:clap:

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back