good used rope wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bass_on_tap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some good strong rope (used) that I can use to pull awkwardly leaning trees in the direction I want. I'm looking for something 1/2 in or bigger in diameter and 75' to 150' in lenght. I need to mention that I am not a professional and have had good luck using the rope method to assist/compensate for my lack of experience in falling by cut and/or wedge methods alone. That is why I'm looking for USED, strong rope. There's no money in falling trees for me, just do it for firewood and when friends need firewood. Sometimes, I even use pulleys and a vehicle with a light foot and lots of finese. That's why it has to be strong. Thanks Dave

I didnt know how I wanted to reply to this thread.
Brian nailed it though, is $100.00 too much?
Sherril sells a 5/8" 3 strand bull rope (150') for 68.00 NEW.

I have 100's of feet of old retired rope but would not ever consider selling it to someone, sentimental value?, i think not.

To quote Don Blair's Rope care commandments--

comandment #5- thou shall know the paths that thy rope has traveled.
commandment # 10-If thy rope offends thee, thou shall cut it with a knife and cast it into the deepest pit.

courtesy-Arborist equipment by Donald Blair page #90.

forget using rope, get a steel cable. much stronger and will outlast a rope. i cut a lot of firewood and we have several cables to pull trees over or to pull brush. they also make a good tow chain:D . i would suggest 3/8" diameter at a minimum with chain hooks on both ends- that way you don't kink the cable and can wrap a chain around the tree where you tie on.

Thats just my opinion, take it for what it's worth

Charles W

consider wire rope

wire rope is reasonably priced, it stores easy , and the 1/4 inch has a tensile of 1000lbs or more, use it and a comealong ......

I see your point, thank you for setting me straight. I didn't think of the safty issue. I'm being penny wise- pound foolish. I looked at the Sherrill site and will probably buy there. Thanks again. Dave

i forgot about the stretch factor. we have LOTS of extra cable sitting around. the neighbor has lots of scrap cable from his winch trucks and cranes. I just always pick up a new chunk of cable every time we start to fray one. we also use a nylon strap to tie the cable to the tree when pulling on it. we usually pull on the tree with a tractor or with a 1 ton pickup. Since there is someone in the truck the entire time, they can keep tension on the cable as the tree starts to move.

Charles W

Wow!! He even uses pulleys and a vehicle with finesse. Finesse doesn't make up for a lack of skills. Darwin here we come.

Too cheap to buy a good line but yet he is using a computer. From the public library??

Just guessing you can't afford chaps, saftey glasses, or hearing protection while you can probably afford Pabst and Pall Malls or Cool Menthols.

Get a new rope, or are you afraid of snapping a new rope?? With all of that light foot finesse and fancy pulleys, a new rope should last several years.

Ya'll scare me.

Really.

Cost per foot makes climbing and bull ropes some of the best deals around - cheaper than even the crap they sell at True Value and Ace. Quiet about it though, they'll probably raise the prices like they did for sailing tack.

But if you're on the real cheap - tug boats and river barges for some 1.5 to 2 inch stuff.

I'm looking forward to reading about it under injuries and fatalities?

If you want cable, I have a boat load of elevator cable I picked up a while back. Still not sure why:confused:

Tex - don't give that cable away!!!

plenty of uses abound around here. Luckenbach needs some and so does Lady Bird's dealies.

That bid in Boerne went sour - she wanted 75% off the low bid and grind all the stumps. Ha ha I told her.

i'd get a throwline to place high leverage pull, for easiest, most positive power. Very cheap. Very high utility, excellent augmentation to line. Can make things immediately easier, more safe by being more positive force without climbing. Goggles, Plugs, Brain Bucket if ya gots something to pro-tect.

Learn bowline, clove, stopper knots, perhaps butterfly, you can go very far without cutting line at max strength and flexability. Learn to store the line, make it last and trouble free.

Also might learn a 3/1 Z-rig. 2 men on a 3/1 pulling from a high leverage point can pull a lot of trees down easily, with no mechanical failure, and quicker than a come along, which can be pretty handy, but slow. Power is power, portable power can go more places. Learning tricks can be real cheap, or costly; i'd soak up what i could ..........

If gathering firewood, i'd make the easy drops, load truck over axle, and only pull with truck on sound, no slip ground that i walked out first. The extra weight will give more positive bite. A sling and pulley can really help pulling from an angle a truck can't go positively. Even if there is only one good truck run, with a pulley and sling (always have line extra long, look at it as and investment andd the ends geeting worn aand line getting shorter) you can redirect that pull to any anchor, then target tree. Helps rule out chancey decisions. Biggest mistake is pulling to hard and scared without truck unnecesarily. Generally, all ya got to do is tip it slightly your way, and let nature take it's course.

i think wire is a lil stiff and heavy to werk too, and has no rubber band like Brian said. And i'm astounded at how much strength, utitlity and wear wee get from these lines for the cost too, especially compared to 'hardware' prices/grades (of which i'd want a tight - no snagging, grit admittaance double braid at least 1/2"). The tree ropes are stronger, cheaper and more resilient to all the dragging we put them thru. Then slings, pulleys, karaabgs open up a whole new world..........; before friction devices.

Unless against wind, back lean, straight up or extreme side lean, with a high line of leverage (trace down back for most security, easy release etc.) you need very little truck pull, at the right time, generally when not cutting face...

A lot of this, can cost nothing, 120' of arborplex and throw line can be under $85(?), jump to 150' and be under 100? Throw line can be simple and wonderfull. Oh and don't cross your face cuts, make them meet perfectly like a craftsman!

Last edited:
It was mentioned the danger of a used rope when it breaks which is great. I have never seen a small rope break but I have seen barge ropes break. Oakwilt mentioned 1.5 to 2 inch dia ropes. Those are tiny. The rope used by barges passing through lock chambers is close to 4 inches in diameter. I am sure a 1/2 rope is dangerous when it breaks but I have seen 4 inch head lines break when the captain puts 5000 HP against it. It is not pretty. When just drifting in if the deckhand gets the line in a bind they will break also. I can say the worst I have seen personally is a broken leg but death has occured from the broken line. Used rope is worthless for using under tension. I do have a use for used barge rope as weight over tarps though. There is no danger there.

Just my observations,

Bill

I'll sell you some USED Rope, do you want the one that i accidentally nicked with a saw? Or the one I pulled the 23000 lbs bucket truck out of the Mud with? Or the one i was Testing with and Shock loading with a 40" X 6' Spar of Red oak? :D

I actually have 120' of 1/2" 3 strand safety blue that needs a home. I don't carry it on the truck anymore so it is just sitting in the closet aging. It has been used for rigging. It isn't new but it isn't worn out by any means. If somebody wants it email/pm me. Your address and $25 will get it shipped.:angel:

I mentioned earlier that people had died from broken barge lines. Last week a deckhand was killed about 50 miles up river from me. He was hit in the head by the line when it broke.

Bill

Back